Monday, March 24, 2014

Shame File

This bloke, David Graham, was travelling on bus. He was drunk and horrifically abused a French born student studying in Australia. The You Tube video of the abuse filmed by another passenger on the bus went truly viral, with over four millions hits. Graham has been gaoled, but only for a few weeks. Public shaming is better, and here is the not the so bright exhibit.

 

I can't recall where, it may have been work related, but I have had some interaction with the bloke below. His looks are memorable and he is a nasty piece of work.  I would be very surprised if he was not already well known to police. The slight but ever so clever Marcus Wong got the better of him after Marcus heard him muttering sotto voice some very racist remarks on an Elizabeth Street tram. While it has not gone viral like the afore mentioned situation, Marcus has received some media attention and many hits on You Tube and his blog.


I am racist, and so are you, and don't tell me otherwise. However, in 2014 we know that we cannot racially discriminate. If we want to say things about people from other countries, we keep them to ourselves and among close friends. It rather depends on who says it, but if a friend makes what could be construed as a racist comment, I judge them on their history and their general attitude to people. Not one of my friends or family would be openly racist. They are not into hurting people, for any reason.

Moslem, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, doubters and non believers. European, African, Asian, Middle Eastern, American, or native people, we are all human and come from the one source. We should naturally treat each other politely and with respect.

Not so for this rich prick Jeff Hunter, who carelessly opened the left hand door of his taxi cab into the path of cyclist who hit the door and fortunately was not injured too badly. She had both a helmet and handle bar camera and recorded the incident, including him refusing to give his details after being involved in an accident. Had he have profusely apologised for being in the wrong, which he was, confessed he made a grave mistake and maybe offered her $100 for her distress, his picture would not be here.


What is wrong with people? Why are they not adjusting to the fact that cameras are all around us?

I thought this article published under editorial in the right wing Murdoch paper The Australian was meant to be humorous irony. Yes, I was a bit amused. I followed the link back to the Australian. There is no name attached to the piece, but unbelievably the piece was serious. While I rarely agree with The Australian editorial pieces, I appreciate that they are often sensible, well written and well argued. But lordy, take a look and judge for yourself. Apogee? I know there is such a word, but I don't have a clue what it means and I'm not going to look it up as I shall never use it.

 I've have emboldened some of the more outrageous parts.

THE MENACE OF URBAN CYCLISTS
THE arrogant sense of entitlement in our inner cities is also evident in the ever-growing number of cyclists snaking their way through pedestrians on overcrowded pathways, darting between cars and clogging-up lanes on our congested roadways.
The problem of city cyclists reached their apogee in Melbourne this week when a cyclist was “doored” on busy Collins Street, after a passenger opened a taxi door and a rider crashed into it. Neither the taxi nor its passenger could be deemed at fault because a narrow “bike lane” inhibited the taxi from stopping next to the kerb. The passenger was lucky to avoid serious injury.
What makes this incident even more absurd is that, although the lane was marked by a bicycle symbol, it was not actually a dedicated bicycle lane. Melbourne bike lanes must have signage, fixed to a pole, that shows the start and finish of a lane, as well as clear markings on the road itself. The state’s bicycle operations officer — yes, there is such a position — admits there is confusion for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists. Cyclists, including the one “doored” this week, are using cameras to film such incidents so they can make insurance claims. The Victorian government imposed even tougher on-the-spot fines in 2012 for people who opened car doors in the direct path of cyclists.
For too long, authorities have bowed to the demands of selfish cyclists and their lobby groups. Truth is, our cities are dominated by cars because they are sprawling. We have no equivalent of Amsterdam and should stop pretending we do.

20 comments:

  1. Andrew, to be a tolerant person is not easy. I understand this almost every day at school I explain my students that it doesn't matter which colour of skin you have because we are all human and it' s the most important. But it is not possible to be tolerant in everyday situations, I know it. But we sholud try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Gosia, we must try.

      Delete
  2. Interesting discussion andrew
    And an honest one from yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too honest for my own good at times John.

      Delete
  3. I had seen coverage of David Graham and of the 'gentleman' who doored the cyclist.
    The tattoo trogdolite (wonderful phrase) is new to me, but unfortunately his ilk thrive.
    The editorial? Hiss and spit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great phrase EC. The editorial piece was just silly.

