Friday, January 02, 2015

Traffic

This was sent to me by River and what a crazy intersection it is. It seems the larger the size of vehicle means more of a right of way.



Is it worse than this one I have showed you previously? There do seem to be some rules in force in HCM, aka Saigon, even if not all obey them. They imported their driving style from French colonial times.



I can't imagine I will ever drive in either Addis Abeba or Ho Chi Minh City. I won't even add driving around the Arc de Triomphe to any sort of bucket list. I have officially declared myself too old to drive on the wrong side of the road. Now what are the rules for Arc de Triomphe? It appears that cars within the roundabout must give was to cars entering. Or is like it was here years ago, give way to the right? The coach driver seems somewhat hesitant.



Later edit: Insurance companies judge an accident on this Paris roundabout as being equal fault and split the costs.

15 comments:

  1. Andrew, OMG it is impossible to drive. It is a typical jungle but luckily it is not Europe so I can drive safer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, would you drive in Paris?

      Delete
  2. I was amazed at the pedestrians in the first clip. Taking their life in their hands...
    I understand from my partner that Cairo is similarly scary, and I remember (twenty years ago now) being appalled at the traffic in Delhi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it seems to be the only way to cross. I am sure there are plenty of 'bumps'. I reckon Delhi would be quite crazy and much worse now.

      Delete
  3. I'm still laughing at that mess. Accidents waiting to happen in my view. Dr. cousins had scooters and rode to work when they lived in Vietnam, many stores they have told about their experience riding to and from the lights etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, when were in Vietnam we thought it all worked very well and there was a system under the apparent chaos. While there is, we were quickly disillusioned by seeing a couple of accidents.

      Delete
  4. Stories...oh dear predictive text!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addis Abeba is fun to watch, everyone scurrying about, Ho Chi Minh too with all those scooters. But that last one...well, clearly that driver isn't Australian, he would have just barreled on through. I saw a couple of moments where he could have zipped in and got through, instead of holding up traffic like he did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I so agree about the bus. Not sure about your bus drivers but a Sydney bus driver would have made mince meat of the cars.

      Delete
  6. You drive on the wrong side, lol ! But indeed driving in Paris is a nightmare, Brussels is not better ! You need a ring of eyes around your head to see them coming from all sides and they horn like crazy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gatina, I think in Paris they use their horns a lot too. There wasn't much horn use in Austria and Germany.

      Delete
  7. No Australian bus driver would be so meek and hesitant as that bus driver in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, he or she is probably English.

      Delete
  8. There are no rules for the Arc de T, seriously it's enter and leave when you can without actually crashing into anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I understand it is often controlled by gendarme at the entrances. But should I go for the stereotypical view of the French, that probably makes it worse.

      Delete