Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The King and I

I vaguely recall the Yul Brynner movie The King and I from years ago. I am not sure if I have seen it all. I certainly saw some of it. There is a musical production of the movie at the Princess'(sic) Theatre and I I will suggest it the most enjoyable musical I have ever seen. The sets, the costumes, the acting, the script, the cute kiddies, it all just worked so brilliantly and of course it is a great story. The only thing to mar the evening was the awful cramped seats. Thank you to David Marriner for saving and renovating the Princess' Theatre in the 1980s, but it is now in need of a another reno and new seats.

We caught trams to get there, but a taxi home. $14 dollars divided by 4 is nothing, and almost cheaper than the day ticket that would have ensued had we trammed it home. And we saved about half an hour.

We had limited time, so pre theatre we just ate some quite ok Chinese food in the Target arcade food court.

Speaking of food, two weeks ago we dined with our dyke friend and her ex at Moor's Head in Elsternwick. It was quite nice but the $40 bottle of Lebanese wine was not so good. It is a trendy place and quite busy. I liked it.

This Saturday night past, we ate at The Potsticker, an Asian restaurant in Hawthorn Road Caulfield. I remember the place as Millers Bar & Grill. It was huge back then, occupying what is around four shops now. The Potsticker was terrific, great service and nice food.

Walking up Little Bourke Street, or was it looking down. I can't recall.


This is such an ugly Bourke Street building, but somewhat improved with some rather gaudy night time lighting.



The ceiling of the Princess' Theatre.


The curtain of The King and I.


Two monks to the left and two to right burning incense created atmosphere before the curtain went up.


At interval I noticed a pair of poles to introduce people to China Town, in Little Bourke Street. Behind is ICI House, now Orica. It was built in 1958 and was the tallest building in Australia. It was known as the Tear Drop Building as it cried tears of glass as the windows fell out.


I refuse to buy theatre programmes full of advertising now, but R will fork out $20 for them. They are looked at then filed away, never to be seen again.


22 comments:

  1. Andrew, the ceiling in the theatre is interesting.And I have never bought a theatre programme is a waste of money. I can see it online. The next liiter at home. The building with night light it seems nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, theatre programmes used to be cheap. Then they became full of advertising and overpriced. The building lit is not nice nice but improved with lighting.

      Delete
  2. I've seen the full King and I movie, it's quite impressive, but long too, better seen on DVD so you can pause for toilet breaks. I'd like to see the theatre performance, were admission tickets expensive? I hope it comes to Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, $120. Maybe a matinee for seniors is cheaper. I hate that so many are priced out of seeing such shows.

      Delete
  3. I love The King and I film so would really enjoy that production. Little Bourke St - that's where I stayed when I was in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun 60, I don't know of any accom in Lt Bourke St. Where was that?

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about the programs.

    Am pleased you enjoyed the production. I have tickets to see it in Sydney in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you are a sophisticated theatre goer, but I think even so, you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I seen it advertised and saw the old film with Yul Brynner many years ago, it is a good story and yes programmes are a waste of time and I never buy them, just too expensive for what you get.
    merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I am really not a musical show liker, but I loved it. I seem to recall that once programmes were free as part of your ticket price.

      Delete
  6. I have only heard good things about this production.
    Theatre programs/exhibition programs I won't buy. My partner does though. And they gather dust forever more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it seems the world and couples are divided over theatre programmes.

      Delete
  7. I'm a live musical lover but have had to forgo all those pleasures this year - only so much cash to go around at the moment! So glad you enjoyed it Andrew.
    Like most in the know theatre programmes for me are a thing of the past. I recall donating about 20 to an op shop a few years ago - never again. As Gosia said, it's all online if you want to know.
    I often wonder if those poor chaps standing there with arms full of them on the boxes outside the venues get paid or are they devoted volunteers??
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, yes, it is all online. Why would you buy? Yet people still do. I like hard copies of things, but it rather depends on the cost. The sellers would be paid staff.

      Delete
  8. I love to go to the theatre ! Yours looks very beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it is nice enough, but not so comfortable for your bum.

      Delete
  9. I saw Yul Brynner in The King and I on Broadway in the '70s (he did a revival with Constance Towers as Anna). A most amazing experience. Years later, in the early 90s, I saw it again on stage in San Francisco with Rudolph Nureyev as the King. Spectacular, but Mr. Brynner was the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, wow. I am impressed. I can kind of see how Nureyev might have the role, but as you say, Brynner was brill. Just don't smoke.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, I remember Millers Bar and Grill! That was there for years. My parents used to take us there sometimes.
    Looks like they did a great job with The King and I. I'm not a theatre person but I enjoy it when I go - but I am mostly amazed at the clever things they do with sets and props, that's where my attention seems to go.
    Sounds like you had a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, wasn't it a cavernous place inside, huge.

      I am a bit forced to go to musicals, but this was really good.

      Delete
  11. Wonder if this production will come to Perth, I loved the movie would be brilliant to see it as a stage show. Sometimes these older theatres can be a wee bit cramped, but I still love going to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I expect it will. The cost is in the set up and rehearsals, which can be transferred easily enough.

      Delete