Wednesday, December 03, 2014

The NZ Resurrection

Who could forget the devastating Christchurch in New Zealand earthquake back in 2011 when 185 people were killed, many people losing their houses and livelihoods, historic buildings damaged beyond repair and the total shock to the people of Christchurch. No, Christchurch has not recovered yet, but it is making significant progress.

Its historic tram line has been restored and improved and the vehicles given overhauls and finally fully reopened this month.

This letter to the editor of The Press gives an idea of people's feelings:

"Lovely Moment
I had "a moment" today - a lovely one actually. I looked out of my office window near Victoria Square and to my delight I saw the tram trundling past. I had to terminate my phone conversation and go outside and watch it roll towards New Regent St. On occasion, I weigh up what I feel our community has lost and what it has gained because of the earthquakes. In sombre moments , I wonder whether, in my lifetime, I will ever see us regaining even a fraction of what we have lost. It takes a lovely moment like seeing our trams returning to old territory to restore the faith that, while we have lost so much, we haven't lost everything. I gave the tram driver the most enthusiastic thumbs-up I could muster and he gave me the biggest smile.
Christchurch I still love you . KYLIE EHRICH, Middleton."


Photo from christchurchnz.com


14 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled to read this. Last year, on Christmas Day, we travelled on one of two running Christchurch trams on its truncated line (i.e. think just 3 or 4 stops at the most). I can understand that a restoration of the full system would give Christchurch citizens a real lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it would also lift tourism too, I should think, providing a sense of normality to visitors.

      Delete
  2. Wow it is a nice tram like ion my place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is strange because the tram goes through a building. I will see it one day.

      Delete
  3. How lovely. Thank you. I really, really like that the trams are back - and like even more the fact that they are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, both sad and spirit lifting, I thought.

      Delete
  4. That is good news regarding Christchurch. The tram must have moved the person so much, it would be good to see it coming after such deverstation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep WA. I think there is a lot of symbolism in the tram being back to normal, well better than it was.

      Delete
  5. Recovery is always a slow process, but a working tram is a good sign.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think it says to the people who did stay, thank you and this is the way we are going. We are re-building.

      Delete
  6. After seeing that shot, I realise that RED is the only real colour for trams! So glad it's a sign of better things to come for our neighbours across the ditch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes red is a good colour for trams, a deep red. Melbourne trams were originally cream and brown but best known as being cream and green.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful moment after such an enormous tragedy Andrew.. gosh the new train is very attractive, I bet you fell a little bit in love when you saw this shot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, a very sweet letter. I certainly love the tram running through a building.

      Delete