Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sydney Day 4 Saturday Pt 2

After our visit to Manly we caught another ferry and now we are en route to Taronga Zoo. Diners are still at Fort Denison.


Approaching Athol Wharf. What is the chairlift about? No one was using it. It runs over the top of the zoo. Three buses seemed to be there to meet the ferry and indicated they would take us to the main entrance. We hopped aboard the second and the bus climbed the steep hill to the zoo entrance. I did use my Opal but many did not. I am not sure if it is a free trip. Before the Sydney tram system closed, many visitors arrived at the zoo by tram. The road down the steep hill beside the zoo was at times problematic, as you can see back in this post from last year.


The zoo entrance. I speculated that the entrance price would be nearly $30. I nearly died when I saw it was $46. It was a little cheaper for R. We really did hesitate before paying. I have just checked and Melbourne Zoo is $30 and I think better value, but you don't get the scenery.


We were at times distracted from looking at the animals by the views. On informal zigzagging paths we slowly made our way down the steep hill.


Komodo dragon from Indonesia. They will attack and kill people.



Looks like an alligator to me. Alligators aren't Australian, in spite of us having a river named after them.


Another fearsome looking chap.


Cute.


Not cute.


More cuteness.


There are two tails, so there must be another head somewhere.


I love lizards.



I had not really noticed this model sitting on a rock. From the corner of my eye I just saw a rock, somewhere to stand up on to take photos. I turned to step up and nearly died when I saw the model. I haven't had such a fright for a very long time.


You can pay extra to feed some of the animals, including the giraffes. They seem a little shorter than the giraffes at Melbourne zoos. Perhaps they are different breed. Note the advantage of having a zoo on a steep hill.


Don't ask me.


Strangely, I have never ever seen any sort of seal show. I think back to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna which I did not like seeing. I would not rate a seal show as being in the same league and it did raise awareness of looking after our marine environment, especially among the young spectators. The seals perform for reward of small fish being thrown to them. The show was very entertaining and their antics were quite amazing.





Male gorilla being a grumpy husband and father. Mother protectively clutched her baby close to her chest.


We left the gorillas but grumpy exited the main stage into this room at the side and came up close to the window to glare at us.


The old elephant enclosure, no longer used.


A wings spread out display just for us.


A hippo.


Pelican.


The Italian ship still hanging around.


The seals have quite a large area for swimming. This chap/chapess was on its own.


There is a small beach without very good access, I think. The authorities may not want to encourage people to use it.


Quite a chop on the harbour now, with the naval ships still at their base.


Government House, the residence of the State Governor, sits to the east of Circular Quay.


The vertical garden at Pullman  illuminated at night.


From our balcony down below in the tangle of buildings and streets of East Sydney we could see a large old building flying a rainbow flag. With the aid of google maps, I worked out the building was the Lord Roberts Hotel. Fancy trying it for dinner, my dear? I am in the mood for a pub meal. We walked down the steep slope of Stanley Street. R, note the wide sweeping curve of Stanley and Yurong Streets, so shaped for when the tram used to turn the corner.


Lord Roberts was a brilliant find. It was buzzing with atmosphere and people. Ok, this is not a good photo of a buzzing atmosphere.


We had very nice meals in the upper dining area and as seats had become available on the adjacent outdoor deck, we moved out there after dinner. At the side of us a metre away were the tree tops in Riley Street.


An ad for Fat Yak beer. The steep slope down in Stanley Street became a steep hill to ascend when we left. We took it slowly, admiring houses or not. There are lots of restaurants along Stanley Street to be sampled, which we would have done had we been staying longing.

34 comments:

  1. That beach at the bottom of the zoo is reasonably accessible by foot. We have disembarked the ferry at the zoo stop before and walked through the trail in the Sydney Harbour National Park from where you can reach these beaches. We walked to Chowder Bay; a leisurely walk of over an hour with stops to admire scenic locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, that does sound like a nice walk and not too steep I hope.

      Delete
    2. From memory there is a colony of penguins at this beach the zoo look after.

      Delete
    3. Now that I think about it, the walk does have its ups and downs. Maybe not one for you and R to attempt.

      Delete
    4. I think I gilded the lily a bit describing it as a 'leisurely' walk. Read too many real estate descriptions, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    5. Victor, are you intimating we not up to it? Challenge taken and added to the list for the next Sydney visit.

