Thursday, August 07, 2014

My attempt at world peace

Not really world peace, but peace between Palestine and Israel. I thought by posting You Tube clips from Jerusalem and Palestine of local people performing to the Pharrell Williams Happy music, a bridge might be built. Common ground might be found. A truce might ensue. Ok, I can't solve the world's problems nor the Middle East's, but it would be a good non partisan gesture.

The Happy clip from made in Jerusalem is terrific. I loved the clips from Palestine too. So many hot guys in the Palestine clips. Yes, so many guys. Where are the women? Some were included individually, but not really with men and certainly not as full participants. 

My plan to have peace between Israel and Palestine as they perform Happy together all quite soured.

Without disrespect to a country I know little about, I checked Bulgaria's effort at a Happy video because Bulgaria is not known for its human rights record, but Bulgaria's clip was very inclusive of women, as are most of the Happy clips from around the world.

I may be gay, but women are part of my world and I have no truck with any place where they aren't included. 

Happy clips from around the world are still at times my bedtime reading. This is Happy in Jerusalem, Happy in Bulgaria, and sadly the non female inclusive Happy in Palestine. (I did look at more than one clip from Palestine, and they were similarly non inclusive).

So as Palestine and Israel shoot at each other, I am afraid Palestine is winning the sympathy vote. TV pictures of dead and injured Palestinian children is quite distressing. Israel must be smarter if they are to win any sort of battle in the wider world public mind. My finger on popular opinion, my mother and my partner, who both pick up their opinions by watching tv news breaks, are saying how disgusting are the actions of 'Benjamin Netanwhatever' are and how could Israel do this, especially to children.

Mind, who would want to live in Palestine, a place where women are so repressed?

I am not sure why I am so driven to be disliked by people who would argue from both sides of the metaphorical fence.

18 comments:

  1. Andrew, I don't know what to write. The endless war and no hope to solve the problem. And thousands of innocent victims..... When it will be the end of this conflict....... never!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, being a little older than you, I think I will see the end of the conflict, well it become a non war situation. You will certainly see it.

      Delete
  2. "How could Israel do this?"
    And on the other side of the coin, "How could Palestine do this?"
    Ditto all wars everywhere.
    I will continue to hope for peace. And freedom for women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both worthy aims, River.

      Delete
  3. If I could be granted one wish on earth...it would be world peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, maybe we all wish for such a thing, but it will never happen. But some of the ongoing more intractable wars must surely come to end. Northern Ireland is a case in point.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know women were repressed in Palestine. But I did hear Hamas is not very gay friendly. I guess I should have guessed/known about the women thing.

    Hopefully, one day the Jews and the Muslims will learn how to share that tiny piece of land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, it really goes for most Arab Moslem countries, but within such countries are plenty of enlightened people. I don't think the orthodox in Jerusalem are terribly gay or female friendly either.

      Delete
    2. I know a few Jewish people and they are very female friendly. One family is so orthodox they have the children say grace in Hebrew, there are separate areas in the kitchen for the preparation of foods which must be kept separate, even separate cleaning cloths for those areas. Perhaps it is different because they are living and working in Australia, not Israel.

      Delete
    3. Good to learn, River.

      Delete
  5. Watched the videos. They're very cute. And it's a nice way to get a happy perspective on things.

    Hopefully one day the Jews and Muslims in Israel will dance and be happy together...and be inclusive towards everyone of all genders, sexual orientation, etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed hope for such things Dina.

      Delete
  6. I wish. How I wish. Peace and inclusiveness. Two words. Huge concepts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and yet, they are achievable.

      Delete
  7. Seriously, how can Israel do this? When the oppressed become the oppressors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, it is just so horribly messy but I won't offer my opinion here, just sit straddling the fence while standing on one hand. What?

      Delete
  8. Good heavens looking at those two clips you wouldn't think there was any trouble going on at all! Personally I don't make any judgements on the situation apart from obviously that it's horrific.. but I have no faith in how it's being reported, journalists these days have NO ethics at all, footage can be doctored so easily..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, while I have no great love for journalists and their reports, I think generally from the Middle East they try quite hard to get it right. But I rather think the way the ME is reported depends on the interest of the country receiving the report.

      Delete