Monday, August 25, 2014

Brisbane's Victoria Bridge

Brisbane's present Victoria Bridge is a modern construction and hardly worth me finding a photo of it to publish. The bridge it replaced and seen in the photo from 1897 crossed the Brisbane River linking the shopping area of Brisbane to South Brisbane. Isn't it just a gorgeous piece of architecture.


Perhaps someone can suggest whether we are looking towards the city or South Brisbane? Plume was once a fuel company. In this later photo I've heard that as the trams turned after leaving the bridge, school children would bounce up and down in the tram in an attempt to derail it, at times successfully. This photo looks to have been taken in the 1940s. (duh, the file name says 1930s)


My favourite Melbourne bridge would possibly be the Anderson Street bridge, but I like Princes Bridge too, but for history, I can't beat the Chandler Highway Bridge, a car bridge that was built for trains and now funnels traffic in various directions and many lanes of traffic into one lane each way. The natives are protesting about the congestion caused by a single lane in each direction bridge.  Do you have a bridge you really like?

17 comments:

  1. London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. I like the bridge but I LOVE the history.

    http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/london-bridge-in-usa.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I enjoyed re-reading that. I have to laugh though, "He marketed the bridge as a symbol of historic London, a feat of engineering that could trace its lineage back to its medieval ancestor and even earlier". Except it was sinking at both ends.

      Delete
  2. I don't take a lot of notice of brudges I cross, apart from saying oh, that's a lovely bridge, then I forget about them.
    "brudges"? yes, suddenly I'm a kiwi....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you have had too much flu medication.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, this bridge is so nice comparing to the modern ones like in London completely made from metal. It is masterpiece what an architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, there are some very nice London bridges.

      Delete
  4. Hello Andrew,

    Such a pity that this most elegant bridge was not restored when rebuilt.

    It has taken several decades but it is good to see the bridges crossing the Danube in Budapest being restored to their former glory. Of course, the sight of the Chain Bridge at night, beautifully lit and with a background of the Buda Hills is just so romantically wonderful......at least in our eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, I found the bridges over the Danube in Budapest quite fascinating. Not only the Chain Bridge, but Margaret Bridge with its twist along the way, and I think the modern yet quite beautiful Elizabeth white Bridge. I almost feel homesick for Budapest, a place I spent three days in.

      Delete
    2. Darling A,

      You are welcome back any time.......the bridges of Budapest await you!

      Delete
  5. My partner is a Brisbane boy, so I asked him. ' I don't know, its changed a bit since then' was his helpful response. But it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well EC. Thanks for asking at least. I forget that people my age aren't that old and don't remember such things, like things from the sixties.

      Delete
  6. I do have a favourite bridge Andrew and can you believe it's NOT in Paris. My very fav and I love every angle it's seen from is the Sydney Harbour Bridge.. j'adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather special Grace. Maybe more recognisable to the world than the Golden Gate Bridge?

      Delete
  7. Looks really very Victorian !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does Gattina. A Victorian bridge called Victoria, but not in the Australian state of Victoria.

      Delete
  8. Triana Bridge in Sevilla, Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, Mitchell. About 1850, but how awful that it was under threat in 1970s.

      Delete