Saturday, April 12, 2014

A laugh and dinner

Only $20 a ticket, plus $6 booking fee which is so annoying, we decided to see a Comedy Festival performance. As a long time listener to Tommy Dassalo's podcast, Little Dum Dum Club, I thought we might see him live, so we did. It was in a very tiny room at ACMI called the Games Room and consisted of tiered benches, most uncomfortable. There were about twenty people there on a Tuesday night and the performance was good, but I am inclined to enjoy two performers with a good rapport. One comedian on stage, with a small audience and being funny for an hour is quite a challenge, but Dassalo succeeded.

We had dinner at the venerable hotel Young and Jacksons and finished off with a drink at the rooftop cider bar where we had a chat to a pleasant young Irish lad who was either just being friendly or he may have thought two older gay men might buy him a drink. We didn't.

We were home by nine and while it is an effort to go to things at times, we are pleased we did.

12 comments:

  1. For the years that I worked in the City (until 1990), Young and Jackson's was the local. Loved it!

    Is Chloe still showing her naked loveliness on the wall? When they first put that painting up, she looked wayyyy too young. So the artist had to repaint her hips and boobs, to make sure she looked old enough to root legally.

    Ah the things we remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I thought I knew all about Chloe, but I did not know of her being repainted to be older. We glimpsed her as we climbed the stairs to the Cider Bar.

      Delete
  2. I spent the afternoon today seeing a show myself. Mrs Brown's Boys at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. I bought the ticket last year and almost forgot to go.
    Tiered seats do sound uncomfortable, perhaps next time use your folded jacket as a cushion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it was pretty warm, so we did not take jackets. Mother loathes Mrs Brown, but her best friend loves her. They squabble about her. I don't make a point of watching her, but she is funny when I see her.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, low key, but yes, a nice night.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, it's very nice you have had a great time and it means you are well-organized person going out during weekdays it's a challlenge for me because I usually have to do a lot of things for the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it was my day off. I would struggle to do it on a working day.

      Delete
  5. How nice that you were rewarded for the effort of going out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I felt less like an old man, I must say.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any shows yet, but hopefully will catch some this week. Not sure who to see though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I listened to a podcast today recorded at festival, Steele Saunders, with Wil Anderson and Dave Hughes. It was brill.

      Delete