Friday, March 21, 2014

An easier life

Today, Friday, was much more like normal. We breakfasted in Prahran and then did the weekly shopping, which was easy as we did not need much. Have we been out a bit lately?

R went off to wash his car in the afternoon, while I did computer stuff. Well, I tried. Things since the reload were missing. Spell check, for instance. I wrote tomorrow's blog post and not a single wavy red line under anything. Ah, spell check. There is one for IE that R uses, and one for Firefox that I use. Fixed.

We looked at a restaurant website and clicked on the menu link. Ah, no pdf reader. Fixed.

I started working on photos for Sunday's post. Ah, on dvd. Transferred them. Fixed, photos I need are back.

Went to download photos from the camera, but the software was missing. This caused much botheration. I installed the software on the note book last year before we went on holidays so I could back up photos. By comparing the system on the note book to the new one downloaded today, I got the settings right. Fixed.

But I need to save them in Drop Box too. Installed Drop Box, not as easy as the first time I did it, but fixed.

Oh, but where is the right click image resizer? Fixed. 

The battle with Windows Live Mail has been long and bitter. Bring back the simplicity of Outlook Express. R went to send an email and realised he did not have his own identity. Fixed, but we seem to be getting emails in duplicate. Pain!

Of course there was the virus checker to install.

March is a busy month for birthdays, with R's tomorrow, Mother's Monday, Step Mother's on Thursday and now Great Niece on 18th. "Print the envelope for your step mother's card will you", was asked. Ah, no printer software. Fixed.

Note to self, you need three days of time, or 12 hours of straight sitting to reload Windows and get things back to normal.




10 comments:

  1. Spell check? You don't need spell check. Trust me.
    You. Don't. Need. Spell. Check.
    I've just uninstalled Drop Box, I found it far more hindrance than help, since most people I send images to don't have it and I was getting increasingly annoyed at that pop-up window asking did I want to send via drop box every time I tried to send more than four images at a time. I avoid Windows Live Mail too, using Yahoo instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, my spelling is ok, but I am prone to typos and at times I miss seeing them. Drop Box is useful to me to back up photos before I burn them onto to two cds, one as a backup. In the event of a total hard drive crash, I have the photos on Drop Box. Yes, it can be annoying programme, but it is one that you can control via settings.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I have a Drop Box ot works great. Wow you have a big family a lot of birthday parties mine is much smaller. So have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy. And sucessful. Congratulations. January is our family birthday month. And I am always intrigued at the way so many families do have cluster months - celebrations and also sad occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, apart from our birthday filled March, it is not something I have thought about. I will take notice of birthday clusters in the future.

      Delete
  4. I am forgetting what it is like to work on Windows now that I have become Apple-fied.

    When I upgraded to my new MacBook in January I left my 'old' one with them for three days and then collected it and the new one with all my stuff and settings transferred. I admit there were still some changes to become accustomed to but overall it was a straight swap, business as usual.

    Gosh, I sound like those annoying Apple zealots now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be nice to be able to do that Victor. We don't have anything Apple, not because I am against their computers particularly, but just what we are used to. I don't like their lock in music system, ITunes.

      Delete
  5. Well that's two of my comments that seem to have disappeared like sandcastles and planes Andrew... Third time lucky.. Happy now belated birthday to R and try and relax for at least part of your break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I hate it when that happens. And this comment dropped down out of sight in emails, so sorry for the late response.

      Delete