Saturday, March 21, 2015

Sydney day 3 Friday

I had a list of what I wanted to do in Sydney, but after us going out in the morning for a pint of milk and getting saturated by rain, I modified our plan for the day.

We caught the 311 bus to Observatory Park. Great views of parts of Sydney from the high ground of Observatory Park. We did not go inside the Observatory. I am not very interested in skies. Learning a bit about it being a navigation point and the time ball was interesting.

We had planned to get the bus back to Circular Quay, but it was a bit of a walk back to the bus terminus and the service was infrequent. It is not so far to walk, I told R, as we stared across the multitude of car, bus and train lanes travelling across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I remembered seeing what looked like a tunnel when we walked up the steep hill to the park. Yep, it went under the bridge and we were quickly in a market street at The Rocks. We have done The Rocks to death on previous visits. I knew my way from there to Circular Quay train station. We caught the train to Central and the tram, Sydney people like to call it a light rail, to Dulwich Hill. The tram originally terminated at Lilyfield but the line has been extended to Dulwich Hill. The only reason really is that there was an existing goods train line to the location. Nevertheless, the tram was busy enough along the way and I would call it successful.

There was little to see at Dulwich Hill, but near the tram terminus was quite a good cafe where we lunched. The two guys who seemed to be owner operators of the cafe where Middle Eastern looking and quite hot. We were catching the train back to the city and with some minutes to spare we stood on the street near the station and one of the owners came out and had a cigarette as he crossed the road to his very smart sports car. He zoomed up the street with much exhaust pipe roaring and then parked in another space. A sexy and slightly sleazy bloke. Would not do me at all!

The return trip to town on the train was uneventful. We alighted at Town Hall Station and I wanted to see Martin Place as I had not been there since it was first constructed. I had forgotten about Pitt Street Mall and we crossed from George Street via Strand Arcade. Martin Place was a bit benign and then we saw the tv Channel 7 studio, opposite the Lindt Cafe where the awful murders were committed. We were suddenly sad and I had no inclination to take photos. We walked a little further and caught the 380 bus back to our hotel.

Where to go for dinner? We had a glass of wine in our room. We stepped out to Oxford Street and went to Columbian Hotel where we had a few glasses of wine. My wine glasses were now perched on my nose and every bloke looked hot, in some way. He was older than me, so no great cred, but I detected him looking sideways at me. Huh R, I can still pull. It was time to move on and I gave the old dude our pub raffle tickets. He began to bang on about odds of death and winning a raffle. Cheers man, see you. The Columbian Hotel is great and the staff very nice. A Kiwi drag queen was the hostess for the evening.

More wine was had at the Courthouse Hotel, where we sat outside in the warm evening air and watched the passing parade. I will say by this point we were not quite sober but enjoying ourselves immensely. We are supposed to eat.

We walked a little further along Oxford Street. Fancy a little Greek, my dear? Why not. I got upsold. Would you like a salad with your lamb balls? I replied yes but immediately realised what had happened. No matter, the salad with the Greek balls was perfect for us to share.

It was quite wet when we set out, but did improve as the day went on.


The bridge from an different angle to the normal.


Anzac Bridge in the distance.


The works going on mid picture are for the creation of Barangaroo. I read somewhere that they are doing the nice part of works, a public area, before the true horror of what will be built begins.


An airport control tower? Where is the airport? Ah, shipping control tower. It looks quite old.


Imagine the impact on the local residents of the construction of the Harbour Bridge, well those who weren't in the way and stayed.


Looking across to the North Sydney office towers.


The time ball atop the main building.


There were a couple of these chains. What were they for? See how they have eroded the stone.


A little info on the Signal Station.


Perhaps where the signals were signalled from.


Down in The Rocks.


A gas lamp.


Mostly food stalls.


The Manly Ferry passing by the Opera House before she berths.


Circular Quay Station and Ferry Terminal.


The old Customs House, now a hotel I think. We had coffee at the outdoor coffee on your right.



A more conventional photo of the bridge.


Departing on the train. Did you think I was standing on the train tracks?


Central Station, not to be confused with Centraal Station in Amsterdam or Sentral Station in Kuala Lumpur.

Here comes the tram. There is only one every 15 minutes.


I can't say Dulwich Hill is the most attractive or prosperous looking suburb. Maybe at the bottom of the steep hill there is a more attractive shopping area.


