Saturday, October 04, 2014

Genes worth bottling

Yellow gerberas bought at el cheapo Asian run green grocer where you can buy an apple with spots all over it, which is fine, but you need to be selective as it could be rotten as well. Their flowers are not cheap though, but so convenient to buy without going to Prahran Market. These flowers are doing very well, R and I commented to each other after a week. After amazingly lasting two weeks, I took this snap. Perhaps one or two flowers had collapsed. Not bad after two weeks.


R kept changing the water, and the vase evidently, and removing the flowers whose stems had collapsed and it is unbelievable that three weeks later, three flower were still going strong. I've never known cut flowers last like that. I think the flowers may be expensive because they are very very fresh.


15 comments:

  1. Andrew, I love these flowers. Yellow is my favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is such a happy colour.

      Delete
  2. When I saw your headline in my sidebar I thought you were going to write about people such as Albert Einstein, Madame Curie, and my favourite high school science teacher. He was smart and good looking, genes definitely worth bottling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, have you googled him to see what he is now up to and how he looks?

      Delete
    2. No, I'd rather remember him as I knew him. I don't remember his first name anyway.

      Delete
  3. Wow. That is an exceptional time for gerberas to last. I often trim the stalks as well as changing the water - which helps. Two weeks is longer than I have got them to last though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, trim stalks? Not sure if they were. I will ask. We've had them start collapsing in two days in the past.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! Love flowers!

    Because Friday night is the most formal dinner of the entire week aound here, I go to the florist once a week for long cut flowers. The colour has to match the linen table cloth and the dinner ware.

    Some flowers have wilty stems that flop long before the petals fall off. With that type of flower, the florist will happily run a fine wire around each individual stem so that you get yor money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely Shabbat dinner Hels. I think gerberas are one of the flowers that florists will wire up.

      Delete
  5. That's very good I only get a week mostly from fresh flowers.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, at times we don't even get a week, especially in winter with the heating on.

      Delete
  6. I also like to have fresh flowers around the house, trouble is I don't do that often enough. Yours certainly lasted well....mine go off quickly at times due to ducted heating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, yes, heating is a killer of fresh flowers. We had flowers sporadically over the years, but the last few years we always have them, not always looking their freshest as the week goes on.

      Delete
  7. Gerbras last really well if you look after them.. don't they add such a nice splash of colour to a room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do Grace, and can look quite classy.

      Delete