Monday, January 26, 2015

The 26th

Happy Australia Day and Happy India Independence Day. I forgot to write something appropriate for Australia Day, so here is a belated attempt.

Victor wrote a very reasonable post about PM Abbott knighting HRH Prince Phillip. I shan't be reasonable about it. The Abbott is a tosser.

Is it just me or does this Australia Day seem less jingoistic than the last few? The only sign on the streets seen by me that it is Australia Day was two cars with Australian flags attached to them.

At an Australia Day barbeque today, one person put forth that Australians are now too scared of Moslems to overtly celebrate the day. Not so sure about that but possible. I liked the more restrained Australia Day.

Also at the barbeque was an acquaintance born in India. Not our Fijian/Indian friend, I hasten to add. He objected to being called mate by all and sundry. R gave him a serve about him being un-Australian and he ameliorated it to being called mate by Indian Australians.

Hope your day was good and lift your glass to Australia, a country stolen from its owners by colonialists but it is my country now. 

22 comments:

  1. Mine too Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Cathy, and you chose it.

      Delete
  2. i saw a teenager at the local big shops, wearing a flag as a cape. If I'd had a sniper weapon I'd have taken him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, people should be able to wear a cape if they want, but it is the loaded message behind the cape that is the issue. Our flag has been hijacked.

      Delete
  3. Happy Australia Day, Andrew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a Happy Australia Day. I remember we never celebrated Australia Day, it was just a holiday but now, as you know it's so very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, that has slipped my mind, but you are correct. At best a barbeque in the bush, if there were no fire bans.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, Happy Australia Day.History has changed so now it is you country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we aren't the only people to occupy someone else's lands.

      Delete
  6. And mine. Indeed I am the first of my family to be born here.
    And I agree on your assessment of our esteemed leader. You were very, very restrained though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, isn't it the first locally born children of immigrants who at times go down a bad path? I won't tell if you don't.

      Delete
  7. Rain affected the day in Sydney but I still saw plenty of flag bearing individuals out and about.

    With all our faults, I still love Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last sentence is perfect Victor.

      Delete
  8. I'm happy to call it mine too, happy Aus day.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
  9. Upside down flag for being downunder? Happy Invasion day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, and the natives did try to spoil the parade, well tacked on to the end of it.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad the day has become more quiet less jingoistic or perhaps it was just the weather not being more Australian.
    As for the Mad Monk, he could have done worse and given the corgis a gong in the Honours list. I think his mind slips a cog every now and then so it's up to us to remind him that he's only a very small ferret on a very large ferret farm. Well, what else would you call this Parliament?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, it may well have been the weather. You are correct, ferret farm is the right term.

      Delete
  11. Belated happy Australia Day Andrew.. Blimey it was as a hot one here in the West, still is for the next few days. Was really glad I went into the city for the fireworks, such a fab West Australian vibe, we do feel a bit isolated over here.. personally I have no problem with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the fireworks were quite a display. While we often get hot weather after you, it doesn't seem to be happening at the moment. Isn't living in West Australia rather like having your political enemies in power? You all in WA have a common enemy, the eastern states, and of course all of our common enemy, Canberra.

      Delete