Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A win after a consumer back lash


I would judge this as a consumer win. If you have forgotten, the story was that Glad's Cling Wrap had the metal cutter on the bottom of the box removed and replaced by a serrated cardboard cutter on the lid. Apparently the metal cutter can be very dangerous, and that was their argument and it was nothing to do with cost cutting. I expect the same mother company produces blister packs, that can slice through your skin at the drop of a hat when you try to open the pack.

I mentioned the matter here when I was very cross at the change and then discovered many other people were also cross with the changes.

Credit due to the company who did respond to so many complaints. Who is the company? It took some drilling down through minor companies and majors, along with takeovers. But I just knew it would end up with a big one, Procter and Gamble.

From Face Book, and the company does not actually say the metal cutter will be restored.

Glad Australia
Following the overwhelming amount of feedback we have received, we are pleased to announce that we are going to change the cutter bar on all our Cling Wrap products back to its original location.
We are also maintaining the stronger box, the 50% better cling, the tighter seal, the easy roll start and easier box opening.
Our intention has always been to give consumers a better quality product, a better experience and better value; however, our loyal consumers have spoken passionately about the new packaging and this is something we won't ignore.
Once more, we would like to thank you for all your comments over the past few weeks. Our team will be working day and night to get the new product to people as soon as possible, so please bear with us and we will confirm timings very soon.
Thank you.

29 comments:

  1. Andrew! The Alan Jones of the Cling Wrap struggle street punters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you made me feel ill.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, what a freindly company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am always a little cynical about a 'friendly' company.

      Delete
  3. I had to go and check as I've not noticed any difference mine is metal but I haven't got any glad wrap for agers, the last time I bought about 4 pks as it was on special so maybe a year since buy.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, by the time you need to buy some I am sure they will be back to metal.....but in case not, keep an empty box or two.

      Delete
  4. I have Glad Press 'n Seal with the cardboard cutter on the top. It doesn't work. It just rips it. Annoying. How long has the dang cutter thing been on the bottom? At least 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, such things can drive people to distraction, me included. You also have something called Saran Wrap?

      Delete
  5. Bravo! Mme O was only complaining about this the other day and I was saying that Australian glad wrap has gone to pot and is getting as bad as Germany's version which is so awful you might as well lay a tea cloth over the bowl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Kirk, Germany is the home of excellence in all things. Not plastic wrap though.

      Delete
  6. I remember seeing a similar announcement printed in the paper a few weeks after your post. Definitely a win for us consumers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it is a win against a huge multi national, River.

      Delete
    2. I think I'm in the same boat as Merle, it's been quite a while, haven't noticed any changes.. So 'glad' I missed the change, sounds like all will be back to normal when I buy it again :)

      Delete
  7. Oh goodie, that's wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your say that Fen, until you cut yourself on the metal blade.

      Delete
  8. the kitchen is a place of danger, with or without the jagged edges of rolls of plastic wrap. I also want to hurt shower screen designers who have sharp gougy corners that get my knuckles when I clean. Ring-pulls are lethal, polystyrene beads are lethal. Life is lethal.sigh. stay safe people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, ring pulls? What century do you live in? Ah, still on tuna, beer and baked beans.

      Delete
  9. I have definitely cut myself on those metal cutters more than once, but then again, I tend to be pretty clumsy, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you can have the child paper cutting scissors then and you will be right.

      Delete
  10. Annd... I avoid those wraps, preferring to store leftovers in glass jars. Better for the planet and my health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Julie, but popping a left over lamb chop in a jar may not be appropriate. Actually we tend to use plastic containers.

      Delete
  11. You did your research and came up trumps...well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, my post may have come to notice by the company, but I expect it was FB protests that brought about the change.

      Delete
  12. It's always a good day when the consumers win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Keith, and at times they do, but mostly not.

      Delete
  13. Seems the stir of the masses had an effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it could be an own goal. The price might go up or the length reduced to compensate.

      Delete
  14. I'm amazed that they seem to have listened to their customer base. My pet hate is the way Weetabix are packed - flimsy plastic tube holding 12 or more Weetabix. I wrote to them but sadly didn't have success like you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I wonder if they are the same as Weetbix here. Very different packaging to as you describe. Not even a free packet in the return post for your trouble?

      Delete