Wednesday, July 02, 2014

I said luv, I said pet, I said luv, I said love all

Australians have never warmed to talented Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic, because we are racist and don't like foreign types. He should have changed his name to Thomas, or even Cash, or Woodbridge or Hewitt.

Yes, we are so terribly racist, unless the name is Nick Kyrgios, who seems to be unlike Tomic, a thoroughly nice lad with very nice parents.

I did not really listen to the first news bulletin I heard this morning, assuming Kyrgios had lost. Later I listened to hear by how much he lost and how well he acquitted himself against Raffy Nadal. I couldn't believe it. He won. I felt like he had won Wimbledon. 

If he goes on further in the competition, good. But he is already a high achiever in my eyes. Sadly I suppose the press are desperately digging for a character or moral flaw, but at the age of 19 and with such nice and loving parents, I doubt they will find one.


20 comments:

  1. Hear hear Andrew - I was surprised as well with his win. Let's hope the press and the tennis powers that be don't have too high expectations of this young man and them come down on him hard when he doesn't do so well in a tournament.
    Fingers crossed for his next game :)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, while it would have been a wonder if he one the game last night, I am kind of pleased he didn't, for his own long term sake.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised and all! He has a ripper serve and legs that run and run. Oh to be young and endlessly energetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am not sure that I was ever that energetic, even when young.

      Delete
  3. I have just been watching Nick play in the quarter finals against the Canadian whose name I can't remember. Although he lost he played really well and one to look out for in future tournaments. Alas Andy Murray was also knocked out today. As he himself admitted he didn't play well and I am gutted. I tried to get a ticket for today on Centre court but didn't. Just as well really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, let's hope Nick has a long playing future. Murray won last year, I think? That made him English, but now he is back to being Scottish, haha.

      Delete
  4. How I hope he is allowed to continue to focus on his tennis. Love what I have seen of his family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it seems to be a family with a lot of love.

      Delete
  5. I like him a lot he is amusing, not cranky and big headed like some of them.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Merle. And we hope he does not become so.

      Delete
  6. Well if it makes you feel more 'aussie', Nick Kyrgios' mom is 1/2 Malaysian......ooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, now I get her. What fun she is. And I guess she married a Greek Australian bloke.

      Delete
  7. I saw him on the news last night and his mum, they seem like nice down-to-earth people. I hope they stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is what I thought.

      Delete
  8. That shot he played between his legs, amazing! I hope he goes far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, because it was a shot 'between the legs', I had to see it, and I did. It was impressive.

      Delete
  9. He was a surprise from nowhere. Hope he keeps improving and gets right to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a surprise Diane, but he probably should not have been.

      Delete
  10. Hopefully he'll stay grounded and with experience take it all the way. It was the best surprise to hear first thing in the morning though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I heard he is moving back to Canberra to be with his family. I think that is a good idea.

      Delete