      Delete
    6. Allan, pleased to hear that. I think there are penguins within the zoo, but we did not see them.

      Delete
  2. $46?!!!! That is a lot of money. A family day at the zoo wouldn't come cheap. The views are incredible though.
    I don't do snakes well. Lizards are fine, snakes do my head in. And I think I would have had a heart attack if I had suddenly seen that model on the rock - particularly after the Komodo Dragon exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, an annual pass is only a bit over $100 and you can use it for Melbourne and Adelaide zoos and Dubbo I think too. Like you, I don't like snakes at all.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, the Fort is so interesting. I love your zoo the entrance is very interesting. I love lizards but I am afraid of them..Are they dangerous? In Poland lizards are very small. My favourite animal is giraffe it was my nickname at primary schol. At that time I was as tall as giraffe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, lizards are generally not a problem. Some will bite but they aren't poisonous and would only bite if they felt threatened. You must have been tall when you were young. I guess you still are.

      Delete
  4. Expensive yes but have to admit I enjoyed visiting if only to see the duck billed platypus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, we ran out of time and energy to see everything. Always leave yourself a reason to return.

      Delete
  5. FFS Google just lost my comment again. :(

    We were members at Adelaide for many years. I recommend becoming members at Melbourne - http://www.zoo.org.au/members :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, FFS? Three visits to our zoos annually and it is usually cheaper to buy and annual membership.

      Delete
    2. FFS=for f***s sake

      Delete
  6. Ah the Zoo with a view. Havent been in yonks. I remember going on the Elephant rides there as a kid. The Lord Roberts used to be a gathering place on a Sunday for the Sydney Bears. And yes Stanley Street is well known for its Italian Restaurants. Next trip you can sample them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, haha about Sydney Bears. It seems a fairly straight place now.

      Delete
  7. The views are lovely but I've always had a bit of a problem with zoos. I do get that some have very good breeding programmes for endangered species, but too often it seems to be a case of animals being kept in inappropriate conditions. Because of this I haven't been to a zoo since I was about 9 so perhaps my perception isn't accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I haven't been to our zoo for a while but I don't think any animal is in an old style pen. Sydney has room for improvement in this area but I am sure it is a work in progress. What horror were those small rock and concrete structures containing large roaming creatures.

      Delete
  8. I'm enjoying seeing Sydney through your eyes. I loved the choppiness of the harbor, made taking photos quite a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, perhaps not as choppy as when you were there.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to say I like that coloured rhinoceros at the zoo.

      Delete
    3. Thinking about the rhino, River, I think it may be covered with plastic bottle tops etc.

      Delete
  9. Sounds as if you had a good day.
    That restaurant food would want to be good at Fort Denison, and i expect it is. The seals are good, have seen a shown on the Gold Coast. Snakes not so fond of them...but looks interesting does the zoo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, it was an ideal day for outdoor dining. I think our zoo only does seal feeding, but that would be quite good too. I quite like seeing snakes. I think it is a form of masochism. I am scared of them.

      Delete
  10. I love the views from that zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spectacular backdrop Mitchell.

      Delete
  11. I hear what Craig is saying but I think the zoos in Australia are a whole different kettle of fish to some of the small European zoos. Ours here in Perth is really very good, lots of space and honestly the Zoo keepers are marvellous with the animals. Aimee and I are Zoo Friends so when we were over in Sydney we got into Toronga for free and didn't have to wait in line.. was good!. Enjoying your trip with you Andrew, will be back for next installment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I haven't seen a European zoo, but I can imagine a little. Animals would have to be kept warm in winter, so much more indoor time. Yes, these reciprocal rights are good value.

      Delete
  12. Phwoar, that is jolly well expensive. I do love me some reptiles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, two Sydney visits ago in its natural environment in Blue Mountains we saw a water monitor. It was great.

      Delete
  13. I think there are possibly a LOT more than one Aussie river called 'Alligator'!!! And the Lord Roberts would get my vote for the Redheads!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, maybe it was from you or maybe someone else, but I have heard this about alligator before. Let me check our junk drawer. No, no Redhead matches there. Just a box of matches with a koala on it and the words, Safety Matches, Sulphur Free, Environmentally Safe, Made in Egypt. Maybe there is a box of Redheads in car glove box. Never know when you need to set something on fire.

      Delete