Sunday, April 06, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check for River's, Elephant Child's and Jackie's Sunday Selections.

I like seeing the outline of old buildings on newer buildings. Extra good if there is the outline of a chimney. Strange, the site has been like this for awhile and I had not noticed.


Our friend in Japan gave us this plant years ago. When we moved from our house, we gave it to a friend. At some point we decided we would like back and he happily returned it. It needs little water and thrives in the heat.


Not so this ornamental chilli. R bought it for $8 instead of a bunch of flowers. It lasted a little longer than a bunch of flowers, but not much. It is so rootbound, the pot cannot retain any water.


A Crepe Myrtle at an office building nearby. I am not so keen on the colour of the flowers, but the tree is a good shape.


The camera did not do a bad job capturing these balloons at a distance against the rising sun.

 

Come quickly, R shouted as a balloon drifted past the Highrise at a distance of a few metres away. I was too slow, but it wasn't far away when I snapped.


The RAAF wastes money by flying The Roulettes over the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.



The RAAF wasting even more money by flying an F18 over the Grand Prix, although it is ever so loud and exciting.





An outrage has been perpetrated at So Cross Station, perhaps better known as Southern Cross Station, even better known as Spencer Street Station. What is down the back from these nasty track suit pants and shapeless tops that clearly will not contain a decent set of bosoms.



It is terribly difficult to photograph.  I found from my reading that there used to be a viewing platform. I managed to stick the lens of my camera through the arm hole of a brassier and catch a little of the scene.



I shoved aside a rack of jockstraps and got the end of it. Half of it is one shop and the other half in another. Its relegation is an absolute disgrace. The mural was unveiled in 1978 after five years of work by the artist. It was in storage for a year or so while redevelopment of the station was underway and after a good clean was resited in 2007 with a viewing platform reached by stairs or a lift.

All that is gone now. It is stuck down the back of a couple of shops and very hard to see as an overall work. It is a shameful way to treat such art. I understand it belongs to the State Government and it is the responsible authority.

27 comments:

  1. Hiss and spit on burying the mural.
    Love the balloons. The RAAF fly-byes? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is a real shame. I hope it can be rectified in the future.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, your Japanese plant is very beatiful. I love baloons. In my country in May Ballonn's Championships take place so during the first weekend of May I am watching them. I hope this year will take some interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes I remember you saying about your balloon festival. Lots of photos please.

      Delete
  3. That's a disgrace to hide the mural. I think you need to start a campaign to give it back its rightful place in public otherwise someone might have a nasty accident straining to see it amongst the bra and jock straps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I think there may be some quiet behind the scenes pressure happening. Me mentioning the matter will do no harm to the cause.

      Delete
  4. Lots of things to look at there.
    How many times have you repotted a plant that you have just bought and found it pot bound it happens a lot.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes back in the days when we had gardens, too often.

      Delete
  5. Hi Andrew, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. Welcome. Reader of John of Wales? I will add your blog to my reader

      Delete
  6. An outrage indeed, a shameful way to treat such a great mural. I'm glad you showed it to us.
    About the chilli; submerge the pot in a bucket of water and allow it to soak until no more air bubbles rise, about two hours or so, then drain it over your sink or bath, remove it from the pot, tease out the roots or just trim a half inch all around the root ball, and repot into fresh mix in a bigger pot.
    I have a kitten....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I visited your blog - little Angel looks gorgeous! I'd love a kitten/cat but I travel too often; it wouldn't be fair...

      Delete
    2. River, we could do that and save it, but they don't last that long anyway and as it was the price of a bunch of flowers and lasted twice as long, well, the truth is it went down the rubbish chute. Kitten....

      Wombat, I am not up to speed with River's kitten. I will go there shortly.

      Delete
  7. I believe that first plant is a crown of thorns bush. I could be wrong....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have been told the name, but I can't remember it. It wasn't crown of thorns that I heard, but it could be its common name. It is certainly spiky.

      Delete
  8. I vaguely remember seeing that mural some years ago. It's a real shame it's been hidden away.

    Did I tell you I'd bought one of those plants for myself? I kept it in over winter and managed to keep it alive. Once the weather warms up, I'll put it out on the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, you should have just taken a cutting from ours. Oh, that is not allowed. I water it a bit more often now and it seems to like that. About once a week.

      Delete
  9. Agree that the desecration of the mural is disgraceful. I remember seeing it in the '70s and '80s in all its glory. On another subject we bought a chilli plant from Coles a few weeks back for $12 (are we getting ripped off here in the far outer western suburbs?) and it started to thrive once we took it out of its pot, thumped the root cluster a few times and repotted it with some good quality compost and a large drizzle of 'seaweed' or similar. Thing is, if you check the label and correlate that with a Google search you don't know if the fruit is edible (it is, we've tried it but it's bl**dy hot) or poisonous. I refrained from trying it but as the family's still around I guess it's not that poisonous! Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I thought the clue was in it being called an ornamental chilli. That is, not for eating. Yes, we could have repotted it and it may have thrived, but I guess we judged it as a short time diversion, not for longer than a bunch of flowers. Repotting in a Highrise is difficult. We have done it, but it not like having a garden to do it in.

      Delete
    2. If yours was called 'ornamental' then fair enough;. ours wasn't but, all things considered, maybe it should have been. My son has tried all things spicy so I'll ask his opinion when he next visits.

      Delete
    3. Chris, I am interested to know more. A little bit of me dies every time we chuck a plant down the rubbish chute.

      Delete
  10. Wow I'd forgotten all about that mural. Remember seeing it at the old Spencer Street station many years ago. I have very few reasons to ever go near Southern Cross Station these days but I'm disappointed the mural has been relegated in the new complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TVAU, I had seen it years ago, but I can't really remember where it was. It is shameful treatment of such a great piece of work. It is a long way from the train business part of the station.

      Delete
  11. Goodness me I embiggened the mural to see it in more detail, I can see why you were so attracted to it Andrew, so many wonderful old trains and other modes of travel. It really should be treated with a bit more respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is something to look at for quite some time, but how can you among ladies bloomers and men's Y fronts.

      Delete
  12. When I was working near SoCro a while ago, I did make something of an effort to locate the new location of the mural, but never succeeded. Thanks to you, I now realise it's behind Mrs Slocombe's department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Slocombe's, haha. Yes,as far north in the shops as you can go.

      Delete