Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Eurocruise The Cost

I often complain about the cost of things and I am inclined to save a penny rather than a pound . R has to drag me kicking and screaming into any big expenditure, as he did for the holiday. We could have had larger room on the boat for more money. We could have added a balcony onto the room we had. We could have had both, a larger room and and a balcony for a lot more money, or we could have gone cheaper with just a high level port hole window. For me, there would have been no point taking the cruise if you did not have proper ceiling to floor windows to look out to the passing scenery. Not that we spent a lot of time in our cabin, but enough to appreciate what was passing by.

The price of the cruise and 'free airfare' was AU$20,000 for both of us. US$18,900, €13,800, £11,000, just for JayLa, HUF4,300,000. For the rest of the holiday accommodation, train travel etc, including spending money, about $5,000. (exchange rates were in late June)

That kind of expenditure on holiday was beyond anything I imagined and my life savings has gone, but I have no regrets.  It was terrific value. All the meals for the two weeks, as much as you could drink (I think I got my share), the tours with local guides were brilliant and so well organised. The personal attention from staff on the boat was without question. Admission fees were all paid for, as was bus/coach travel. The only thing that might be considered hard was to be in the right place at the right time for tours. There were always alternative arrangements for the less hale and hearty, and the highly active people who liked to cycle. 

Divided by two, total, $12,500 each. No regrets at all, good value for money and I recommend APT river cruises but do look carefully at what is a 'free' airline flight. It may take a long time to reach your destination.

22 comments:

  1. 11 thousand?
    Bloody hell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it was quite high end. Not the sort of thing we do normally.

      Delete
  2. It is a enjoyable trip Andrew, I still think fondly of the trip we made four years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am sure we will remember it fondly too. Bits come back to me all the time, as did something yesterday that I am working on, Hofer.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I think it was right decision that trip was amazing and remember You have lived only once. So it is great idea to see world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, and I don't have children to leave anything to. Nieces and nephew are all self sufficient.

      Delete
  4. Lovely. My trip to Antarctica was obscenely expensive - and I don't regret it for a minute. A once in a lifetime experience - and memories to hug to myself forever. As you and R have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I was thinking of how much that must have cost. And like us, no regrets.

      Delete
  5. With everything included apart from spending money, I'd say that is a very good deal for such a long cruise. You'll have those memories forever and can probably save a good portion of the life savings again now that you are home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, if there had been the slightest stingyness, I would have been annoyed but there wasn't. The food just kept coming, the drinks flowed, the onshore day tours went ahead flawlessly.

      Delete
  6. Whatever you have spent is not important it was something you do once in your life and for the rest of your life you have your memories. I call that money well spent ! Better then buying a luxury car !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, R is saying we should do this every year. Fortunately neither he nor I have the money to do so. Yes, our cars are old.

      Delete
  7. This is a very real problem with every trip - how much money to spend on the transport (plane, ship, train) and how much to spent on the land component (food, hotels, tours etc)?

    For some reason, the spousal unit selected last year's transport, not me. He selected a cheap Windstar cruise ship on the Mediterranean, and although all the days spent on the islands were fantastic, the days spent on the ship itself were awful.

    It was a false economy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I used to be cheap about such things but I have learnt not to be. You pay more, you get better, generally. I hope you gave your worst half a good serve.

      Delete
  8. I want to travel on the Orient Express one day that's very expensive but I would still like to do it, some things are worth it.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I'll come. I would love to do that. I will even buy a suit and a dinner jacket. Your children are doing ok. Get them to stump up for your next significant birthday.

      Delete
  9. That certainly is good value. Travel overseas is so expensive, you would have never managed on that cost doing it yourself. Well worth it, and the memories and experiences will be with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, not only would it have cost more to do it ourselves, it would not have been so good, very stressful and we would have seen half what we saw.

      Delete
  10. It is a huge expenditure Andrew, but the memories.. and thankfully the photos for when our memory goes :) will last forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, somewhat of a cliché but quite true.

      Delete
  11. It's nice when you can spend a lot and get really good quality.

    What scares me is stories of people who spend a lot and then have a bad experience.

    Money doesn't guarantee a good time....but it definitely increases your chances of not having a bad time.

    I'm very glad you enjoyed your cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, I don't think we have ever had a bad holiday. The occasional thing that goes wrong, but never generally a bad whole experience. We certainly enjoyed it.

      Delete