Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Ugly Balaclava

Sinch was a well known graffiti artist who was accidently killed while surfing naked on top of a train in the suburb of Balaclava. The sign at Flinders Street Station says it all.


Balaclava Station is undergoing a long awaited renovation, the prime reason being the very steep access ramps and there not being an alternative. I looked at the plans at the local library ages ago, like years and as work is proceeding, I thought I would take a look, having forgotten about the graffitiest's death. These sight of these memoriam flowers greeted me as I stepped off the train.


After Sinch's death, the temporary hoardings were graffiti bombed, so I assume police and railway staff are there to prevent a re-occurrence.


It is not a pretty place at the moment.


Down this temporary ramp.


Down this one.


And down this one. Have a look at the wall!


It was a long way down and I ended up well down a side street away from the main street, Carlisle Street. Now I am not easily shocked, but I was gobsmacked at the ugly graffiti everywhere.


Sinch on the wall, which may or may not have been done by him.


Just delightful.


Not getting better, as I walked towards Carlisle Street.


This was quite visible from the train platform but I did not take a photo of it from there. I took this one when a young lady told me it was by Sinch. Beautifying Balaclava? No.


The simple mural is rather nice, if a little faded, but more graffiti on a door and the walls.


A metal sculpture on the rail bridge of the ship Our Lady of St Kilda. It has been graffitied badly before, but there was only a small amount today.


Have a look at the shops near the station in Carlisle Street. This is a disgrace. I am glad I no longer live in Balaclava.


The western side of the rail bridge was graffiti free.


The old and convenient ramp for the hale and hearty to reach the station.


You can see some of Sinch's work here. He shows talent but what a pity he did not direct his energies and talent down a better path.

16 comments:

  1. Killed while surfing naked? It sounds as if he got his (death) wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is pretty risky behaviour, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, Lookind at his graffiti I think he was a great artist. These works are masterpieces what a shame he was killed. I love graffiti on the streets it make them more interesting and multi-coloured. But not all graffiti are nice but some of them damage the streets design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't like all the scrawls that appear everywhere. If they attempt some proper art, that is not so bad.

      Delete
  3. Not bad.. I think I prefer Banksey stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, and the elusive Banksey doesn't tag.

      Delete
  4. He had talent, no doubt, but what a waste. Tagging is ugly, Carlisle St has been full of tagging for years. Very unpleasant on the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it really is the tagging that most people have an issue with. Carlisle Street is much worse than in the 90s.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if the remodelling of those ramps uncovered any more bags full of cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em Stacks, I wonder. There were two found, weren't there.

      Delete
  6. He should have surfed dressed ! Anyway, there are graffitis and graffits, some can be very artistic and nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would have still died though Gattina.

      Delete
  7. Whilst there is some very attractive and skilful graffiti about much of the rest just comes across as vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, and most of it is vandalism. A few of our local governments have commissioned artists to paint murals to defeat tagging, but only if they don't have a history of tagging.

      Delete
  8. Surely surfing on a train naked can never be accidental ? There's such a fine line between street art and graffiti don't you think Andrew.. I think Sinch had his moments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am inclined to agree with you about surfing. The fine lines between the two is how I perceive it :-P

      Delete