Sunday, March 09, 2014

Suday Selections

I am getting low on photos now for Sunday Selections. Too much working. Check what River, Elephant's Child and Jackie have posted for the week.

Funny old frame with a modern poster at Flinders Street Station. Normally I like such old things to be kept, but it just looks shabby. There are a couple of them. I wonder if Australian National Travel Association is still around.

It seems the ANTA is no longer around, but I have just worked out what they used to hold. A poster like this example.


 Third world problem, no lavatory.


I have quite a number of tools, but it is rare now that I need more than what is here in these two boxes.


These are great for fixing spectacles and for use on small screws such as remote controls. They came from the Two Dollar Shop, and guess how much they cost? You are all so clever to get the answer correct.


No not a new style of parking in St Kilda Road, but a crash.


We had a few days of warm humid weather and condensation was pouring out from the air conditioner. Rather than just drip from the balcony, the heating element evaporates the water away. I bet it costs a bit to run though. The water must reach a certain height in the tray before it switches on.


Before we tinted The Highrise windows, the reflected light in the late afternoon could be blinding and we would have to close the blinds. Now we only close the blinds against the direct sunlight in the morning.


Don't know why I took this photo of my bedroom and set it aside for posting.


Marina is not a ship I recall visiting us before.


The pumpkins outside Melbourne Town Hall have disappeared a couple of times and have been replaced. R took these with his phone and did quite a good job.



Why? I don't know.


19 comments:

  1. Wow a new way of cycling typically Aus, I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes we Aussies do strange things with cycles.

      Delete
  2. Love the view from your bedroom - thanks. I think I would spend a lot of time lying on the bed and dreaming. That last photo: Cyclists take you higher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I don't lie on the bed really, but I like sitting up in bed in the mornings and looking at the bay out the window.

      Delete
  3. I'm very fond of pumpkin, I might pinch one if I was coming home after a few drinks, trouble is I very rarely drink these days.
    Great views from your place.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it occurred to me that might have happened to the pumpkins, but then the person would say, this too heavy and I am sick of carrying it.

      Delete
  4. I see from your bedroom you are in an Asian phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transferred from the old house, and the one before that Victor. It is a long phase.

      Delete
  5. I like the train poster but I'm still trying to figure out what the "Give a crap" thing is about. Since I've gotten a new dog, I've begun to take an interest in just how much of the sidewalks and edges of buildings are covered in urine. Between the dogs and the homeless... Well let's just say it leaves a bit to be desired. Meanwhile two blocks over at the park and the plushiest condos, everything looks all squeaky clean in spite of the same problems. Could be they wash their sidewalks down I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, give a crap is something about poverty and people not having any toilet facilities.

      I only really notice that sort of thing if it smells, and at times it does. Our cleaner would clean up any such marking of our building, if he noticed it. I caught someone about to piss near our building's doorway. 'Not here mate, and you are on camera'. Two doors along a well known footballer did the same thing at a police station, and was caught.

      Delete
  6. The bicycle on the wall might be something to do with art. Or should I say Art. The pumpkins have me thinking of roast dinners.
    I like the gecko on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the bike was above a bar, so yes art to attract people.

      The geckos are quite thin tin. Should one fall, it will probably slice through my neck as I am sleeping.

      Delete
    2. Andrew you never fail to make me laugh out loud at around midnight in Perth :) NOT that that would be funny at all and hopefully it never happens :)

      Delete
    3. Grace, it would be one of the more notable ways to die. I should get a line in a newspaper.

      Delete
  7. That's a very eclectic set of photos. I love the posters, and the "who gives a crap" window display. What's that all about?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, see above for info about who gives a crap. I love old travel posters. Especially if they have trains on them.

      Delete
  8. Does the condensation tray under your air con work well? One recently caught fire in my apartment block so we have been told by body corp to make sure to clean out any leaves that gather in the tray. I don't have to worry...Mine broke within months after I moved in (and 'merely' have to deal with the problem of dripping water from my balcony in the winter.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it works very well. The original fitted air con units in the building had pumps to pump the water back to the building core's drainage. They did not work well, I understand. If I see a leaf in the tray, I remove it, but a build up of rotting leaves hasn't been an issue. Of course we are above tree level, so don't get many leaves.

      Delete
  9. Great photos! And a great way to store a bicycle when you live in a small apartment...

    ReplyDelete