Thursday, February 05, 2015

A Cultural Outing

We had the care of the child for the day and the weather was pretty warm, what to do? We took her to the Museum of Victoria in Carlton.

But a couple of Little Jo anecdotes first.  A sign has been placed in her bedroom on a chair for the new school year, saying "Please wear me to school. Signed, your underpants". We just can't trust her to put them on, even here.

Mother shed a tear or two when she received a letter from her electric company telling her to double the repayment she was making, as she was going backwards. Naturally the tear had to be shed in front of Sister, otherwise it was pointless. Sister made some calls and Mother now has to pay a bit more, but not double.

'Nanny, I don't like to see you sad'.
'I'm ok Little Jo. It is just Nanny misses Poppie L and finds it hard on my own at times.'
'Nanny, you are like Queen Victoria who died of a broken heart when Prince Albert died.'

Yes, not entirely true, but it does seem we have a history buff and Anglophile in our midst, along with being a possible paleontologist.

The night before our outing to the museum R, Bone Doctor and Little Jo went to see a stage performance of Horrible Histories, Barmy Britain and Little Jo volunteered to go on stage in front of hundreds of people in the audience and as the saying goes, she slayed them in the aisles, with several of the audience complimenting her afterwards. I can't brag too much more because the details of what she did were only vaguely reported back to me.

There was a hot rod show at the Exhibition Buildings the next day I think, adjacent to the Museum, the next day. Isn't this so so sleek.


And this one looks so so noisy.


Next to the historic and World Heritage listed Exhibition Buildings is the Museum of Victoria built only a decade or so ago and it will never win an architectural award but internally it functions well enough.



The Museum has a large and vast forecourt, perhaps rephrased as a long walk from the tram.


I recall writing a post in the past, showing you the same interior garden and I that time I found an owl to photograph.


Looking at the pond above through an embrasure in the waterfall.


Blue tongue lizards. They can be made into not terribly affectionate pets. You supply food, they will hang around.


After a bush fire, there may not be any more of a house left than a chimney like this one.


Dinosaurs were everywhere, well skeletons. It wasn't this one but I tried pronounce the name dinosaur name Hypsilophodon. In her best languid and world weary voice, Little Jo gave me the correct pronunciation, Andrew it is Hypsilophodon.


A bit of drawing in an activity room and a chance for R and myself to sit down. It was quite a hot day and although air conditioned, it still felt quite warm inside.


There was some shade as we trekked back to the tram stop in Nicholson Street.


I could not resist taking a few photos of the Exhibition Buildings.



The reward for behaving well was lunch in the Scottish restaurant. Well, there would have been hell to pay if she missed out on Maccas. The building outside the window is quite shabby, but I really hope it is kept.


Male architects always love adding some phallic symbolism to buildings. I wonder what was going on in his mind as he drew the preliminary sketches.



Some shopping in QV for ingredients for pizza Little Jo and R were making that night, and home to cool. Well, cool for me and pool for them.

24 comments:

  1. Andrew, it is an interesting trip to the museum My favourite are dinosaurs of course.. I would like to have the noisy car and me in the Silesian Conurbation.. It would be fun..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the police might arrest you. Imagine driving the black car around your streets.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, the black one masterpiece...

      Delete
  2. Paleontologist and stand up comedienne, good career choices. Little Jo could do both, dig up remains then tell jokes about them.
    Love the reminder to wear underpants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, Sister put a photo on FB of the underpants hanging next to the sign.

      Delete
  3. Great day out looks like the weather is behaving too.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was a bit too warm for me. That was a couple of weeks ago.

      Delete
  4. You remind me of a memory. My Granny used to take me to the museum all the time in Adelaide and I loved it there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, kids do seem to like museums, but Little Jo will not focus much on exhibits. I think we have been to the Adelaide museum, but a long time ago.

      Delete
  5. Little Jo sounds like a force to be reckoned with, even at her tender years.
    I am amazed at how often the chimney survives a fire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, her ability to absorb amazes me. Her public charm skills are brilliant. Her personal charm skills are wanting at times. I bet chimneys don't survive now, constructed with quick drying cement, but I guess not too many are built.

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrew,

    Well, Little Jo sounds a force to be reckoned with, even at her tender age!

    We should have loved the vintage cars....less so the Dinosaurs.... And we are certain that Little Jo would have loved it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, it is so interesting to fairly closely observe a child growing up, from a distance.

      Yes, I am not a dinosaur person either. Certain cars are just so beautifully designed.

      Delete
  7. Just catching up Andrew, glad to hear that R and yourself are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, he's back and publicising his new blog. I can't tell you how sad I was when you disappeared and so pleased to see you back in the world of the blog.

      Delete
  8. What a fab day with her super fun uncles.. Little Jo is such a character Andrew, love hearing about her adventures with you guys.. By the sound of it she could teach you a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, indeed she does teach us things at times, but she doesn't mind asking questions if she doesn't know. I am the spelling and IT consultant.

      Delete
  9. You made me laugh regarding Little Jo - bless her.
    Car look good, I like how they are all done up with their Sunday best on.
    Not into Dinosaurs but our 3 year old grandchild is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, what is about kids and dinosaurs? I was never interested as a kid, and nor was anyone else.

      Delete
  10. I don't like jokes, but I love children quotes, they are so funny sometimes ! and she was right to compare her grandma with Queen Victoria, lol ! Clever girl. The exhibition buildings look very beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it is a wonderful building with nice gardens too.

      Delete
  11. Is your shutter cover not retracting fully?
    I miss the lizards in the garden, we had quite a few blue tongues growing up. Not to mention the hundreds of skinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have only just noticed about the shutter Fen? It began happening some time ago, worse on cold days. The camera is nearly up to 10,000 photos and I have never been fond of it, especially the touch screen. But after spending money on the tablet, I am not sure I can spend on a new camera as well. I expect I may before before our mid year o/s hol.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I'm slow okay!!!

      Delete