Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sage Technical Advice from the Experts

I can't remember the figure now, but when we bought our first computer it had a large hard drive, large enough as the salesman said, that you could not possibly fill it. It was something like 2gb. Wrong. We now have two hard drives, a total of 2 terrabytes rather than gigabytes. It is adequate, for now.

When we bought our new Hyundai in 2000 it came with a driver airbag. What about the passenger, we asked? Airbags are just a gimmick for US drivers who won't wear seatbelts, stated the salesman. They will be dropped here after a year. Fourteen years later it is nothing for a car to have six airbags.

5gb is a huge download limit. You couldn't possibly need more, we were advised. We now have a limit of 100gb and use about 35gb a month, for the desktop, notebook, tablet and two phones, plus another 250mb for my phone.

If your tv is too big, you won't be able to see the picture properly. We advised the person of the dimensions of our room and he calculated the size. 106cm (42") seemed ok initially but we soon decided it was hard to see properly from the kitchen. The present one is 116cm (46") and again we wished we had bought a bigger one. My rule of thumb is similar to my rule for painting. The painting rule is work out how long painting will take and double it. For a tv, work out what size you want and go one or two sizes bigger. Contrary to what I normally think, things can be too big though (really Andrew?). Friends have a tv that is just too big. It must be over 200cm (80").

While I am talking of tech stuff, last week the mouse started playing up, doing a left click when it was supposed to be a hold down. It is our third cordless keyboard. As with the others, a sender unit sat on the desktop. The two former ones were very unreliable but this one has been good. They all came with installation cds, which I may or may not have used.

This new one has no sender unit with a cord to sit on the desk, just a USB thing to plug into the back of the computer, as we use for the note book. That is all I had to do and it all just worked. Have we finally reached the much promised age of plug and play?

25 comments:

  1. I find it a bit scary how fast too much becomes not enough. In so many aspects of life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC, cast your mind back to the Wind in the Willows. Speed was Toad's thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I never warmed to Toad. Beep, beep.

      Delete
  3. Computers are better and better but we as customers buy more and more so it's the most profitable business here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am not sure here. I think profit margins are quite low for most retails, depending what the product is.

      Delete
  4. It all makes money or it wouldn't be done.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Merle. We pay and pay.

      Delete
  5. TV screens are measured diagonally, so I got out my trusty tape measure to see how 116cm looks against my little 66cm screen. That's enormous! How can you possibly think it isn't big enough? Perhaps you need glasses? Or new glasses if you already have them for viewing...unless you want to lash out and get a movie sized screen. Of course then you'll need a popcorn machine, maybe a little cafe corner, wine bar......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is six metres away from my computer chair and nine metres away from the kitchen. We like to be able to see it properly from both places. A wine bar! Good idea.

      Delete
    2. Nine metres from kitchen to TV? That is more than my whole flat which measures 5.4 metres x 7.20 metres. Within that space I have lounge, kitchen, bedroom and combined shower/laundry/toilet room. The back porch is extra but it is used for storage of things that don't fit inside and the small camping washing line.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is a big room. Our apartment is bigger than our last house, but much easier to clean.

      Delete
  6. I think I read recently that the mouse is on its way out and the next thing is we'll just wave our hands about.

    Should work a treat for gay men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think they will need a gay hand reader for our supposed limp wrists. The large tv I mentioned above can be controlled by hand movements. It is less than successful and the person who set up the actions only has to move around the room for random things to happen.

      Delete
  7. "While I am talking of tech stuff...." *groan*. I am trying to keep up, truly I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you can attach pictures to a blog post a the correct size. That is something surely. We take what we need from technology and leave the rest.

      Delete
  8. Andrew,

    I know this sounds a bit naff, but if a technical problem is too complex, i ring one of my technically skilled grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I wish I had the luxury. It is left to me and my friend google.

      Delete
    2. Wait a year or three and Little Jo will be able to do it all for you whenever you get something new. Kids seem to be born with the knowledge these days.

      Delete
    3. River, they may be able to work things out, but they can do a lot of destruction along the way. Kid's fixing computers or the tv is overrated.

      Delete
  9. Don't remind me of tech stuff. my external disk drive died witj loads of my files and 25000 photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, which you of course had backed up. These things are very inconvenient and I feel for people who lose things that can't be retrieved.

      Delete
  10. Yep. The "experts" don't know any more than the rest of us.

    Some things get easier as technology is refined.

    Some things get more difficult. I haven't understood a TV remote for the last 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it used to be a battle to do anything with a computer, even just connecting to the net, at times. I have not paid much attention to the miraculous things our tv can do.

      Delete
  11. I hate computers.. I can quite often be heard lamenting 'why the bl...y hell am I doing this, its making me CRAZY'! My brother in law insisted in getting a huge tv that you talk to or hand clap.. he just looks like a twat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you wonder why one of humankind's best inventions is so imperfect.

      Yes, I think that hand control is a gimmick.

      Delete