Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Selections

Sunday Selections brought to you  by River with some others joining in.

I had an appointment at the corner of William and Bourke Streets. I was early, so I took a couple of photos.

Deloittes is the main building and to its left I think is Marland House.


National Bank of Australia, NAB, dwarfing a fine old building.


An attractive drain cover. We don't have too many of those.


You put this weirdness into the soap dispenser of your dishwasher and it melts and the dishes come about sparkling clean. R won't tell me the price of them though. The dishes used to come sparkling anyway.


Iris.


This survived our absence overseas, as it has in the past. I watered it once we were home and it was fine. Then I kind of forgot to water it again and it began to drop leaves in protest. It nearly died but is now recovering.


We aren't great fans of cacti, but it was a gift. It is looking pretty ordinary and we were going to throw it out when one decided to flower. It can stay a little longer.


The lass in the adjacent apartment likes to light candles in her window. We are the only people who really see them.


I did not know we had Australia India magazines. We had breakfast at the rather good Whytes Cafe in Glen Huntly next door to an Indian grocery shop.


I used to like San Miguel beer from the Philippines. I then favoured Stella Artois from Belgium. I don't have beer very often but my favourite is now Asahi, from Japan.


Interesting lamp, near a crêpe place where we at times have brunch, but never the crêpes.


Messy, but people love the grunge and snap away at the 'art'.


Bacon on avocado sprinkled with salt and lime juice on sourdough toast. Rather tasty.


Yes, the crêpe place that uses souvenir teaspoons, in the case one from the Glow Worm Caves in New Zealand and the other from Perth, capital city of the Australian state of West Australia. 


It appears to be silver foil encased leg hanging down from on top of the air con unit. Does it belong to a dead person?


No, just a bit of fun. Well, I think so. I didn't get up there to check.


18 comments:

  1. Andrew, drain cover is nice. We have a lot of them here. I love your flowers. Maybe I should join to Sunday Selections, Why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join Gosia. Most of utility are quite plain but we have the odd decorative one. Japan is the best place for them.

      Delete
  2. Great Melbourne Mix this week. Favourite? Well probably the silver leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, interesting. R became exasperated with my photo taking when I took that photo.

      Delete
  3. Love the Melbourne medley. And the silver leg reminded me of a sight which will live in my memory for ever. Easter Bike races - and a group of young men passing an artificial leg filled with beer around. And yes, it belonged to one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha EC. Funny. Young men can be very amusing with their antics.

      Delete
  4. Lot's of variety today bits of everything.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, like my brain, bits of everything and nothing put together.

      Delete
  5. The irises are tall, proud and regal. No wonder van Gogh was besotted with them.

    When you go away, you need a house sitter, a car rev-upper and a flower waterer to come in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Hels. It will be a while before we have a long holiday again. We are nearly in penury after the last holiday, a new tv and a new car.

      Delete
  6. *Iwis*? How ordinawy. (not a fan)
    Love the colorful graffiti on that wall near the crepes place. Why have you never had the crepes? Don't like crepes?
    If you decide to throw away that pot of cactus, throw it my way.
    I like the foil wrapped man on top of the aircon unit. Possibly he was installing ducting and got a little wrapped up in his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiver, I wuv iwis.

      While you can have breakfast crepes, I always think of the them for afternoon tea or desert.

      Wrapped up in his work.....not bad.

      Delete
  7. The Iris's are lovely. The Cacti...I'm not a fan either. Candles in the window of your neighbour, interesting as people light candles for many reasons as you know doubt know. I like the drain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite true about the candles WA. I didn't think of that. Your native Tassie cacti will be sad to hear you don't like them.

      Delete
  8. What a great collection of photos! I love cacti. I'm long overdue for lunch and that bacon/avocado/sourdough is mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I'll post the cacti to you then and you can revive them. There must be a paella shop near you for lunch.

      Delete
  9. Can you tell that crepe place I want my spoon back please Andrew :) Very nice selection of shots this Sunday.. weird with the leg thing.. your neighbour must go through a lot of candles, he's lit up like a Christmas tree there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. The candle lighter is a dwarf she.

      Delete