Sunday, July 20, 2014

Let's Go Shopping

Must be Sunday, the day when River and often Elephant's Child and Jackie post Sunday Selections.

Here we are, crossing from Myer department store to the retail complex Emporium. Finally within Melbourne city is an ABC Shop, after the last one closed in the old GPO building. The Emporium ABC Shop is a bit smaller, but adequate. This is the view towards Chinatown up Little Bourke Street. As an aside, I was filling in a crossword the other day, and a clue was 'an old name for China' and it really had me scratching my head. I was sure I should know the answer. Sino certainly did not fit. What about Cathay? It fitted. So that is where the airline name Cathay Pacific comes from. I did not know Cathay was an old name for China. Did you?


A bit of glitz at the Emporium entrance.


But what if it rains?


I assume this kale is ornamental and not edible. I saw someone nip off some parsley though.


Melbourne is an odd place, where motorbikes are allowed to be parked on the footpath, and they do, often badly and obstruct pedestrians.


The Melbourne Town Hall porch, from where The Beatles waved to the mega crowds back into about 1964.


Opposite, a quite nice old building, clearly built after the invention of lifts. Did you know Melbourne's lifts used to be water powered by a high pressure system supplied by the city council? I believe there is still one left, but I am sure the high pressure supply has long been shut down.


Mirka Mora's mural, restored a few years ago, but it is not looking great now and one end has been truncated by the wall of a gambling establishment.


This does not give you a good idea of Melbourne's Federation Square, or Fed Square, as we call it. I'll try better next time.


I was quite pleased when we bought our new battery operated salt and pepper grinders and I am sure I posted about them at the time. However, I now consider them to be quite ugly and I can't say they worked terribly well, and each needed four AAA batteries. I like our new very manually operated set. Found the post when the old ones were new.


Gifts for Little Jo, a dinosaur card, a dinosaur dvd and not pictured, a moving dinosaur bought elsewhere. All fitted nicely into a Peppa Pig gift bag. It is Sister's birthday soon and for a few dollars as a novelty gift, we bought her these track suit pants with her football team emblazoned on them. Instead of showing people about 3000 digital photos of our Euro holiday, we selected 300 to have printed and bought an album. It can be viewed and things pointed out in less than ten minutes. NB 10 cents per print at Officeworks against 15 cents at Harvey Norman saved us some money and was worth the bother of price checking first.


16 comments:

  1. Andrew, it is amazing motorbikes can be parked on footpath. In my country is forbidden if you do it you have to pay a penalty. It is fascinating that children all over the world have the same interests like dinosaurs or Peppa Pig gift bag. But having that jacket it would be fun but the umbrellla is a MUST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think it is the only state in Australia where motor bike parking is allowed on the streets.

      Yes, we saw all the Peppa Pig products in Europe and in London.

      Delete
  2. It is obviously way too long since I have been to Melbourne.
    It must have been hard choosing your 'favourite' 300 images. Very hard.
    Lale and parsley make a very decorative garden bed. I wonder whether you can eat that kale... Probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, not too hard really as they are mostly people shots and the significant things that travellers are supposed to see.

      Delete
  3. You have motorbikes on the sidewalks and we have restaurant tables. It'd be nice if sidewalks were only used for walking. Actually, I've yet to figure out why people want to sit on the sidewalk for a nice dinner when you have people, including the homeless, walking right next to you.
    I like the new salt and pepper much better btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, we have them too. Just at dinner last night there was a bit of a rant by some about tables on footpaths. But then I am one who likes to sit outside, so I am guilty. Indian workmates have told me that they think sitting outside to eat is disgusting and unclean.

      Delete
  4. I learn more about Melbourne from your blog than anywhere else, they say the locals know the best places.
    Salt and pepper grinders that run on batteries never heard of such a thing.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, and some even come with led lights that shine down on your food where your salt or pepper is grinding. But they don't make your lamb chop taste any different.

      Delete
  5. The names for China come from particular dynasties like Qin or Jin dynasties (e.g. China in English, Sino in Hebrew etc). Or from a particular ethnic group eg Cathay based on the Khitan.

    My language at home is 50% good English, 25% good Hebrew and 25% bad Yiddish. So I still use the word Sin for China, but I knew Cathay straight away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have always thought of Yiddish as being a fun language. If anyone would have know Cathy, it would be you.

      Delete
  6. Am a bit wary about picking the herbs on Swanston. Surely those planters would be popular spots for drunken urination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra good wash then, AdRad.

      Delete
  7. 300 photos in an album is much better than scrolling through 3000.
    I always thought Cathay was an entirely different place, a small island like Hong Kong perhaps.
    I like the kale and parsley planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, we don't want to bore people with photos.

      I had no idea about Cathay, so you are a step ahead of me by even thinking about it.

      Delete
  8. I love it when you post photos of Melbourne. I wish you would do it more often. Those pants were a real find. As far as albums go, after my travels I usually get 100s of photos printed for myself as they are always a good aide - mémoire but I also have an album of 50 - 100 of the best ones for family and friends to browse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, noted. It is a bit hard when working to get out and about often. I have a few up my sleeve though.

      I've pretty well given up printing photos, but for holidays, it is nice to have an album to flick through and as you say, for family and friends to flick through.

      Delete