Thursday, April 24, 2014

How a take away pizza went so wrong

I am truly in the dog house. At dinner out with companions last night, I blurted out that on Easter Saturday night after returning from Sister's, we ordered a delivered pizza. As our usual place across the street was closed for the duration of Easter, we ordered from Pizza Hut online. The pizza was ok, but it was quite expensive. Pizza Hut added a public holiday surcharge which I noted as being inappropriate as the Saturday of Easter is not a public holiday.

I mentioned that at dinner last night, a dinner where older people get together and complain about stuffs and tell each other about bargains they have managed to get.

I totally forgot that R told our friend that we would not be available to visit for a curry for dinner when he asked for that night, as Sister was making dinner  for us. Sister bashed off to local football, and left some a pasta sauce and garlic bread for Mother, ABI Brother and Little Jo. We were home for dinner and very tired, hence the ordered pizza.

R is a kinder person than I am. I will just say no. R will come up with reasons and excuses why we can't go to someone's place for dinner and I was tired after driving for umpteen hours that day. I just say no, if something doesn't fit in with work or life.

But, as far as our friend knew, Sister cooked us dinner that night, until I blurted out that we paid public holiday surcharge on a delivered pizza the same night. I just forgot about the lie of Sister cooking us dinner. I pointed out that I am tired of making excuses and we should just say no when we don't feel like it or up to it. Nevertheless, it is all my fault and I am in the metaphorical dog kennel for a day or so for exposing R as a fibber.

Even at my old age, I have decided that will no longer tolerate giving excuses for not doing things. I will speak honestly and just say no when there is a dinner invitation that I don't want to go to. 2014 will be the year of honesty. Our friend likes lots of company and invites us often. We are not quite so social for visiting people for a home made curry.

As you can see, I am completely right, and R is terribly wrong, but you won't hear his side of the story on my blog. 

18 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:

    We really do believe that we have reached an age where we no longer have to do anything we do not want. But sometimes it is kinder to decline an invitation with a social lie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. We make no judgement, moral or otherwise, here!

      Delete
    2. Well JayLa, social lies, fibs, white lies, have worked well in the past for us but there are some invitations you just have to turn down when you know you it will be too hard or you are too tired. Haha, jetlag will be no excuse.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Andrew and in the last year or so have started just saying no thank you, but I've found people get offended or if you tell them you're too tired then they try and talk you into it. Relationships are complicated things and people get hurt feelings when told no, not today but I have gotten to where I expect more from people. Like understanding. I don't take offense when they tell me no but I do get hurt feelings a bit but then get over it cause I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I am inclined to think it is better to either do things with good grace or don't do them. I wouldn't like people to do things they don't want to just to please me. It's always a difficult call.

      Delete
  3. One thing about getting older is that I'm more inclined to just say no to friends with no excuses just I don't feel like it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, and I am sure you do it very kindly.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had your courage. We tend to the polite excuses thing, and I am not comfortable with it. What do you do when people invite themselves to your place at an inconvenient time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think that is where I would fall down, if people rang to say they wanted to visit and you have no legitimate excuse.

      Delete
  5. You could have saved the lie by further stating that you had forgotten sister was cooking and ordered the pizza online before leaving work.
    too late now. But I agree that a simple no when something doesn't suit is the best way to go. Is it the company you didn't want or the curry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we were at Sister's for the day, a drive of an hour and half to home, plus another couple of hours of driving while seeing some sights. We were just too tired to go out for a meal, a twenty minute drive to our friends and then the return trip home. We knew we would be so I am not sure why the need for an advance excuse was necessary. We will be too tired would be enough.

      Delete
  6. So not fair that R doesn't have a forum to express his opinion Andrew :) Must say though that I decided a few years ago that if I didn't want to do something I would say so, it only makes you resentful when you don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you would not want to hear his vitriol. 95% of the time he is the most wonderful and kind person but at times something goes wrong.

      Yes, don't do things if you are going to feel resentful. I try not to.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Isn't it a horrible feeling as well when you realise you've been caught out? I guess you can then just tell the truth "we were too tired but didn't want to offend you". The tangled webs we weave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I am not sure that he even picked up what I said and worked out the day. I made a mistake, but it was all quite a silly thing.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps a bit late now, but I think you're confusing the Saturday and the Sunday of Easter.

    Easter Saturday is definitely a public holiday, being the only public holiday of the year that is declared for a weekend day. In Victoria though, Easter Sunday is not a public holiday though - causing much grief to those who work for penalty rates, because there's no benefit compared to working on any other Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. To my surprise, I learnt about Saturday being a public holiday myself at my own workplace.

      Delete