Thursday, March 20, 2014

My almost heart attack

What an alarming headline, yet after eating Sister's lunch of saveloys on bread rolls with grated cheese, a six kilometre walk with an iced coffee along the way, hunger later afternoon and some weed pulling out, putting me in a posture I am not used to, I felt very unwell.

By late afternoon I had pains across my chest, in the back of my neck and in my arms. I was generally feeling absolutely awful, a little faint and not trusting my stability on my feet. I was cold and sweaty. I started to wonder if I was having a heart attack.

Bone Doctor returned from work, but before I could mention my illness, she took off on a bike ride. R had picked up that I really wasn't well and must have said something to Bone Doctor when she returned. She asked me a couple of things, but DID NOT CHECK MY PULSE OR BLOOD PRESSURE OR LISTEN ON A STETHESCOPE.

However, R told me later that she was clinically observing me. R knew I wasn't well as I did not have wine before dinner and barely ate any of the dinner. Bone Doctor's empathy might be called into question at times, but I implicitly trust her medical judgement.

Sister felt unwell immediately after eating the saveloys. I felt unwell later and I could not stop swallowing air and burping. The next day we walked Little Jo to school and along the way their dog did its business and what a stink as I picked it up in a plastic bag. Sister reckoned it was the left over saveloys she fed to the dog.

Right from when we returned from the walk the day before when I felt unwell, I was thinking about calling an ambulance. But I am clever bloke and I can judge the time to call. Many dead Australian men can attest to knowing the right time to call an ambulance. If there wasn't a doctor in the house, I think I would have.

Next day Sister and Bone Doctor were at work and I switched on their radio. Geelong ambulances where overwhelmed and could supplya  timely service the night before. Later I thought, well the ambulance would probably come from Ocean Grove.

Anyway, by ten that evening, I queried if there was any scotch to drink. I, and everyone knew I was then ok.

I awoke early next morning after a fitful sleep, listening to the sound of waves crashing and distant highway traffic. And then the birds started their racket. 

25 comments:

  1. Andrew, so it wan't a nice day for you. But I believe now all is Ok. Greetings from Silesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Gosia, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Doctors have told me to immediately seek medical attention at the first sign of chest pains. Like you and millions of other men I know the best time to summon the ambulance which is usually after waiting and waiting for the pains to pass.

    Did you get to the bottom of why you felt they way you did or have you satisfied yourself with a Men's intuition diagnosis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I did not really get to the bottom of it. I think it was a combination of things. Yes, men's intuition is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  3. That must have been quite scary. You seemed to have been displaying many of the classic heart attack systems! I think I would have called an ambulance for you just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, if Bone Doctor had not been around, I think I would have. Apparently I was showing clear signs that it was not a heart attack.

      Delete
  4. I had a few of these after The beer fairy heart attacks I 'm a bit panicky about chest pain and the other heart attack things so now i wait a bit to see if they go away maybe not a good idea.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is said, call the ambulance and let them decide if it is a heart attack or not.

      Delete
  5. So glad all turned out well. I've had anxiety attacks that I thought were heart attacks and even gas "bubbles" that produced heart attack symptoms. Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I wonder if it was a gas bubble? While R does have anxiety attacks, he suffers from anxiety issues. I try to smooth paths to make sure he is ok.

      Delete
  6. I get acids attacks so bad at times I start sweating profusely and the chest pain is so bad that when out I have to pull over to buy a soda so I can burp. It then gets better. So far so good. I think of calling the doctor but know they would say go to the ER and that is such an unattractive idea to me that I always decide to wait and see.

    Anyway, I can't you are alright and had your sister there to watch you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, ER is not a pleasant place, but here at least, if it really is a heart attack, you will get prompt and good care.

      Delete
  7. Scary how much alike food poisoning and a heart attack can seem. Probably that's why so many die from their heart attack, they're assuming "oh, it's just something I ate probably, wait and see". I'm glad Bone Doctor was keeping an eye on you. Find out where the saveloys were bought and avoid that place. Or at least let them know the goods are not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I shall never eat savs again. I don't even like them much. Goodness knows what is in them.

      Delete
    2. Saveloys are awful; frankfurts are better.
      I buy frankfurts a couple of times a year and have hotdogs for dinner. I make slawdogs, which is a hotdog with hot coleslaw on them.
      Hot coleslaw you say? Well, it's the coleslaw vegetables but instead of mixing with salad dressing, give the mix a quick stirfry. That way you get vegetables along with your hotdog. Dietary requirements covered!

      Delete
  8. Aaargh. I am so glad that you are ok and had Bone Doctor watching you.
    It is a sensitive subject here. When my partner's bowel ruptured he kept telling me he was fine and that he would seek medical attention 'tomorrow'. I called an ambulance - to his fury and was told later that he was dying by the time we reached the hospital. Six operations later we are not out of the woods (more surgery to come) but it is sooo much better than it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you illustrate the situation well. I don't think it is just a male thing, although males are more prone to give themselves the benefit of the doubt and hope things will pass.

      Delete
  9. This reminds me of an old joke.

    Glaswegian looking at his vomit in the gutter:

    "It must have been the carrots."

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has happened to me before, having those symptoms. Always good to be safe rather than sorry! Glad all is well and than I am reading a post from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, yes I am still here. It is alarming when it happens.

      Delete
  11. Blimey Andrew that would have been scary! I tend to totally ignore any strange twinges and hope they go away.. luckily up until now they have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and then you get to a certain age and the twinges become pain, and they don't go away.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you're okay.

    People say better to be safe than sorry. But here in the good old USA, after they keep sending enormous medical bills, I end up thinking. I'm safe...but kind of AM sorry for being such a hypochondriac.

    It's a really hard thing to balance. Sadly, there are people who would be alive today if they had visited the doctor sooner.

    There are people who are saved because they went to the doctor promptly, or they had family members (Like Elephant's Child) who drag their loved ones to the doctor.

    But then there are people who seek care and they end up not needing it.

    I think it would be different in Australia, because there you have better healthcare. Or more affordable, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, yes. Cost is never a consideration about calling an ambulance, with a couple of exceptions. Here it is embarrassment, making a nuisance of yourself and the good old, 'I'll be fine if I rest for a bit'. We have an acquaintance whose wife made him go to the doctor. He was in hospital the next day and undergoing a triple by-pass.

      Delete