Terrific little cafe.


An ad for Bearded Lady bourbon.


Mortuary Station from the train.


High roads and low roads.


The Strand  Arcade, linking George Street and Pitt Street.


The studios of tv broadcasting station Channel 7.


 Looking down Martin Place with the GPO clock tower in view. It probably isn't a post office now.


I don't normally publish food photos, but the lamb balls and salad were so nice.


26 comments:

  1. The Old Customs House is not a hotel. It now contains the City of Sydney library, several restaurants and some other facilities. It also has a scale glass covered model of the entire CBD (buildings and all) set beneath floor inside the main entrance. You can walk over it and it is well worth a visit - and free to view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, we both thought it was a hotel as people were entering and leaving with suitcases. Pity we did not enter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, all photos are fantastic but the cafe is lovely.The best is the bridge absoloutely awesome..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the bridge is just awesome to see yet very functional too.

      Delete
  4. I believe the Lindt cafe has reopened. Or is just about to. I hope so. Keeping it shut is a win for the insanity of that sad day.
    Love your photos - particularly the bridge from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it reopened yesterday.

      Delete
    2. EC and River, someone told me today that there were huge queues to get into Lindt on its re-opening day. That'll learn them pesky murderous types.

      Delete
  5. Central Station reminds me of the old Union Station here... before it was turned into a shopping mall that is. I really enjoyed the glimpses of the older buildings, and all the different bridge perspectives.

    Lamb balls? I wonder if they're similar to kibbeh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Jacqueline. I will have some bigger shots of it on another day. Kibbeh? I don't know it. It sounds like Jewish food. I've checked now, no, no outer crust or really like a croquette.

      Delete
  6. I didn't recognise much of that. The Bridge and Opera house of course and the Strand Arcade, the Manly Ferry too, I took a photo of that myself when on another smaller ferry.
    Shame about the rain, but weather can't be helped and at least you weren't cold with all that wine you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I vaguely recall that the weather wasn't so great when you visited Sydney? Truly, it was never really cold, just a nice fresh and cooling breeze at times.

      Delete
    2. I remember I had to shop for a jacket and umbrella.

      Delete
  7. Andrew

    The nicer part of Dulwich Hill (which definitely gentrified in the time I lived there from 2002 to 2012) and the main shopping area is back along the ridge rather than down the hill at the terminus of the old tram route coming up to New Canterbury Road - there must be about 8 cafes there. You needed to get off at the second-last light rail stop for that (Dulwich Grove) and after a not particularly steep walk up hill you might have taken the bus which runs on the old tram route through Marrickville and Newtown. See this map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Sydney#/media/File:Western_Trams.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I did have a look at street view and there wasn't much at the bottom of the hill either. Looking at a map...ah, I see what you mean. I don't think I have seen that tram map before, though I have seen many. Yes, I remember where the tram route separated around Crystal Street and it is quite obvious there was a tram line there from the central concrete strips where the tram line was.

      Delete
  8. The signal station from 1825 was terrific. Loved the building, the informative sign and your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, wasn't our signal station on Batman Hill? Flattened long ago.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I envy Sydney's early history. Melbourne's signal station was a pissy little thing. It must have been considered not worth saving.

      Delete
  9. I too am fond of the bridge - does it remind R of Newcastle when he sees it? Crushed that Glasgow Central wasn't mentioned (kidding). Strand arcade looks right up my street and the food looks fabulous. Lovely tour and photos, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you do have good memory. Somewhat better than R's as he has reminded me more than once about the Tyne Bridge, which was built first.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for these great views of Sydney; so different from the usual shots (which seem to only include the Opera House).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, the opera house is impressive but it does not impress me like the bridge does.

      Delete
  11. Lovely tour. You make me smile at times when you write about the men looking hot :) i wonder what these men have to look like for you to say that!
    It's a great bridge, i have only been over it and through the tunnel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, there is just something about certain guys I like, and they are not necessarily good looking in an obvious way. I've not been through the tunnel. Maybe next visit, but a tunnel is a tunnel is a tunnel.

      Delete
  12. J'adore your shots of my fav bridge Andrew.. Apart from seeing my son et famille I wasn't looking forward to Sydney trip but your posts are making me a little more excited about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is a good time of the year to visit.

      Delete
  13. I can see that the 4 hours we recently spent in Sydney wasn't nearly enough!

    ReplyDelete