Thursday, April 17, 2014

Digital Reception

For some reason our digital radio signal has been breaking up when we are in the kitchen. Is it because we stacked on a kilo or two and we are blocking the signal? Well, it seems our bodies do block the signal, but after two years of perfect reception, I wanted to know why and went to the ABC digital reception site and followed through its process of suggestions to no avail. I am fairly convinced that something is wrong at the ABC end, but not according to the ABC techies who replied very promptly. Atmospherics indeed. The point is it used to work but no longer does.

I checked the predictive coverage maps and your location is in what is called the "Rural" coverage area - http://www.abc.net.au/reception/radio/dr_coveragemaps.htm. It goes on to say -" Difficult reception indoors. Possible outdoor or in car reception. This area provides coverage highly dependent on geographic location. Good reception may be had in high locations on radios with external antennas. In some cases an external antennas and boosters maybe required on the fringe".



If you were receiving good reception up until fairly recently this may be due to atmospherics and may return to how it was before.



As mentioned above an external antenna may help improve the reception.

Here is where it used to sit. The corner was a perfect spot in the kitchen arrangement.


 
With the radio on top of the refrigerator, we have perfect reception. We just don't like it sitting there. However, we have both recognised that as well as now having perfect reception, it it much clearer to listen to without turning it up too much, especially in the lounge room . I still wonder what changed that spoilt our reception.

18 comments:

  1. Building work somewhere blocking the reception? Weather?
    Good luck - I hope it returns to its previous clarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is better now the radio is on the fridge. I have puzzled over building work and come up with nothing.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I hope so your reception would be perfect now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fine now Gosia.

      Delete
  3. I've noticed that occasionally, very occasionally indeed, there is a tiny repetition of sound from my digital radios. For example there is an immediate repeat of a spoken word as though the speaker had stuttered. As I say it happens only rarely but as it happens on different models of radio which I have broadcasting simultaneously in different rooms I assumed it is a signal or program issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, same here, only noticed on my pocket digital radio.

      Delete
  4. I blame the NSW conservatives. Not only do their state ministers take gifts from big business without reporting it; they also take resources away from the neighbouring states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully topical Hels.

      Delete
  5. Not had a lot of trouble but mine is in the front bedroom which I use as a hobby, painting and sewing room but my kitchen or loungeroom very poor reception, not sure why as the television reception is very good there.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I suppose the tv and radio signals come from a different place. I know where our tv signal comes from but not a clue about digital radio.

      Delete
  6. I find some days, my digital radio cannot hold a signal very well, despite me not having moved it or myself that much. Very odd. Drives me nuts though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could well just be weather Fen. Ours has never been variable.

      Delete
  7. I haven't gone digital with radio, my old radio works just fine so no need to change it. I did have very poor reception for my TV when I switched to digital and had to get an outdoor antenna installed on the roof. He looked inside the roof cavity and told me the roof was lined with aluminium flashing and that was blocking the digital signal. So is there any aluminium nearby that could be blocking your signal? New construction anywhere as EC said? It looks okay on top of the fridge anyway. You have a lot of wires in the corner where it used to be, why not clip them all together into one with a cable tie or two to neaten it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, as I have said in earlier comment, I can't think of anything that has changed. The phone wires used to be hidden by the radio and they do need to be neatened up. A work in progress.

      Delete
  8. I live awfully close to the centre of Sydney, but on the "wrong side of the hill" and so now use an outdoor antenna. I'd suggest a strongly worded email to your federal member of parliament, because, at the moment, the future of digital radio expansion lies with the federal government and in particular, the Minister for Communications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, it is rubbish that you don't receive digital radio reception. Clearly the Member of Wentworth doesn't have a clue about technology. How can your lack of reception be otherwise explained?

      Delete
    2. Hopefully things will improve. I think part of the problem is the DAB+ transmitters are on the northside (like the television transmitters). A bit of Kings Cross in-fill, like I have with TV would help. BTW - I'm in Tanya's not Malcolm's electorate.

      Delete
    3. James, for accuracy I did check where I thought you roughly lived, but I was not quite right. I assume you mean future PM Tanya. I'll have another look at electoral boundaries now.

      Back, yes it is clear now. Two quite safe seats next to each other, but opposing politics. So very Sydney.

      Delete