Monday, July 07, 2014

Eurocruise 02/06 The northern English coast

R, Sister 1, her husband and myself set forth to the north to visit a colliery museum called Woodhorn near the town of Ashington. Firstly we stopped at Sister 3's cafe for breakfast and it wasn't too far on to Woodhorn. Alas, it was closed Mondays. We didn't think to check in advance.

While others were confirming it was shut, I was looking at my phone maps. This place nearby sounds interesting, New-Biggin-on-the-Sea. Sister 1 said it is ok so off we went.




Good to see lots of wind turbines. Had a swung the camera around, the view would have been of power station chimneys.


We stopped here briefly.





Ah, I did swing the camera around. Note the solitary wind turbine.


Sister 1's husband and the lurcher running on the New-Biggin-by-the-Sea beach. We did not know that the dog could still run.


These figures staring out to see were huge.


Built to withstand North Sea gales, and it felt like there was one.





The village where R bought some Blackpool Rock, which are sticks of hard candy.


We went on to the village of Blythe, where they were these gaily coloured bathing boxes. I hope they are more windproof than those in Melbourne. We decided to have lunch in the cafe, along with every old age pensioner and disabled person in England. It was so busy, on a Monday and nothing special about the day.


Next door to the cafe we had lunch, a dog played in the garden with his toy.


After lunch, oh  dear, I see destruction. It's an unusual house. I quite like it.


Brrr, only R and myself walked to the beach over a rise.


Odd building on the way home. I forget what it is, but it seems to be entertainment related.


If you have a good memory, you may remember when Sister 1 and her husband were in Australia March last year and we took them to stay a couple of nights in Walhalla, and at a b&b breakfast one morning, we were treated to seeing kookaburras being called and coming to feed by our breakfast hosts. A enlarged photo from the delightful experience has ended up on R's sister's wall. It looked really terrific.




16 comments:

  1. Love the kookaburras - and yes, it does look gorgeous.
    It looks a bit of a bleak day - but interesting. I am endlessly amazed at English place names, and really liked that quirky house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, in a funny co-icidence, the link back to last March takes you to not only kookas, but King Parrots too. I think the house windows are too low to see the sea, but otherwise, it has style.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a lovely little corner of the world. I do like that house as well - and the beautifully trim garden. Were those geese wild? They're beautiful, as are the kookaburras (great photo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, the geese did not seem to be one little bit cross. Yes, I think they were wild. I was surprised by the kooka photo. I have my own and did not know they had such a good one.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, is so interesting and looks the same as Upper Silesia with mines. At my place there are and are two or three colliery musuems which are very intersting and display machine and equipment connected with. The house is vey unusual but in Britain I have seen a lot of funny houses. Kookaburras I have seen the first time in my life. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I thought of your mines when I saw that one. Pity it was closed, but we did other nice things. I will show you one day what a kookaburra sounds like.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the kookaburra blowup!
    I like those colourful little bathing boxes too, I wish we had more of those in Australia, so handy for getting changed at the beach instead of those huge concrete changing rooms where everyone is exposed and the floors are always wet and sandy.
    It looks quite chilly up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the blowup was great, I thought. We have many bathing boxes here, but privately owned. I don't like public change rooms either. Never did at school even.

      Delete
  5. A great little tour. Thanks. And you're right about that final photo. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comments keep vanishing, not sure why.
    My google is in greek. Oh ye gods!
    The kookas look 3D, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I don't think it looked 3D in the room, but it certainly does in the photo. I will email my photo to them.

      Delete
  7. Am enjoying coming along on your trip Andrew but.... Oh wow, the kookaburra shot is fabulous, talk about right time, right place and of course good eye and quick reflex.. Totally fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it was a magical experience.

      Delete
  8. Just out of interest Andrew for my forthcoming trip was that phone you used your home one? Did you get a new SIM card overseas for it? I'm interested in what you did. Email me separately if you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Victor, I've sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete