Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Our last visit to The Bellarine

It was hard to believe it was a year since we had been to Sister's place, the last time with R's sister and brother in law when we stayed in a cabin in the caravan park. But there is photographic evidence of new things at Sister's and Bone Doctor's place.

We took an afternoon walk at Point Lonsdale Beach. This is looking towards the village and the lighthouse. Behind the lighthouse is the open water of Bass Strait with the calmer water this side being Port Phillip Bay.


'The Heads' names the narrow opening to Port Phillip Bay. On this western side is Point Lonsdale and on the eastern far side is Point Nepean. This photo is looking towards Queenscliff from Point Lonsdale.


No R, we shall not buy an apartment here overlooking the water. I simply will not live above a shop.


Sister has a new side and rear fence.


The side fence is tall enough to give them privacy when rinsing sand off using their new outdoor shower.


Year before last, 40 degrees and we were minding Little Jo while they were doing some sporting thing. The air con wouldn't work.  They have finally replaced it. It certainly won't wear out from overuse.


This is new too. They encourage Little Jo in all ways to take up sport, but she is not so interested. She does not take after either mother.


 New water storage tanks too.


Lunch at Dunes, Ocean Grove, looking out of the panoramic cafe windows at the surf school underway. I took this outside the cafe.


The bridge from Ocean Grove to Barwon Heads taken from The Bluff, with the caravan park below. Do you know your Seachange history?

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful spot. I miss the ocean, and need to find a way to get to it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, a lake is not a great substitute.

      Delete
  2. If I was visiting there I'd be looking for Sigrid Thornton and David Wenham around every corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, not there, but I have seen Sigrid around the traps.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a lovely spot to live. I love the idea of an outdoor shower for getting the sand off. I'd have one for sure if I lived near the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the outdoor shower is a good idea. I suppose they could wash the dog with it too.

      Delete
  4. Love the ocean. I have to make more of an effort to explore the Victorian coastline. I seem to know the NSW coast a lot better despite having lived in Victoria now for 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I knew little of the Bellarine Peninsula before Sister moved there, but I like it very much. Mind, south coast of NSW is very nice. I've not seen north really.

      Delete
  5. Spouse and I have had more arguments about living in a house facing the ocean than we have had about money, child rearing, in laws and toilet seats in total. I want to move; he wants to stay where we are.

    The flat with the open veranda overlooking the water (photographed above) looks fantastic. I would live above a shop in a heart beat, if it got me my ocean view. Although not over a pub or brothel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is a hard decision. A bit of that happens here too. Actually, I wouldn't mind the flat above the shops really. The views are good and every ship that enters or leaves the bay passes close by.

      Delete
    2. You'd have to take into consideration the size of the flat; is there enough space to get away from each other when necessary? Also would there be noise transfer from the shop below? Or smells if it is a cafe/restaurant?

      Delete
    3. River, all good points. Point Lonsdale would have to be the quietest sea side town in Victoria, so I doubt noise would be an issue.

      Delete
  6. Now you've given me an idea for a day out - down the bay, take the ferry and come up the other side. If there aren't any road works that is!

    Oh and the bank staff are getting worse - had to ask for an envelope for the cash yesterday (several thou.). So it was out of sight in my handbag And yes that's the lady - come back Jon Faine please. It's awful in the summer break when both he and Red are away lol
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, we have made the trip both ways and it is very nice. Explore Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale, Barwon Heads, Port Arlington and St Leonards as well. Better stay a night. Our experience in a cabin at the Marcus Hill caravan park was good.

      Delete
  7. Sigh... so lovely around there, and your sister seems to have a nice setup too. Outdoor showers are genius at houses near beaches! Ideal for washing sand off feet on the way in from the beach, and on hot days also standing under for a quick spray while wearing your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, it is a very nice part of our state. I did check that the hot water was connected to the outdoor shower. Yes, great idea.

      Delete