Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Selections

See River's Sunday Selections. Maybe Elephant's Child will have one and perhaps Jackie.

Slim pickings this week. I do have some other photos to post over the coming week though. I may have a a different attitude to magpies if I had been swooped by one, but I never have. I like them a lot. I will post some more about them one day as they are nothing like the European magpie.


I did once say I would not post any more balloon photos, but there of couse must be an exception and it was a balloon newsy week. I am sure there were nine balloons but I can only see eight in the photo. This is the most I have ever seen in one morning. Melbourne is one of the few cities in the world where balloon flights take place over the city, because our airport is quite a distance out and morning breezes are quite calm.


Monday last week two balloons were not too far away and heading directly for our building.  I snapped away as they came closer and they came as close as any have ever, and sailed straight over the top of our building. I snapped away but in my haste the camera did not focus properly so this is the best I can do when one was still a distance away.

The next day, well, a balloon landed in someone's small front garden. See a picture here.


I don't remember sleeping with the door or windows open yet this large moth managed to get in. I thought it was an Emperor Gum Moth, but I think it is too dark. He/she died a day later. It was big.
 

Australia Day has been and gone and there is always a large display of old cars at the King's Domain for the public to ooh and aah over. Here are a couple heading towards the gardens. I had to work, otherwise I would have gone to see them.


Four days of 40 degree heat and then a few days later our distressed elms and plane trees had a massive leaf drop. It was like Autumn. There are still plenty of leaves left to fall in Autumn.

19 comments:

  1. In Polands ballon flights are always over the cities. I love watching them but unfortumately they are in a different part of my country so I am able to see them once a year during long weekend in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting Gosia. I expect there are quite a few cities that have balloons fly over, but we are told Melbourne is the only one.

      Delete
    2. They fly over the city here too.

      Delete
    3. EC, I am really being made a liar, haha.

      Delete
  2. I have always liked the Magpie they are rare here, but my daughter was living about a mile away a while back and there were many around her place the trees must have been more to their liking but still no swooping.
    I saw the story about the balloon on the news it would be a bit of a shock to see one land in your backyard.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think balloon stories like that get wide coverage if there are good pictures. Maggies are nice birds to just watch.

      Delete
  3. I adore magpies and happily feed them. Despite the fact I have occasionally been swooped. And balloons are another of my big weaknesses. Stunning things, to watch and to ride in.
    Cars? Not so much though the vintage ones DO have charm.
    While not being quite as hot as you, we have had a lot of leaf drop too. Hot and dry are not kind to trees (or much else).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I hope they don't swoop the hand that feeds them and they are different birds. I like hearing the balloon gas burners make their roar.

      Delete
  4. Fuck I envy your heat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, today is the first really cool day for weeks. It is 21 degrees and blissful. I like the idea of a nice warm house with wild weather storming outside, but not too often.

      Delete
  5. Love that red balloon. We're getting that not-so-pretty Skywhale over here for one day on March 1st. Not sure why, I read the article, then forgot it immediately, but I'll see if I can get a photo of it on the day.
    I love vintage cars, especially the well maintained ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, is that the blimp? The thing that people used to ride in? I'll check later.

      Delete
    2. I loved Skywhale - and would have happily gone for a ride in her.

      Delete
  6. Poor English trees having to suffer a ghastly hot summer. I'm surprised they've not all turned their toes up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty resilient Fen. The real problem is that many were watered for most of their lives and now the watering has been shut off.

      Delete
  7. How fantastic to look out your window and see the hot air balloons, I would love that Andrew.. Not the landing in garden though :) I hate when big moths get in and flap around but I'd never swat one like I would immediately do to a spider :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I don't kill moths either, much to R's annoyance. Anything bigger than a blow fly is usually allowed to live.

      Delete
    2. Even spiders? Quelle horreur!

      Delete
    3. Grace, if it looks dangerous I will kill a spider, but generally not.

      Delete