Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Libs love to Slash and Burn

Managing Director of the ABC has decreed;
The Health Report
The Law Report
The Media Report
The Science Show
are probably safe from the cuts at ABC Radio National, RN.

Not so
Rear Vision (brilliant, and should be broadcast to the world. Oh, it is already)
By Design
360
Bush Telegraph (a terrible loss to country people and people who interested in rural matters)
Hindsight

I expect they are all gone.

On the Media Report boss bloke of RN, Deb Leavitt, tried to play a role as as spin doctor about the cuts and she failed miserably. I hope she is a better boss than she is a spinner.

The loss of these programmes are due to funding cuts to our ABC by The Abbott. As usual I was a bit behind on podcasts but on my way home from work, stuck in traffic, I listened to Communication Minister's wife Lucy on the podcast By Design. Once home, I heard on our ABC Communication Minister Turnbull try to explain why PM Abbott's promise to not cut funding to the ABC had been fulfilled. The duplicitousness of Turnbull explaining away cuts to our ABC when his own wife appeared on one of the shows to be cut, galled me.

Ultimately it is up to the boss of our ABC to decide how the ABC budget is spent. The decision to cut certain programmes seems quite political to me, and good on him, in some ways.

Another of Mark Scott's decisions was to end the local state editions of 7.30 on Friday nights. I have seen it now, but the last edition of 7.30 Victoria was seen as it was broadcast by R. Did he blame Mark Scott over ABC budget allocations? No, he said that ****ing Abbott needs shooting. I hope everyone thinks like that, justified or not.

I will remain sanguine about the cuts to ABC RN and watch and see, no, listen to the new style of content, promised by Ms Leavitt.

The loss of ABC TV local editions of 7.30 is a tragedy and I will write about that separately.   

14 comments:

  1. Andrew, TV channels are different and some not very good quality. But local Tv is importand definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is important to cover local stories.

      Delete
  2. Not only cuts but I notice repeats are on the rise. Last Sunday RN broadcast a documentary about the visit to Australia of Anna May Wong (American Chinese actress of the 1930/40s) which I'm sure I heard earlier in the year. I know we get lots of repeats over the Summer holiday season but that season hasn't started yet or has it been brought forward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it came in on my reader and yes, while it was a good listen the first time, I did not bother again. The break seems to start earlier now. We are listening to your Richard's conversation hour now. But I think they start back earlier.

      Delete
  3. I am a faithful listener to The Health Report, The Law Report, The Media Report and (to a lesser extent) The Science Show every week. But just because a minister says there will be no cuts to these programmes... doesn't mean it is so. The conservatives can lower the standards of the ABC from within by, for example, closing the ABC library.

    Before the recent state election, I did not lose my teaching position at a TAFE. But there are many ways to skin a cat. They cut four of the six technical staff at my TAFE and eventually lectures had to be reduced :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there is extreme pressure on the Libs from Murdoch over the ABC aggressively entering digital areas. I am with Scott with his vision for the future, no matter how I like what I now have. The Libs can't close the ABC library. They can't dictate what the ABC does except through those they appoint to the board.

      Our Hairdresser Friend is a teacher at Kangan and she is not sure if her position is safe.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I think I need to go on holiday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I am unamused. I need one before you need another.

      Delete
  5. We only had Friday for the Tasmanian 7.30, that of course it gone.
    I think more repeats on the ABC will be imminent.
    I am not particularly happy about the cuts, but they have happened and I don't know if we can do a thing about it, though one person can change things..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, the repeats are already evident. I watched you last 7.30 and I will write about it soon. She was the only presenter who really cracked up. It was a nice moment.

      Delete
  6. Given the ABC is supposed to be unbiased, can anyone suggest an ABC news or current affairs program that actually leans, even only if a little bit, to the right? A 5% cut to funding is nothing - a small shave off a few executive salaries - but how much more newsworthy (ha, ha - more like scaremongering) is it to say such a cut will result in the loss of popular and politically neutral (i.e. children's and rural) programs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, 5% is little and as most organisations like the ABC, there is a lot of management that could easily be cut. My workplace is a prime example. Our ABC is an ultra conservative institution, seldom challenging anyone or anything. Most, no probably all, of its presenters are comfortable middle class people who do not rock the boat. While they may not lean to the right, they certainly don't lean to the left. You are of similar age to myself I think. There was a time when the ABC did challenge, although I can never recall it being anything else but conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I draw the line at watching a program purporting to be an expose of schoolies week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, R and I discussed the programme and while we thought there would be a lot of hot looking blokes on the screen, this was outweighed by squealing girls and we won't be watching. But our ABC must appeal to all and not everything they do, I like.

      Delete