Friday, July 18, 2014

Poor old Malaysian Airlines

Sometimes things are just so big that no for pleasure blog writer feels a post by their humble selves would add anything of value to the discourse and they are probably quite correct. I am usually one of those. The bigger the story, the more complex it is, the less likely I am to understand it, let alone write about it.

Yet cannot the little person express an opinion about the very obvious without condemnation? I think so.

Without going into the rights and wrong of the Russian separatists in Ukraine, without doubt supported by Russia, if it is proved that the separatists are guilty of bringing down the Malaysian plane with the loss of everyone on board, then they must suffer the full condemnation of the world.

If Obama said, 'right, we're going in', I doubt too many would be against him. For mine, the terrorists could be locked up in the increasingly emptying Guantanamo Bay. I strongly believe in diplomacy, to prevent violence or future violence. Criminal acts should be punished and if it is a terrorist act against people from so many countries, then just forget the diplomacy. We want punishment and revenge for this intolerable act against the world.

Given 100 of the the 300 odd people killed were on their way to Melbourne, I take this rather personally.

Even if you don't understand the situation, you can still condemn a disgraceful act. Feel free.

24 comments:

  1. It is indeed a disgraceful act. Like far too many. No ifs, no buts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Russians didn't do this.... they just want their families, citizens, schools, universities and churches to be able to live as Russians. I would be having a good look at the Ukrainians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we shall see in time. Equally despicable, which ever side.

      Delete
    2. I doubt very much that the Ukrainians would have the fire power to reach a plane 33,000m up. The Russians probably didn't do it but I bet they supplied the rockets that did.

      Delete
    3. Diane, I am inclined to agree with you. Quite a bit more has come out since I wrote this, twitter conversations that were deleted, etc.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, it is very cruel incident I don't understand why they did it. But definitely they have to be punished. A lot of people lost their lives innocently.Wh?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, quite true. Whoever did this has to suffer the full weight of world opinion and condemnation.

      Delete
  4. The subject of this post and your previous one only confirm what little respect some have for the lives of others when political and/or religious self interest comes into play.

    Shockingly on the same day as this event an Australian suicide bomber has struck in Iraq.

    It is just appallingly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I used to publish humorous You Tube clips on a Friday. How grim today is.

      In Iraq, Australian in name, but I hope not really Australian.

      Delete
  5. I haven't kept up with the news about that plane, seems I have some catching up to do. Is there an online article I can read?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly me, I assumed you were talking about that Malaysian Airlines plane missing since March. I'm watching Channel 7 news right now and see I'm wrong. But that is two Malaysian Airlines planes in trouble this year, I'd be very wary about getting a flight with Malaysian anytime soon. Or at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the first incident may or may not be blamed on Malaysian Airlines. Today, no fault at all. It was just bad luck.

      Delete
  7. 108 Dutch delegates were on their way to attend the AIDS conference in Melbourne. Hope the cure of AIDS would not be lost with the plane. Terrible, just terrible. Did you watch the video compilation on the conversations between the pro- Russian militants and Russian major? It is just horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM, I haven't seen the compilation, but I read enough to know what you are talking about. I am just waiting for some right wing religious group to claim it was god's will against AIDS activists and associated.

      Delete
    2. I doubt you'll have to wait long.

      Delete
  8. Such a sad and tragic thing. It sickens me that these people lost their lives due to a conflict they had nothing to do with. War and conflict is hell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly Keith, the innocent lose their lives often enough. This is a big one in our time.

      Delete
  9. I was gutted when I heard the news as I woke up. Very sad to also hear of the Aids Conference delegates that we lost too. Horrible day :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's horribly sad. The fact that there were many Australians on the plane doesn't make it more tragic. But it makes me FEEL more sad. Some things hit us worse than others. I also was horrified to learn they were heading towards an AIDS conference in Melbourne.

    I think killing innocent random people to get your message across is inexcusable and evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly evil, Dina. I tried to make an appointment with my doctor on Monday, but had to book with someone else as mine would be away attending a conference.

      Delete
  11. There is not much I can say about this, its hard enough to believe it's happened, who ever fired the missile off in the first place is truly evil if they understood what damage they could do with it no matter what side they are on.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, which ever side, what on earth were amateurs doing with something that could bring down a place at 31,000 feet?

      Delete