Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Dear Ms Quentin Bryce

Well, I better do it correctly, as that is not the way to refer to her at all.

Your Excellency, the Honourable Ms Quentin Bryce, AC Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia. (my commas. I thought they looked right)

As our Queen's representative in the office of  Governor General of Australia you are owed respect. No matter how anachronistic your position is. Does modern Australia really need a Queen's representative in Australia? Do our States need Governors, also the Queen's representatives.

That is seven people on the public payroll, plus their expenses and a retinue of staff. It would be unfair to describe them as people to open fetes, but that is essentially what they are, fete openers.

I will now address you as Ms Bryce, assuming such informality will not have me reported to our Queen and she won't put me in the Tower of London.

Ms Bryce, I think you have acquitted yourself well. Even our dubious Prime Minister Abbott seems to approve of you, or he would not be giving you the status you are about to receive. But truly Ms Bryce, I wonder if The Abbott's hair brained scheme of reinstating Dames and Sirs would not have gotten off the ground if you had not indicated you would accept such a title.

Australia abolished Kinghthoods and Damehoods in 1986. Surely it is enough to have a a couple of letters after your name, so often for people just doing their paid job. Ms Bryce, you already have an AC. Don't you think you are being a bit greedy by wanting to be called Dame Quentin? The pomposity of it is unbelievable. The anachronism beyond the pale.

Am I  being distracted from the really important and mostly destructive things that our government is doing? Yes, but  I am so disappointed in our Governor General Ms Bryce for accepting a Damehood. You sold out sister. You've gone down in my estimation.

17 comments:

  1. 100% agree except that she was never so high in my estimation as she apparently has been in yours: I have met her (she was apparently an old friend of my then girlfriend's mother, and we met at when she was visiting their house) and formed my own skeptical view of her way back then (well, it was 20+ years ago, when she was an improbably elegant and acceptable face of feminism as the federal sex discrimination commissioner).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I am not sure that she was so high in my estimations either. Really, I did not know a lot about her. First hand knowledge is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  2. I wondered why she accepted myself. And think that bestowing the Sir on Peter Cosgrove the day he is sworn in is a tad premature. And how long before Sir John Howard strides the halls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I really wonder for who the awards are intended. I think Howard would be high on the list. Cosgrove is being well rewarded for keeping his mouth shut during the children overboard incident.

      Delete
  3. I also wondered about this. Did Abbott ambush her or was she asked if she would accept the honour first (which is the usual formality).

    Her (presumed) acceptance of the honour would seem out of place with her support for the Republican movement.

    Roll on the Republic, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, Hayden had an almost similar conflict when he became GG.

      It has been suggested she was ambushed, but I doubt it very much. Abbott could have ended up with serious egg on his face, well more than what is there now. Young people are laughing, our about to start comedy festival comedians are re-writing their lines and we of a certain age just sigh.

      Delete
  4. She is a lady and that's about it, she has done nothing with her power and position and I'm damed if I can see What she has done to be rewarded at all just lived the high life at our expense, do we pay her wages or does the queen.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I like your thinking. If the queen wants representation here, let her pay for it. I bet she wouldn't. I think she had done her job adequately and has been paid for doing it.

      Delete
  5. "The pomposity of it is unbelievable" Yes, it is. For heaven's sake why do they need it or want it?
    "Am I being distracted from the really important and mostly destructive things our Government is doing?" Yes. A thousand time Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it did get some nasty things off the front page.

      Delete
  6. Shakes head in wonder - 'whatever was he thinking??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathie, it seems some of his fellow politicians are thinking the same thing.

      Delete
  7. Him, Andrew - not you lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you hear on the ABC this morning that ex-Prime Minister John Howard rejected a knighthood, if and when it might be offered to him. Who knew Howard was a man of principle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Hels. I can only conclude that Abbott and Howard are not best mates, otherwise Howard would have not said anything.

      Delete
    2. Another thought, is Howard re-inventing himself to be a benign elder statesman, as Fraser did.

      Delete