Monday, April 07, 2014

Mother News

Sunday before the one just past, Mother had her second Sunday 80th birthday celebration with late Step Father's family who all hail from a very extended area of Geelong. Sister and Step Father's daughter got their heads together and arranged a picnic in the Geelong Botanical Gardens. As it was the week before when we went to the Cuckoo, Mother got herself into a state of nervous panic, and the week before to the point it was infectious and we all thought it would go so wrong, but it didn't and we had a wonderful time. And so it was the same for her second birthday celebration.

Step Father's family treated Mother like royalty, not as someone to be tolerated like her own children do, and some thirty people turned up. There was some cash in envelopes, which made Mother extra happy. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo organised it, along with Step Father's daughter. I was working and R would not go without me as he doesn't know that side of the family, well I don't either really. ABI Brother took Mother, so there was some family representation.

Mother had a fantastic time with family most of whom she had not seen since Step Father died some four years ago. There is clearly a strong connection with them. She did not put a foot wrong and remembered all their names and their family member's names. My eyes glaze over. I can't remember many of them. R has been dispatched to buy a pad of thank you notes for Mother to write to send to all who attended.  She was asleep by 9 that night and did not wake until after 10 the next morning. Nothing like an older person actually doing something to make them sleep without drugs.

Maybe I can slip this photo in without my blog being discovered by family. Mother always starts off with full make up, but it quickly vanishes. The day of Mother's birthday and the birth of her first grand child did not co-incide, but the dates are close. While nothing has changed and she still moans on, even she would say she had a great 80th birthday over two weekends.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely photo Andrew, I see where you get your good looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err, Victor. I take after my father, without his looks.

      Delete
  2. Is that your mother?
    She certainly doesn't look eighty!
    It's nice that she was able to remember all those names AND have a good night's sleep after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, she is extremely good at such things as names and details, which is surprising because at times she never shuts up.

      Delete
  3. I would love to look that good at seventy - never mind eighty. And it is a charming photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, sometimes I think I may die before she does.

      Delete
  4. That's a great photo. You can see the real joy in her face. I would never have guessed her age or even come close to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, from as long as I can remember, she has plastered Oil of Olay over her face. I am sceptical about such things, but maybe there is something in it.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, you mum looks great. She is in a good shape. Wonderful and positive woman. In my point of view.You should be proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I love my mum, but she is very manipulative and inflexible at times.

      Delete
  6. Well, I hope I bet to celebrate a birthday "month" when I turn 80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will Mitchell.

      Delete
  7. She looks so delightful and I love her smile. I hope she gets to read this blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no Keith. Seeing this post will lead to her seeing other posts about her and they are not all complimentary. Family not reading my blog gives me the luxury of writing a little more frankly than I otherwise would.

      Delete
  8. Your mother seems to exasperate you at times, Andrew. It's a great photo, and I'm chuffed to hear everything went off well - twice, even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does exasperate us at times FC, but she always has. Yes, two successful events.

      Delete
  9. Haha! You would be in big trouble if that happened Andrew.. So she never reads your blog ? Glad she's had multiple b/d celebrations, is that IT now, or more to come. ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that's a wrap up of Mother's 80th. No family read my blog and only one pre blog friend.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Andrew's Mum. She doesn't look her age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, everyone keeps telling her that, so she is pretty pleased with herself and the 'I may as well be dead' has not been heard as often.

      Delete