Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Eurocruise 28/05 London to Newcastle

After our little lost arrival problems, there was no way I was suggesting anything else but a taxi to get to Kings Cross Station to head north. Who told me to just get a cab from St Pancras to our hotel when we arrived? (I am sure it was Scott) Pity I didn't listen. The thing is, you can be adventurous, but not once you reach a certain age and you have to pull heavy suitcases. Our cab went along Marylebone Road then Euston Road to Kings Cross.

Window cleaners were in, at the apartment building opposite our hotel. That looks costly. As an aside, the gorgeous window boxes adorning many properties in London are professionally maintained. That is, a companies look after them.


I miss Jayne. She would have liked these chimney pots. I hope she received our post card.


Yes, as we departed London, it was wet.


Last look at the outside of Kings Cross.




East Coast Trains run a pretty good service, especially if you are travelling first class, which did not cost much more when snapped up as the tickets were released.


A respectable speed, but it did slow down towards the north of England, where I guess the track is not as good.

When Hercule Poirot travelled first class in trains, the service and the food were rather sumptuous. Times change.

Note top right, a sign that it is a quiet carriage, and it was.


Do I need to explain this is a river? Do I need to say it is still raining?



We were met at Newcastle Station by R's Sister 1 and her husband who we were staying with, and they took us to Sister 3's cafe for a splendid family feast. It was good to see all R's family, including Sister 2 and her family. Tables were all put together and a fine repast was served. I just don't get mince and dumplings, or Yorkshire Pudding, but then no one in England gets Vegemite. Lucky I had my own tube with me.

We were there for about three hours, scaring customers away I guess. We then went to Sister 1's place in the suburb of Lemington and sorted ourselves out, showered and settled it. Sister 1's daughter arrived with wine and her life long gay muso friend, with whom I flirted outrageously and is now an FB friend and we have had some interesting nice chats, and I'm afraid we all ended up the worse for the drink. No matter. It had been a great homecoming for R. In their different ways, R's family are all very nice. As they say in Geordie Land, luv 'em to bits.

14 comments:

  1. The good old northern hospitality and rain of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, it did fine up nicely the day we left Newcastle.

      Delete
  2. It's good that the 'in laws' are so welcoming and by providing a flirtation object they have well and truly overachieved their familial obligations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly did Victor, but then we were also good hosts to two of the three sisters.

      Delete
  3. How nice that the family reunion was so pleasant. Something which is often very, very far from true.
    Re the rain. At a bus stop one morning a recent UK immigrant put a whole new slant on it for me. He was complaining that in Newcastle (which is where he came from) when his children fell over they got muddy and grubby. Both of his sons had broken their arms within a week of landing in Oz when they fell over on our sun-baked soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, Sister 2 & 3 are thick as thieves, and Sister 1 on the outer a bit, but they do at least keep in touch a bit.

      That's an amusing anecdote and our rock hard soil being dangerous hadn't occurred to me.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, it is very nice to meet family from time to time then everybody is very friendly and hospitable. What about English food I like it but it is worse than mine. So the weather typically British. I have never been to Newcastle but I believe it is interesting and busy city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is a very big city and a very historic one too. They are called Geordies in that area and they have a reputation for being hospitable, very talkative but tough too.

      Delete
  5. I have the urge to apologies for the state of our train food....
    I have just travelled on swedish rail
    Ok the trains were basic
    But the food was fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it wasn't bad food for a trip of 2.5 hours. Where things went wrong was from Newcastle to Manchester, 3.5 hours I think and still in first class, absolutely nothing. A tick to East Coast. No tick for First Trans Pennine Express.

      Delete
  6. Royal Leamington Spa in Warwickshire is one of my absolutely favourite cities, with the pump rooms, baths, Georgian townhouses etc. I don't suppose your in-laws live there, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hels, definitely Lemington in Newcastle. I saw Leamington on a map yesterday and it was north of Newcastle, so there must be more than one Leamington.

      Delete
  7. I looked up Newcastle, I had no idea it was so far North, you're almost in Scotland!
    Glad you didn't have much rain.
    The train looks nice, far better than our old red rattlers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, less than an hour's drive away. Yes, we can certainly learn from the UK and Europe about trains and public transport.

      Delete