Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pride March 2014

I haven't been to every one, but I was certainly at the first and this year is the nineteenth annual Pride March. Pride March takes place along St Kilda's Fitzroy Street and concludes with an afterparty in the Catani Gardens at the bottom of Fitzroy Street.

The forecast temperature was 39 degrees and I was really not sure that it was good idea to go. But we gathered up our skirts and made the effort.  A temporary rainbow crossing was quickly painted on Fitzroy Street.


We used to have lunch on the street before the 2pm parade at the three decade old Monroes, but it closed and changed to Rococo. They did well for us last year but for some reason known only to them, they did not open until 1pm, too late for us who were there at noon.

Here come the police marching, led by Chief Commissioner Lay. 


A couple of our friends arrived earlier and ensconced themselves at Leo's Spaghetti Bar, another decades old St Kilda institution. They would not move tables around for our larger group, but there was a couple of tables joined together with seating for eight. We sweated on it and eventually got it. Perfect.

Yes, love your kids, the gay ones, the straight ones and the confused ones.


Do you know how hard it is for a drag queen to appear in daylight, let alone in stinking hot weather?


Nice fan.


Pulling up at the rear, 'is that an odour from the admirers?'


Australia's oldest and longest running gay radio station, Joy Melbourne. I don't really listen now aside from a podcast I download, Techno Gayze.  The rather grand house in the background belonged to disgraced television personality, and convicted tax cheat Steve Vizard. At least he didn't do a Rolf.


At Leo's I felt we were being watched by management, as if we were all going to jump up and run away without paying the bill. Given the oldest among us was 70, it was most unlikely.

There may be one of those shirt lifter types among the Melbourne Pipe Band, but no matter. The band was most excellent.


A real novelty here, an Asian drag queen and another with a very tight looking set of bosoms. While bosoms are not of great interest to me, I find watching the more genuine wobbling jelly type far more interesting.


Bone Doctor and Little Jo were going to come and march, but decided no once they heard the forecast temperature. As far as I saw, Rainbow Families weren't present this year. I didn't see Yellow Kitties this year, Asian Lesbians, nor quite a few other multicultural groups. I did note Greek and Gay and Aleph, the Jewish male? gay group.


Bernadi is an Australian Government Senator and a US comparison might be Sarah Palin.  He is an absolute ****wit and only in parliament because of the way our upper house Senate works.


There were six of us who lunched at Leo's. After we paid the bill, we then had coffee and had another bill. Including what those who 'called in' for a while and paid cash to us, the bill was well over $300. The staff were quite good but inexperienced backpackers doing a temporary job. They tried and what more can you ask. That was $300 plus that did not go into the coffers of Rococo because they did not open until 1pm. Its loss.

Emergency Services Victoria marched. They have subsequently been quite busy with fires.


Whore Pride, don't you love it.


Trams were not running in Fitzroy Street until after 4.30. We needed to walk to St Kilda Junction in the heat to get a tram home. Our friend offered us a lift home. We walked up Fitzroy Street and climbed the Princes Street hill to his car, which was stinking hot. He kindly drove us home, but it was probably as easy to catch the tram at St Kilda Junction. A nice person in Princes Street was looking after thirsty dogs, and I am sure any other critter who wanted a drink.


21

21 comments:

  1. Its been years since I viewed Sydney's Mardi Gras in person. The crowds of spectators are simply too large and overwhelming (and to be honest, a little frightening) now that I approach (am in?) my senior years. Home television viewing is much more comfortable, apart from the inane commentary.

    Looks like there is far more spectator comfort at your parade, heat aside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, when we went in the 90s there were over 400,000 at the parade and it was quite frightening at times. This year I believe it is on free to air, SBS 2.

      Delete
  2. Melbourne pip band looks like typical British which I have seen during my staying in Scotland. The parade is interesting and amazing one. This kind of parade in my country is iin May in the capitol city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes very much a Scottish pipe band. I think there has been some trouble at your paraded in the past. I hope the haters stay away this year.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Sydney's but you are right much to hot this time or year why don't they wait till April when it's cooler.
    Merle..........................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, at least Mardi Gras is much later in the day.

      Delete
  4. As an onlooker Andrew Melbourne's 'march' seems more in keeping with the needs and wants of the gay community than the specatcle we see from Sydney.
    Big and Brash (like Sydney) it seems to have an almost threatening appearance - well at least through the tv screen that is
    Glad you enjoyed your day
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much a community event Cathy, and they was to keep it that way. There is minimal music. I think Mardi Gras parade is best viewed from a hotel balcony.

      Delete
  5. Thank you. I love that these marches happen. With less antagonism than they once had. And someday those prejudices are going to be consigned (mostly) to the garbage bins of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I don't know that it ever will be completely free of prejudice, but we've come a long way.

      Delete
  6. We used to go to the Gay Rainbow Parade (or whatever it was called) back in the old days. Also the Halloween Parade in the Castro of San Francisco, but as I grew older I found it took too much energy to keep up with parades. I hope you all had a good time. Sounds like you had a good lunch anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, it nice to just sit and occasionally stand and watch the parade. Speaking of San Fran, I like the sound of the Folsom Street Fair.

      Delete
  7. "wobbling jelly bosoms" I personally hate them, and wear sports bras so I don't jiggle while walking fast and especially to stop them bouncing when I have to run for a bus. I see women walking along jiggling and wish they would wear a more supportive bra.
    I don't think I've ever seen a pride march, I've seen on TV that march that takes place at night in Sydney I think? where they're all dressed up with the costumes and feathers, not the same march is it?
    Why do the Police march? Is there a possibility of violence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rive, running for a tram or bus is when they most noticeably bouncy. Are sports bras comfortable?

      Yes, Sydney's Mardi Gras usually gets tv coverage. The police march so that we know they represent gay people, not just straight people. I've put that badly, but I think you can get my meaning.

      Delete
  8. I kept away due to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the main thing for us was to be able to have lunch in the shade, and we did. There was an ok sea breeze too.

      Delete
  9. Monroe's has closed? Now I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an institution Scott. Pity. You would barely recognise Fitzroy Street now.

      Delete
  10. Just so you know.. yes sports bras are comfortable and very helpful if you don't want 'things' to droop :) Good to hear that you enjoyed the outing despite the weather.. we had a brilliant 28C today, I made the most of it, shooting up again as from tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Grace. It's a wonder people don't wear them most of the time. Shooting up???

      Delete
    2. I didn't word that very well :)

      Delete