Friday, August 01, 2014

Crushing cans

"Dad, why to you crush the cans before you put them in the rubbish", I asked.

"Because animals can put their snouts into the cans and the can might get stuck on their snout", he replied.

He was specifically referring to dog food cans, so the open end was flattened. But he also flattened out cans, like a beer can, in the middle. I was concerned for the welfare of animals, and so I picked up the habit. It is quite pointless with drink cans with a small hole to drink from, nevertheless, any can I put in the rubbish is squeezed together in the middle.  Open topped cans are squeezed shut at the top.

I noticed Tradie Brother does the same. He must have picked it up from Father.

Hippy Niece stayed overnight recently. She brought along half a bottle of some spiced spirit. I thought it would be too sweet for me to try, but R and she had a couple of drinks mixed with Coke. When I took the recycling down to the recycling room, I noticed she too had squeezed the cans in the middle.

Even though she was less than ten years old when he died, I can only conclude that my late Father's can squeezing legacy lives on to his granddaughter.

19 comments:

  1. Andrew, it is very good custom. At my place is typical habit anyone do it because it takes less room and it is very important to reduce your liitter. Personally I do it always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, it does take up less room, but we hope they are all being recycled now.

      Delete
  2. There are many worse legacies to acquire.
    And I crush all our cans (and plastic bottles) too. For the animals and because they take up much less room that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I do it with plastic bottles too. We have to trust that they are being recycled and not dumped in landfill.

      Delete
    2. 90% of recycling goes to landfill because of idiots who put the wrong things in their recycling bins, so the entire truckload is contaminated. I still do the right thing though.

      Delete
  3. I assume crushing the cans is for neatness, efficiency and to minimise the possibility of injuries from dangerous jagged edges.

    I didn't grow up around animals at all but we also crushed cans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, of course you would remember very jagged can edges that were opened with those awful can openers.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of family values being passed down from the oldest generation to their children and then their grandchildren.

    I don't crush tins, but I do leave clothing, books and cooking utensils on the front naturestrip when I have finished with them. My grandmother never threw useful stuff into a rubbish bin and neither did my mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is amazing here what gets put into the two charity bins, that is clothing and small household and personal items. R thinks it is better idea for him to take the recycling down to the basement, rather than me who is inclined to bring stuff back up.

      People of mid twentieth century were very much like that because of their deprivations.

      Delete
  5. I'd never thought of the problem with animals and cans. When I was married with all the kids at home, my husband crushed all his beer cans flat and any soft drink cans too, but only to fit more into the bag that was going to the recycle depot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, covering up for how much he drank, or environmental responsibility?

      Delete
  6. We all do it here, for the simple reason that an empty can takes a lot of space and we have to pay for the garbage bags ! If we wouldn't crush the cans the bag would be full in no time ! We do the same with cartons and plastic bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Gattina. Interesting. Cost is a good incentive.

      Delete
  7. Our cans go to the recycling center un-crushed. I have a friend who has a wall-mounted can crusher in her garage. She and her husband drank a lot of soda, and they crushed every can into a flat disk that then went into the recycling containers. Very Californian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, if the cans go to a proper centre, then it matters little wether they are crushed or as made. Like your friend, we all mean well, and just hope our efforts are not in vain.

      Delete
  8. I do it to take up less space in the trash can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked Keith. So you don't recycle?

      Delete
  9. Well of all the many habits that could be passed down this is one of the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, some not so good ones were too.

      Delete