Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check the blogs of River, Elephant Child and Jackie for their Sunday Selections.

This is a new sculpture at North Wharf. I rather like it but it also does something. You peer into eyehole and crank the handle. Inside a boring picture of an old building is illuminated. Also as you crank a light comes on at the base of the top part. Visually, good, operationally interesting, no.


One of Melbourne's many gold rush boom Victorian buildings that the developers did not get their hands on.



Emporium has finally opened in Melbourne, partly where the demolished Lonsdale House was. It was busy, with a very long queue to get into the new to us Japanese store Uniqlo. We were quite impressed with Emporium.



Can you feel sad when looking at smiling sunflowers?


A visitor. I couldn't work out where I took it.


But this makes it clear it was on our balcony.


I think this is in Little Collins Street. It looks quite old and it is an unusual stone for Melbourne. By its plainess, I suggest it is early Victorian.


Pop art in a shop entrance in Flinders Street.


Another crash down below. It seems to be between a van and a motorcyclist. It took the paramedics quite some time to get him ready for the ambulance trip to hospital.


We were queuing for a short time to enter Melbourne's new H&M store. It is very good and the clothes are not expensive. My only criticism is that the in store music is too loud.  The vaulted ceiling of what was Melbourne's GPO. It is a long time since it was a post office. Now the post office in QV has closed, as has the main city one on the corner of Little Bourke Street. A new one has opened in Emporium, but we did not see it.


A bit of kitsch in Royal Arcade, the waving Queens and Pope.


18 comments:

  1. Andrew, The Queen Elizabeth II looks very nice.Wow Emporium is an amazing I have never seen that building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is an amazing new building within mostly an old skin.

      Delete
  2. Another really varied Sunday Selections. With some I love, and some that make me shudder. Waving queens and Pope? Not for me. Ditto the accident.
    Love the interesting angles on the Emporium and that vaulted ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the waving queen made me laugh as it was truly so awful.

      Delete
  3. Love that ceiling, vaulted ones give a feeling of space and air.
    Not sure about the sculpture on the wharf looks like something that fell out of the sky.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, the sculpture then made you think? Maybe that is the role of public art.

      Delete
  4. How very civilised. Melbourne has H&M now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Michael, it is already established in Singapore then. Brag brag.

      Delete
  5. I had not been to Emporium yet so thanks for showing me my first shots. Looks nice.

    The sculpture at North Wharf is interesting. A colleague last night was telling me about a new sculpture at our uni consisting of projectors projecting images onto a wall through magnifying lenses. A student looked through one of the lenses and suffered some minor eye damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, how awful about the damaged eye. Did the sun shine through the magnifying glass and make a hot spot?

      Delete
  6. I love those old buildings and especially the vaulted ceiling in what is now H&M. What does H&M stand for? and what type of things are sold in there besides clothes? I ask because there is talk of a possible H&M store here. Love the pop art!! The sculpture? Odd looking thing, but I like the shiny metals in different colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have no idea what H&M stands for and I am not inclined to find out. It is a Swedish company and has some homewares, but mainly clothes.

      Delete
  7. I like that Little Collins St building, plain but effective. I must get into the city and check out the Emporium for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the building looks pretty old to me. Wait until things quieten down at Emporium, and H&M.

      Delete
    2. ooh yes, I used to love H&M when I was in the UK. Will be interesting to see what they have. It stands for Hennes & Mauritz btw.

      Delete
  8. thank you Fenstar, I'll google that name now and see what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. Lots of things I'd love to see. And oh how I love that kitsch! Imagine a side table filled with waving Popes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Mitchell. I will simply not imagine waving popes.

      Delete