Sunday, May 04, 2014

Sunday Selection (late)

River and Elephant's Child have Sunday Selections for this week. Check them out. Here is my effort.

A London taxi! It's at the Emporium shopping centre in Melbourne. We may well be travelling in one in a few weeks. Perth ordered quite a number of London style taxis to trial. I must check to see how they are faring. I think they might be a good design for all Australian cities.


This stand is being built at Southern Cross Station to support a very old and historic clock. More on that once the clock has been placed in position.


A sculpture adorning a building in one of Melbourne's many laneways.


Oh dear, a restaurant tram broke down. Everybody off. They all  sounded very 'jovial' so I suspect they were well into their meals and drinks.


While the emergency truck arrived promptly enough, it took forever to connect up the tow bar and remove the defective tram, with the delay to all services of over forty minutes.


The diners thought they would be put on the following restaurant tram, but there was news for them. The tram sailed straight past them. There is usually a third restaurant tram, so they were probably put on that, but from what I know, the three trams are usually booked out well in advance for the late dinner.


Road resurfacing down below. I haven't noticed that there was anything wrong with the road surface. Maybe it authorities using up the budgets before the end of the financial year. I found the machine with the two huge lights quite intriguing. I don't know if it had any other purpose than for lighting.


Laverton Station has a relatively  new entrance. You climb stairs or use the lift, cross the bridge a bit, then go down stairs or by lift to the platform. What do people want at a railway station? I should think a quick and easy entrance and exit and Laverton Station certainly doesn't give that.  Station design is getting less friendly, rather than better.


There was a huge number of cars in the huge carparks and good to see a decent number of bicycles.


Now at Newport Station, and it is a bit hard to see, there is a raised area on the platform to make it easy for people in wheel chairs to enter and exit the train, rather that the time wasting procedure of the train driver getting out, placing ramps and then putting them back again.


Victoria's Miami Beach? Only $1 an acre? Well, it is hardly my idea of Miami and surely it would be £1 an acre.


This is the best designed drinking fountain I have yet to see. Excess water flows down to the dog bowl, coming out the top hole at the bowl, and the level does not go above the lower overflow drain hole.


Terrific sculptures in a prominent place at Altona Beach. I love visiting the area. It is always quite and peaceful.



The board is not big enough for me clear my conscience. Well, R would tell you that.

15 comments:

  1. I do like to see street art - whether or not I like the individual pieces - if that makes sense.
    I like the look of the London taxi though - a distinctive shape, which would be hard to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while London taxis have changed a lot over the years, the basic shape hasn't. Iconic is the word.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, the London taxi is absolutely wonderful. The sculptures on the beach are so original and I like them.I have never seen these in Europe. Great idea and the artist must have been so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am guessing you have travelled in a London taxi?

      Delete
  3. I don't like the new Laverton entrance, why are improvements all ultra modern? How about something new in a traditional style?
    I heard about the London taxis in Perth from my brother, he said the drivers all seemed to be wearing turbans and he hoped they'd taken the time to learn the streets of Perth before going out for customers. I personally think city street tests should be compulsory for all taxi drivers. Maybe they are, but in the past I've had to direct a few taxis to my own street from the local shopping centre.
    I do like the look of the London taxi and hope we get some here in Adelaide. The street art is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, one thing for sure. In fifty years no one will protesting to save Laverton Station.

      Melbourne's taxi system is being tightened up a lot at the moment, and drivers will have to undergo much more training.

      Delete
  4. Love that person/tree sculpture. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What person tree sculpture Fen?

      Delete
    2. the sculpture adorning the building! It's beautiful. Tree woman is what I thought the moment I saw her.

      Delete
    3. Ah, got it now Fen.

      River, it is good. It needs a clean, perhaps only noticeable by real eyes, but I like it.

      Delete
  5. Altona Beach looks lovely - I've never been but will make sure I visit now. Is that where the Clear Your Conscience wall is? I'd like to see that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, make a day of it with your family. A relaxing train trip and the beach is very nice. The wall is within the local shops and there is a fantastic mural, which I have blogged about before and did not show this time.

      Delete
  6. The new taxis look fabulous Andrew, they are white or cream maybe but look terribly elegant.. I've seen them driving around the city and am almost tempted to book one just to take pics inside and out :) It must be quite fun watching the goings on down below from your balcony, how high up are you exactly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear about the taxis Grace. We are about 60 metres up.

      Delete
    2. I might not actually be able to look over your balcony Andrew.. that's way too high :)

      Delete