Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday Selections - A domestic edition

Yes, all very home focused this week. See what River has posted, along with others.

R has decided smaller portions are better for us and the way to go about it is to serve the food on the centre of the table and then help ourselves and I think he is correct, we are eating a bit less.These tongs cost about $14 in Maling Road, Canterbury. The $2 supermarket ones are better.


The Spanish wine mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Waddya reckon Mitch? A good drop?


How the other half live on New Year's Day, Domain Road South Yarra.


Isn't half the fun of a barbeque doing it yourself? In my case that is watching R do it. This one was professionally catered in parkland along Domain Road. A little girl kicked a ball with her daddy. Little Jo does not care to kick a ball and is such a disappointment to her mothers.


Our relatively new carpet was stained and in spite of some thirty years of removing stains from carpets, especially when we had pets, these ones beat my efforts. Woolmix, Borax poultice, Shellite, nothing worked. I don't know what they are or when they happened and neither does R. Visitors, I reckon. This one at the dining table.


And this one, so obvious at the balcony door with daylight shining directly on it.


I was getting quite distressed by the stains, so I thought I would try a commercial product. Spray it on and wait a few minutes for it to dry to a white powder then vacuum. It is brilliant. Not a trace of any stain remains and a couple of weeks later, nothing has reappeared. 


An amusing and tasty gift from Our Friend in Japan, translated as cat's tongues. The chocolate is unlike any chocolate I have tasted before. It is not sweet and creamy milk chocolate, but nor is it bitter dark chocolate.  Let's just say it is mild.


An older woman graffiting a building hoarding. Her behaviour was very odd. I forgot to check what she had written. There was already plenty of graffiti on the hoarding. I am just wondering if there was something written relating related to the murder that took place there last year, and she was covering it up.
 

We were in town and made it home before the rain started. Five minutes walk from The Highrise, this was the scene at the Domain (tram) Interchange. Thanks for the photo Fen and the Channel 7 screen grab.


As you can see, it absolutely p.............recipitated down.


By evening, all was quite benign, with the Spirit of Tasmania setting sail as scheduled. I hope my cropping of the ugly building rooftop meets with Hels approval.


33 comments:

  1. I have used that carpet cleaner - with a lot of success.
    Loved your domestic Sunday - thank you. Catered barbeque? A contradiction in terms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, pleased the cleaner worked for you. It is good product that does what it says it does. And what do the men do without a sausage to stab at while the meat is cooking?

      Delete
  2. Andrew, nice post. Can you believe chocolate Cat's tongues are very popular at my place .. Your cleaning carpet is a success, Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it such a funny name for chocolate. I wonder what the origins are.

      Delete
    2. Andre, I think the shape of chocolate reminds cat's tongue..

      Delete
  3. YES to smaller portions. A friend has had an ongoing issue with weight most of their life, and to me one of the biggest issues is the overly large portions. Makes sense? More calories: the more you need to burn off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, energy in, energy out? Can it be that simple?

      Delete
  4. I tried one of those spray on carpet cleaner's once but I must have used it improperly...it left light-coloured spray marks all over the carpet (or maybe my carpet was so dirty that the lighter bits were actually bits of clean carpet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lighter bits would have been clean carpet. to fix it, clean the whole carpet. This often happens with darker coloured older carpets. The dirt builds up so gradually we don't notice it until we have to clean a stain.

      Delete
    2. Ad Rad, that happened with our old carpet. It really needed a proper all over clean. My sister gets hers cleaned maybe once a year and only moves light stuff out of the way. The cleaners just work around the heavy stuff.

      River, if you check somewhere that hasn't been exposed, in our case in the wardrobes, you can see what the carpet used to look like.

      Delete
  5. Must try that stain remover myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very obvious question arises, Victor, but I am not going to.

      Delete
  6. Have also taken note of the brand name - any ideas where you purchsed it?
    Small portions or even smaller plates - trouble is the plate thing is difficult when you are eating out and it is so rude to leave food on your plate. Or so my mother told me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coles, I think Cathy. I'd never noticed it, but went hunting for a carpet cleaning product. Yes, but forget the manners in a commercial eating place and leave what you don't want. I can't believe R left a big rasher of bacon on his plate yesterday when we had brunch.

      Delete
  7. Oh I am so in awe of a daily blog, I thoroughly approve. A twice-weekly blog exhausts me!

    The New Year's Day lunch in Domain Road South Yarra looks terrific. The idea of sitting outside in the sunshine, with friends food and wine, appeals enormously. I quite enjoy cooking, but it does get a bit tedious on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I know a lot of work goes into your twice weekly posts, not so much my daily ones.

      Yes, it was nice there, but no free tables for us to sit, so we sat on the seats at the electric substation with our take away coffee and listened to the hum of transformers.

      The lot of the daily family cook is onerous and I for one appreciate very much what is cooked for me.

      Delete
  8. Another way to eat less is to cook less, you can't eat what isn't there.
    I don't have any carpet here, so don't have to worry about stains, although my floor could probably use a good washing.
    Glad you got some of the rain, hoping EC got some too. There's more heat coming though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But River, I depend on left overs for lunch the next day, and we often freeze half of what is cooked, say a pasta sauce shepherd's pie, curry or tuna casserole.

      Not as much rain as we hoped for but a very useful amount a few days apart.

      Delete
    2. I'm totally with you on leftovers for lunch - I always make a double batch of things like chicken and bacon pasta. I package them all up at the same time, lunches go into reusable plastic containers and the meal we're eating tonight goes into dinner bowls, which helps with the portion control thingy. :)

      I'm going to try making fishermans pie this week which will be a fascinating experiment. :)

      Delete
    3. You are so organised, Snoskred. While I love tuna morney, I feel very afraid about fishermans pie.

      Delete
    4. I do leftovers too, but sometimes I eat too much and there isn't enough for the next day. (*~*)
      Mostly, I cook in bulk and freeze meal-sized portions.

      Delete
  9. Thankfully I have no carpet, but a few rugs that sometimes need spot cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it does the trick very simply Fen.

      Delete
  10. I think the eating less is definitely the way to go, that way you don't really have to give up things you enjoy, just eat less of them.. stands to reason you will lose weight oui! Phew, thank goodness you found something to get rid of those stains, would have driven you crazy.. would have me for sure :) your cropped shot is lovely Andrew, were the rooftops you cut out ugly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, expectedly from you, that is what French women apparently do. Yes, the roof tops are quite ugly.

      Delete
  11. "Old Field" wine. I see if it's available around here. I love Ribera myself. But I'm clueless about wines in general. Chocolate cats' tongues. I'll have to look for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Mitchell. Thanks. The chocolates are German, by the look of the box.

      Delete
  12. I can believe that of tongs, dearer isn't always better.
    Good you go the spots off the carpet, nothing looks worse so to speak, visitors may not notice but you do....
    Great idea to put the meal in the middle of the table, was done years ago and I am also guilty of doing this often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, I can't say it is ideal for me. R always serves food so nicely on a plate. I just plonk things on my plate.

      Delete
  13. Cat's chocolate? Hope they are OK for humans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't fancy eating cat's tongues Fun60?

      Delete
  14. Yes, the help-yourself plate is the way to eating less, and makes storing leftovers possible too. Try eucalyptus oil on the stain. Capitol Hatters told me that when I got grease on my white Akubra Stetson and it disappeared. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em Stacks, wouldn't it be too oily?

      Delete