      Delete
  4. My dictionary (my very old dictionary) defines Apogee as "the point in the moon's orbit farthest from the earth".
    My newer Thesaurus has "acme, apex, peak, climax, summit, zenith, capstone, meridian, pinnacle, culmination.
    Now when you use any of those words your mind may fire back with "apogee!"
    I'll read the editorial now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, if you use, then I might, but it seems a pretty pretentious way of saying peak.

      Delete
  5. So all of that could have been avoided if the "gentleman" had looked back before opening the taxi door. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in a taxi.
    I like to think I'm not racist. Certainly there are people I don't like, but it doesn't mean I should dislike everyone else from that particular race. In places I've lived and worked I've come across many different nationalities and I've made friends everywhere. Enemies too, but that's personality clash mostly, or if I've seen someone repeatedly being mean to others, then I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all he had to do River, but the taxi driver should take some responsibility too.

      Yes, we must not judge by group thinking, but judge as individuals.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, I was interested in the bike encounter because I thought the woman on the bike was a pretty aggressive given the circumstances of the crash. Yes, a cyclist is permitted to pass on the left, but there is an obvious risk in traffic like that and taxis especially that a passenger would not really be thinking about it. The person most at fault is the taxi driver, assuming that the passengers had warned him of their intention to get out, as he should have been indicating to alert the rider to the potential hazard of passengers leaving his vehicle (assuming he is actually allowed to stop there to set them down, which maybe he is not).

    The unacceptable comments by the passenger after he was pursued about bicycle riders being disgusting was just the sort of self-justifying defensiveness which you would expect: you will see from the video that he was apologetic at the outset and obviously he too had suffered a bit of a shock in the incident.

    And yes, I know the rider had also suffered a shock, but I got the impression she might be like that anyway: she certainly didn't take a step back, did she, and her opening reference to the camera was not helpful to a reasonable sort of discussion.

    The editorial is just rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I know what you mean. I think she had rehearsed for the occasion. While the driver must take some blame, ultimately it is up to the person opening the door. Why the need to get out on the road anyway?

      Sorry, I have no time for the passenger. He was defensive from the beginning when he was clearly in the wrong. There is always someone else or a circumstance to blame. Never just that I was wrong.

      Delete
  7. cyclist should have anticipated taxi oor opening. that's what always happens when a taxi stops FFS. Her camera-ready ride tells me she has had this before. obviously the incident was just a 'Bermuda Triangle' of belligerence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, it was in Collins Street in the daytime which means it would have pretty well been stop start traffic. Makes it a bit hard to judge when someone is about to jump out of a cab.

      Delete
  8. Tony Abbottoir faces an internal backlash over his plans to repeal the Racial Discrimination Act, because every foreign born, Jewish or Aboriginal member of Parliament, and every other MP with a shred of dignity, will cross the floor to vote against the new legislation. Free speech, my arse :( It will be pro-racism!

    Why doesn't Abbottoir recruit David Graham to be the face of the new advertisements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, politician and dignity? Not sure about that.

      What the Libs plan to do sounds quite disgraceful. While we worry about the attack on workers by the government, these things are such as the Racial Discrimination Act and various others are really concerning.

      Delete
  9. This is one thing I love about you Andrew, your honesty. I don't think of myself as racist by any means but I do have one group I feel prejudiced toward and that is because I simply cannot relate to some of the things they do. However, I normally keep it to myself because there is no need to be mean to others. It usually only makes things worse.
    As for cyclists, it seems part of the attitude against them is due to drivers of cars who think everyone should drive a car and that the streets are only meant for cars. Well, it would make much more sense if only cyclists were allowed on the streets. I think the reasons are obvious. Where I live we have cyclists everywhere and as a walker I am always having to watch for them and I think they all are pretty good, better than the drivers of cars are when it comes to not allowing space for pedestrians.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, we may have racist thoughts, and no one can stop that. What is wrong is to act on them and verbalise them in public.

      Yes, I have also heard Portland is a cycling city. The number here has increased manyfold in the last ten years but there is a lack of separation from cars. I don't have much issue with cyclists, except the occasional one going too fast when riding on the footpath, which they aren't supposed to do anyway.

      Delete
  10. Goodness me what a couple the troglodite & wife are, scary much and not even half a brain to share between them by the sound of it! Cyclists on the road can be pain in the neck when they ride two or more across and there's no room to move out and pass but we should try to remain patient at all cost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troglodite is a good word Grace. I have heard others complain about that, but I've never encountered it when driving.

      Delete