Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Speling

The English Daily Telegraph reported on the most misspelt words. I have some sympathy.

1/ separate, not seperate as I have at times spelt it. I know it now.
2/ definitely, the second i and e float around this word and they have for me.
3/ manoeuvre, I have seen different spellings for this word. I can never write it without checking.
4/ embarrass, yes, I have gotten this wrong too, but I have learnt it.
5/ occurrence, yes, while I do know how to spell it, I have in the past got it wrong.
6/ consensus, easy word to spell, what's the issue?
7/ unnecessary, maybe a decade ago I realised I could not spell the word and learnt it, the hard way.
8/ acceptable, I don't think I have a problem with this one.
9/ broccoli, how are we expected to spell foreign words? But I can this one without a problem.
10/ referred, how many r's, how many f's. I expect I have gone wrong with it at times.

Some of the other words in the list are:

bureaucracy, that is a hard one and I have to check it

connoisseur, another hard one I would struggle with it if I had cause to use it

particularly, no problem for me.

questionnaire, two n's or one? I think I am ok with that one.

entrepreneur, I just know I would get this one wrong.

parallel, I had to learn this for work, many years ago.

How do you go with them?


20 comments:

  1. I was an editor for years, so do just fine with these. But I always find, when I don't know how to spell a word (and spell check is not available), I just use a different word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lateral thinking Mitchell. I've been known to use a different word when I can't get the grammar correct.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, spelling is not an easy task .As a teacher I have had a lot of problems with it because my students can use British English and American one amnd both are acceptable. So every time when I correct their homework
    I have to check spelling in dictionaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the different spellings cause a lot of trouble here too. Most English spell checkers default to American English, but I was brought up with British English.

      Delete
  3. Mostly I am ok with these - but every now and then I will have a complete block. And revert to alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, another that goes for alternatives.

      Delete
  4. I know the proper way to spell referred, occurrence and focused, but spelling is changing so rapidly that I know longer trust my own judgement. I check my handy little Oxford every time I type those three words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I just type them into google, but that is not perfect because other people type them into google with a mistake and it can initially show.

      Delete
  5. I used to always have a hard time with bureaucracy until I thought of it as bureau and then cracy on the end.
    Also maneuver. You have it here as manoeuvre, but you could be right for all I know. And connoisseur - I still don't know how to spell it and probably never will since I never use it. So I just continue to blame my bad spelling on typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maneuver is American, manoeuvre is British. So both are correct.

      Delete
    2. River, no wonder I can never spell it.

      Delete
    3. Rubye, little things like that area great help, as long as you can remember them. I won't forget how to spell bureaucracy now.

      Delete
  6. I would be hopeless and get them all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Diane? I thought you were a quite good speller.

      Delete
  7. I definitely have trouble with a lot of these. Thank goodness for spell check!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, the trouble is we don't seem to learn how to spell a word when we use spell check.

      Delete
  8. Ditto OE above, spell check is fabulous :) I will always choose neighbour over neighbor or harbour over harbor even though depending on which spell check is operating that red line appears !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I agree spell checkers are great, but I don't like grammar checkers at all.

      Delete
  9. I don't have trouble with many words, if I need to check, my dictionary is always close by, usually I find I am correct. I haven't ever bothered with spell check, it is based on American spelling and I prefer the English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you are a credit to small town schools. I think many of us rely on whether a word looks correct or not.

      Delete