Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Look what they done to my views, Ma

This is how McDonalds across the road looked a few weeks ago. As far as I can recall, it has had the same canopy at the front for over ten years. I quite disliked the garishness of it.


Some scaffold went up and the store was closed for a couple of days while the canopy was removed and the small overhang was placed over the entrance. Yes, it is bright, but overall I thought the appearance of the store was very much improved. You should have seen the dejected looks of patrons when they discovered it was closed and they instead they had to choose the healthier Subway option.


But it was a bit too early to be overly gleeful. This damn balloon was installed on the roof. I think it has a permanent air pump to keep it up and has guy wires to keep it stable. It might take a .303 rather than a .22 bullet to deflate it. Where is my father's gun cache? I'll fix the damn thing, without even leaving home. (that is something we will have to address one day, Father's hidden unregistered firearms)


It gets worse. The balloon is also illuminated. I am sure there are council regulations about St Kilda Road signage. I am surprised this is allowed.


25 comments:

  1. Andrew, in my opinion it is not look nice, luckily at my place McDonald's look normally. But who know what will be in the future... probably the same in this global village

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I noticed in Europe that most McDonald stores have quite restrained exteriors. Most of our do not and are much worse than this small shop.

      Delete
  2. The balloon reminds me of the old flashing neon signs over a bar seen from a seedy hotel. Perhaps it brings out the child in Big Mac addicts. sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I remember those signs quite vividly. We had them here too but yours on the screen always seemed menacing.

      Delete
  3. Aaagh. How frightful. I suspect there is a lot of Macca's litter nearby to add to the joy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, oh the litter, yes. Fortunately most of it does not blow in our direction.

      Delete
  4. That balloon is too much. But what can you do? It's Macca's, they get away with anything they want. Including outlets where people don't want them. I hope the day never comes when they are allowed to open 24/7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, they seem to be able to do anything. Are you being ironical about 24/7? As it says on the balloon, 24/7.

      Delete
    2. Didn't notice the 24 hours on the balloon! Damn.
      I hope our Maccas don't copy. I don't think any of ours are open 24 hours. I don't go there so don't really know.

      Delete
  5. But Macca's are not known for their class they are just there to sell strange food.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I have to laugh at their coffee barister tv ads. As if you can get good coffee at McDonalds.

      Delete
  6. Makes it look like you live across the road from a circus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not sure I want to live opposite a circus Victor.

      Delete
  7. OMG Andrew, that's hideous! Get the gun out pronto, you would have your whole neighborhood on your side I bet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Grace, I am being pushed to take it up with council.

      Delete
  8. Can you approach the EPA at all? You might have a case with all that light during the night hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, no. The light intrusion is minimal, although it may affect some people nearby. The EPA is quite good about light issues and I have had contact with them before about an unrelated lighting matter, one that lit up my bedroom.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear what a ghastly sight. Hope it isn't permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, yes, I am going to contact the council. It is quite awful.

      Delete
  10. Yeah. It's a bit tacky. If you're going to have something that lights up and is huge like that...at least make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, I wonder if it is supposed to be permanent or not.

      Delete
  11. Oh that's terrible. It's bad enough seeing a McDonald's there - let along the ridiculous balloon on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, at least it is only a small one, and not like the huge ones in our outer suburbs.

      Delete
  12. Shall we take up shooting practise? Even with a bow and arrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bow and arrow Fen. What fun. More has happened, with more red on the front of the shop and something being constructed outside. I am afraid.

      Delete