First problem was when we realised we had bought an inappropriate sink and tap. Retailers Good Guys were fine with that and we selected a different sink and tap. That was our fault.
Second problem. The sink once opened from the box was damaged, so we had it exchanged, meaning another trip to the store to exchange for a an undamaged one.
Third problem, although the timeline was four weeks, Easter came in between and delayed things.
Fourth problem. The undersink shelf would not longer fit. We cut the shelf to fit better but put the dishwasher inlet hose tap under stress and it leaked. We cut another hole in the shelf for the hose. But although we did not think there would be a problem, once hot water ran through the dishwasher outlet, because the hose was tight against the shelf, it not only leaked by the hose split when it is attached. We were lucky that we could cut away the split part and still had a few millimetres for the worm driver to clamp on to.
On the positive side, tradies were very complimentary about our choice of cook top. High quality, they said. I can't see it myself but it looks nice and works. The stone benchs went in without a problem, as did the sink.
D Day was to be last Monday. The new doors and panels arrived and the new cupboards. Two of the drawers were damaged and we were told they would be fixed and returned later. To our surprise, no electrician came to install the oven and apparently that wasn't part of the company's job. That was a misunderstanding. We had our own electrician install the oven two days later, and the sparky couldn't believe the weight of the new oven, being very heavy. He can normally lift them on his own but we had to help. The brand of the oven and hot plates is Ilve, made in Italy.
The tolerances were so tight between the oven door and the corner cupboards, I just knew there would be a problem and sure enough, the corner door would not clear the oven door. Fed up was perhaps a bit of an understatement. I was on the balcony, out of the way, when R came out in despair. He asked if I knew Italian screws had slightly different heads to Australian screws? No, I replied. They do, he said, and the electricians drill just slipped off a screw and hit the cupboard door and scratched it. The sparky is such a nice bloke and we have used his company for years, so it was hard to get angry with him. He said, give your kitchen company my phone number and we will work something out.
The lads were due to return Friday with the new drawers. We had spoken to the boss about our problems and he said perhaps the two corner doors will have to be replaced. Well, ok, but if they are not back by first thing Tuesday morning, then the kitchen will not be finished until after our holiday.
R had to be up early this morning for the work to be done. The scratch was touched up, the missing drawers put in and the corner cupboard door planed down. It is finally finished. We aren't getting anything done around here for quite some time. While tradespeople were all very pleasant and co-operative, we have had enough of them.
Here goes some fun with moving pictures around. I thought it would be a disaster and it is and even worse when I preview it, but I am spending no more time on it.
Looks like a laundry trough in our kitchen, I quipped to R. It does have a stainless steel draining board that can be attached, which will only ever get used if the dishwasher breaks down. The new stone bench tops sit over the old black granite tops.
Note the new cupboards under the bar. They are shallow, say two normal sized cans deep, but very useful.
Had I looked at my own photo closely, I would have noticed that the dishwasher hose is split where it is attached to the trap.
A keen eye can perhaps see the scratch made by the electrician. I'll just blame the Italians and their screws. Italian screws are not all they are cracked up to be. I've heard this before. The mark was just touched up and is not visible now, although you can just feel where it was.
Before the new oven was installed, even this tolerance was too small, with a little scraping at times.
But after the new oven was installed, no more scraping on that side, instead we had an uncloseable door on the other side. It had to be close fit to cover over the remaining brown. The yellow staining is from the old oven that has very poor sealing.
Lastly, the fix for the non closing door was to remove this hinge, plane back the door a few millimetres, paint it and put it back and it now cleared the oven door.
Job done, good lads, now bugger orf and and allow us to enjoy our new kitchen.