Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Exposed again

I never thought High Street, Armadale would be a such a source for old signs, but back here we had the Cadbury Bournville Cocoa sign exposed when a building was demolished and now after another demolition nearby at number 1200, more old signs are exposed.

High Street is predominantly cafes, frock shops, galleries and antique shops. In the past it was much more of a useful local shopping centre, with grocers, fishmongers, butchers, green grocers and other shops for local residents. 

The cocoa sign has now disappeared, never to be seen again in my lifetime, and I had to be quick to get a photo of this new one as no sooner had the awful old fifties double storey building been demolished, up went the scaffolding.

This one is a double bunger, with one sign painted over another but the top one must have been poor quality paint and the old one still shows strongly through. The original was for Butter Menthols, 3d (pence) pkt, soothes the throat, with Persil (washing powder) for a brilliant wash, over the top of the Butter Menthols.

It will be a worth addition to Our Fading Past, Melbourne's history in old signs Use the google map link at OFP if you wish to see all the signs.


On the opposite side of the site are more signs but the only one I can make out is Dunlop, the rubber tyre company.


18 comments:

  1. Some of the old signs have a LOT of charm. And Butter Menthols are still going strong - though the price has changed a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while I don't know, a packet could well be $3 now.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, old signs are part of our history so they are very important for next generations. Our national heritage. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, that is why I think it is important to photograph them before they get covered up or just wear away.

      Delete
  3. Faded grandeur for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can equate with that John.

      Delete
  4. The extension to Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art incorporated the external wall of an old building as an interior wall feature in the extension to great effect.

    It would be good if something similar could be achieved with some of the examples you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, that would be a very nice idea. I suppose the stars would have to align though. We have to remember they were never meant to be permanent.

      Delete
  5. I do like the old signs but they need to be repaired and repainted from time to time.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Merle. It is an art form as legitimate as any other we struggle hard to preserve.

      The only trouble is that I still refer to soap powder as Persil and sticky tape as Durux, decades after those companies went out of business.

      Delete
    2. Merle and Hels, I am not sure I agree. I like that they slowly fade away until there is just a teasing trace. New signs going up now will be the old signs of the future.

      Hels, Persil, the soap powder of your childhood. We used to call sticky tape Durex, but when we became aware of Durex condoms, we dropped the name. I think my mother still calls it Durex. R used to call it Scotch Tape.

      Delete
  6. I've bookmarked the OFP site to have a good look around later, I love seeing old signs. I remember Persil washing powder, it was around the same time as Rinso and Surf. Surf survived the ages but Persil disappeared, I haven't seen Rinso for a long while either. They've all been replaced by enzyme action this and bio action that...and the "green" ones safe for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I expect Lever and Kitchen are still behind most of them. I like the chemicals for my washing, not wishy washy green stuff.

      Delete
    2. the wishy washy green stuff, especially if washing in cold water, tends to eventually leave every item a similar shade of nasty grey. I like my white things white, so I use regular washing powder and hot water.

      Delete
    3. I haven't really used the green stuff for washing, as I know what will happen, just as you say.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love ghost signs Andrew, they tell such a story about times past.. I like your idea of recording them before they disappear forever, I think I may have to start doing the same thing here in Perth, merci beaucoup for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, indeed who better than your good self to preserve some history by photograph. I just took a quick look and I believe some have been posted to the Face Book group Lost Perth.

    ReplyDelete