Saturday, April 26, 2014

Who stole my member?

I haz been shifted. Our state electoral boundaries have changed to take into account the changing population. I am no longer in the Victorian State electorate of Albert Park but in Prahran, well come the next state election. What does this mean to me? Albert Park is a marginal Labor(sic) seat with a margin of our around 2%. Prahran is a safer seat, but for the Liberals with a margin of around 4%. It hasn't always been so. Prahran was often marginal, in my memory. Albert Park was more inclined to be Labor but lost significant Labor votes when the high profile John 'Buckets' Thwaites left office. The buckets reference is to when he was a minister responsible for the water supply when there was an extreme drought.

I live on the western side of St Kilda and I expect while I know some passionate leftie Labor voters on the street, I would guess the inclusion of this part of St Kilda Road has many Liberal Party voters.

NB for you foreign types, the Liberal Party is the conservative party.

Our present Albert Park Labor member is Martin Foley. He does well enough and is quite personable. I have had some contact with him.

Our new Prahran Liberal member will be Clem Newton-Brown. While I know little of his thoughts on the economy, he seems to socially progressive, unlike many Liberal Party members who would like to turn the social calendar back to the 1950s white picket fences.  I actually think he is not a bad bloke, and no higher Aussie style compliment can I pay.

So who to vote for? I will check if there is a Communist Party party member running, but failing that, in spite of Sarah Hanson Young, a Greens Party person who would like to flood Australia with refugees from every country on earth, as long as they can say 'I am a refugee', I will vote for the Green Party. Why?

Sister took Mother to visit a friend who lives at a most beautiful place, in the green hills above where Mother lives. It is a combination of cleared land and bush forests. Mother communed with slightly tame kangaroos on the property, yet when Mother looked down the hill, the march of the four bedroom and three living room house suburbs was coming up the hill at a rapid rate.

Every new housing estate is taking land away from our native animals. Many are using up productive land used for grazing and vegetable and fruit growing. It is big business developers allowed to run rampant to make mega profits. This is so unsustainable.

What you say? A higher density inner to middle Melbourne? This has already happened to the point where the infrastructure can't cope.

The extraordinary Ponzi Scheme of growth of economy via the population growth of Australia must be stopped. Now, which party is going to pull back this absurdly rapid population explosion?

21 comments:

  1. My state electorate was changed a couple of state elections ago.

    It was a pity. Our former electorate was named Bligh after Governor Bligh who in his earlier career was Captain Bligh of Mutiny on the Bounty fame. That romantic electorate name was replaced by Vaucluse which may be a pretty place name in the 'olde country' but is used as pejorative descriptor by one slide of politics to imply that their opponents are nothing but wealthy fat cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "to imply that their opponents are nothing but wealthy fat cats." And they aren't Victor?

      Delete
    2. Fair point in many cases Andrew but my irritation is the inference that so are all their constituents.

      Delete
  2. Shifting electoral boundaries or moving home always produces personal chaos.

    My parents lived in a wonderful, safe Labour electorate and moved to a rusted-on Conservative stronghold when their family home was too big for two retired elderlies. Election time became a nightmare for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, like voting for someone you know has no chance of being elected? My life really.

      Delete
  3. Don't matter where you live come voting time it's a always a problem who do I vote for, I have become a swinging voter a while back now I check out whats on offer and who is representing.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I almost with old age pensions were cut, just to teach my mother a lesson about voting for The Abbott.

      Delete
  4. I always wonder if voting makes any kind of difference overall. I know there are times when it can make a difference but all in all it seems money and greed conquers all and the houses just keep on moving up the hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, very occasionally it does when it comes down to one vote, but how often does that happen. Generally it doesn't matter much. But maybe you remember when you were a kid and dropped some rubbish on the ground and a parent might say, if everyone did that, what a dirty place we would live in.

      Delete
  5. "Every new housing estate is taking land away from our native animals. Many are using up productive land used for grazing and vegetable and fruit growing. It is big business developers allowed to run rampant to make mega profits. This is so unsustainable."
    Yes, it is, but you would be willing to give your vote to " a Greens Party person who would like to flood Australia with refugees from every country on earth,"
    it's a real dilemma isn't it? refugees need a place to live, yet too many housing estates take away our farming lands and wildlife reserves, as well as clogging up infrastructure that already cannot cope. If only the red centre was able to be used. Developed for the hundreds of thousands who could fit in there.
    I tell you Andrew, one of these days Melbourne and Sydney will be so heavy with people, the cities will just tip into the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, I am conflicted. Note party leader Christine Milne generally stays away from immigration and leaves that for Hanson Young. I actually don't think they get along.

      It is not just refugees. It is the dollar encouragement to longer term Australian's to have more children, when the world already has too many people.

      Just before we tip into the ocean, I think I might find a nice place near Glenelg to live.

      Delete
  6. It really is a bit of a dilemma. I am so ashamed (and angry) at the way our current gubbermint (and the ones before) treat asylum seekers that I tend to look for a bit of compassion when I am chosing who to vote for. Except there are a lot of issues which matter to me, and the responses don't fit one party very well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, refugees are my biggest moral dilemma. I don't want people treated badly and I am ashamed of the way we treat boat arrivals, but I also have a very practical side. We can't just open the gates and perhaps more resources should be directed to overstaying Westerners.

      Delete
  7. Phew! This is slightly less horrifying than what I firsst thought when i read your title Andrew.. mind you only 'slightly' less horrifying :) I agree with all above voting has become a sorry state of affairs, must admit in our last senate election a few weeks ago I did vote green, Scott Ludlam's speech lampooning the Abbott was delivered in such a succinct and brilliant way how could I not vote for him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you bit about the title. Thankfully someone did. Scott is a good bloke. Most of the Greens are very sincere people.

      Delete
  8. Those lovely paddocks you drive through to get to coffee in Daylesford, have to pay council rates just as you do in town, only on 1000 acres instead of a quarter acre.
    They sell up. Trucks and tractors and fuel, and driving the 250,000 baler all night in January before the pasture gets wet ... it's all too hard. They are too tired at night to wrestle with the BAS statement, the brucellosis report, and the paperwork the gubmint insists on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Em Stacks indeed. I appreciate what you say. By charging such council rates for the property's potential as a subdivision ensures it will become one. It is plainly wrong. There must be a more equitable way to ensure farmers don't make a killing on subdividing, but also that they are not driven to subdividing, or selling to a developer to do so.

      Delete
  9. We have found that Liberal state gubmints usually change the voting borders to help them get more seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, but not as badly as the infamous Joh gerrymander.

      Delete
  10. You're so right about the current lot wanting to take us back to the 50s. Who would have thought that they'd introduce an outdated peer system. What's next? Pounds, Schillings and pence, the feet an inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, you can respect people different ideas and opinions, but when Abbott reintroduced titles, well really.

      Delete