Saturday, December 20, 2014

Cilla in a Humber

It was not exactly gripping television but I have enjoyed watching the the tv show about Cilla Black on our ABC. R drew my attention to a Humber on the screen. Right, I looked. It was a Series III Super Snipe. I owned a Series IV. The Series IV looked a little more stylish but the body was the same as the Series III.

A major difference in the interior was the Series III had dials to control the heating and ventilation, big and probably Bakelite dials, whereas the Series IV had chromed slider controls.

The controls were the usual heat or fresh air and demist or floor level.If the air flow was inadequate, you could turn on the blower, in modern parlance, the fan. Just one speed mind. The blower was either on or off.

On cold mornings when going to work I would at times turn on the blower to give a bit of extra heat. All was good, until I stopped at traffic lights and the blower would fill the car with engine fumes. But worse was if the weather was damp. As soon as the car stopped when the blower was on, the whole car would fog up. It did not have air conditioning to clear the screens immediately so fogged up was a nuisance. I learned to always turn the blower off while stationary.

A Humber also featured in the ABC TV documentary called The Nationals (Party), once known as the Country Party. I did not see the outside of the car but I immediately recognised the rear seat reading lamps of the car containing I think former Country Party leader the late Jack McCewen.

At times I miss my Humber. What I don't miss is that my current car sits on 6.7 litres of fuel per 100 km, 42 miles per gallon, and the Humber used to sit on 18.0 litres per 100 km, 16 miles per gallon,  but this figure dropped off considerably when it was cruising at highway speed.

This is pretty much like what my Humber looked like, without the mudguard mirrors. There was an exterior mirror next to the driver's window. Note the plug in the bumper bar that could be pulled out and the crank handle inserted. Yes, more than once I crank started it.


 This is the dashboard of the Series III, with quite nice Bakelite controls.


 Mine, the Series IV was more like this, with rocker switches.

15 comments:

  1. Andrew, what a nice vintage car. I believe it is very expensive now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, if in first class condition, maybe a few thousand dollars. Mostly though, built in the sixties, they are too young to have much appeal.

      Delete
  2. Were you watching the series about Cilla with Sheridan Smith in the lead role? I thought she was excellent - probably a better singer than Cilla! Hadn't noticed the number plate on that photo and I don't know how to block it out so will delete the photo. Thanks for pointing it out. Hope you both have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fun60, that was the show. It was meant to be a joke about it being your car. Maybe it is your car then?

      Delete
  3. Oh. a car.
    Ho-hum
    (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a car River? It is is almost a lifestyle.

      Delete
    2. A motorbike is a lifestyle. A Harley.

      Delete
  4. I do prefer the look of cars from the 60s and earlier, but modern conveniences are hard to go past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially air conditioning, EC. I remember little about my childhood that was bad, but I haven't forgotten stinking hot cars.

      Delete
  5. I know sod all about cars, modern or antiques. But I DO know Art Deco design when I see it. Re the 1936 Humber Series III Super Snipe above, it is possible to date the design accurately, just from looking at the photo.

    To melt your heart, have a look at http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/from-deco-cars-to-deco-furniture.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I can't remember your car post and I did not comment. Maybe I was away. The lines of the car are beautiful and how tastefully restrained is the dash of the Bentley.

      Delete
  6. I am very happy with my Toyota Yaris Hybride car, it only consumes 4.4 l/100 km ! and contains everything I need. When I drive 50 km/h it is on electric mode when I driver faster it switches automatically to petrol, the battery charges itself when I break. Nice invention ! I agree, old cars were more "romantic" but I also appreciate the comfort of the new once !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, 4.4 is a good figure, but I think for non electric, 6.7 is excellent.

      Delete
  7. I missed that program regarding Cilla. Saw it was going to be on burt forgot about it. Can't say i liked her voice much though. Nice car back when in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, she was never on my radar, except for You're My World. Interesting character though.

      Delete