Friday, February 21, 2014

Poirot Places

The last place Freddie Mercury lived before he died was in an apartment in Montreux on the shores of Lake Geneva in Switzerland. It looks absolutely gorgeous to me. (Waves to Kath in Geneva. Miss you, Come back soon)

It was Piorot who dun it. Saturday night's episode, Labours of Hercules, had the most gorgeous scenery of Swiss Alps and a wonderful hotel in the mountain village of Rochers de Nay above Montreux. Piorot travelled up to the hotel on a funicular. I have spent some considerable time this Sunday past establishing details about the Hercule Piorot tv show episode titled The Labours of Hercules.

The funicular was not the one to get to Rochers de Nay which is serviced by a cog railway train*, but the one at Saint Hilaire du Touvet, the closest large town you may know being Lyon in France.



It's been a while since I have posted a funicular. Switzerland is full of them, hence much distraction looking at various funiculars. Remember how they work? They are cable hauled by a motor at the top and one balances out the other as one goes up a hill as the other descends. There is normally one or two passing places. They are used where a train is unsuitable and the hill is too steep for a conventional tram.

As for the hotel that was shown as being at Rochers de Nay, I say no. But how gorgeous to breakfast in the sunlight on the terrace overlooking the snow laden Swiss Alps.

Ok, it is Halton House in Buckinghamshire that was used as the Swiss Alps hotel.


My attention span is usually about 90 seconds for a You Tube video, but this one of the train up to Rochers de Nay as far as Glion had me mesmerised by scenery, especially at 3.52 where Montreux comes into view.



*Cog railway is a train assisted by rack between the tracks and a cog under the train to engage with the rack. As well as the normal power source and braking, the train also uses the rack and cog. Such a system is necessary when a train has to ascend or descend a very steep hill. The alternative used in both New South Wales in days of old and in India even now, is to zig zag a train up a hill. Zig zagging does take time.

Later edit: If you think you might like Switzerland, have a read of Bill and Diane's travel in the country. 

25 comments:

  1. Fredie Mercury is one of my favourite musician I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was good Gosia. R normally likes blond men, but he loved Freddie.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Did you see the show EC? It was rather good.

      Delete
  3. I saw that show amazing views off the hotel balcony.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty special Merle. Don't think I will ever see it, unless Tattslotto comes good.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful use of your little grey cells, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a kind comment Victor.

      Delete
  5. Harken, harken, music sounds a-far
    Harken, harken, with a happy heart
    Funiculi, funicula, funiculi, funicula
    Joy is everywhere, funiculi, funicula

    Ok ok the song is Neapolitan, not Swiss but at least it was written to mark the opening of the very first funicular service on Mount Vesuvius. How cool is that - 1880!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, every time I think or write about a funicular, I think of that song and wonder what it was about. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
    2. Oh I am a regular fount of useless information :) A great person to have on your trivial pursuit team.

      Unfortunately I can't use a smart phone :(

      Delete
  6. I think Funiculars and cog railways are a great idea, why doesn't Australia have any? Oh, thats right, governments and NIMBYs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is a cog railway in Tasmania, for tourists, and it is quite a long trip. Have I written about it before? Maybe. Can't recall. I will check and that can be a post for the future.

      Delete
  7. Funny, you should write about Montreux. On Monday, the Blogger and i presented an 8-Day Rail Trip in Switzerland which covered the Gold Pass Railway down to Montreux, one of the best rail journeys in Switzerland. We talked about the Freddy Mercury Memorial on the edge of Lake Geneva.
    http://u3atravelgroup.blogspot.com.au/p/some-of-our-stories_17.html.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing co-incidence Bill. R is talking about Canada Rocky Mountains trip next year. Maybe I can dissuade him and we will go to Switzerland. I never realised how beautiful it is. Yours was a great travel post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Switzerland you could bump into Kath....say hi, we miss her.

      Delete
    2. River, I can't really imagine getting there next year, unless you are paying. Kath was only supposed to be there for five years. It might be getting close to that.

      Delete
  9. Hello Andrew,

    Well, a funicular railway certainly awaits you in Budapest although whether we can provide Poirot too is doubtful!

    And, when bored with riding up to the castle in Budapest you can always hop on a tram, a trolley bus or the cog wheel railway. Then again, you can just walk the streets!

    Thank you for your kind welcome. We have missed you and are glad to be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayla, Poirot is a little too fussy for me. Our Budapest tour by coach takes us to Buda Castle, but not using the funicular. We will make a separate visit to see it. It is one of the most attractive funiculars.

      The more I learn about Budapest, the more it appeals tome.

      You too were missed.

      Delete
  10. I like funiculars ! Last time I went on one was in September at the Geneva lake but on the French side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, yes I remember you using it. Good fun.

      Delete
  11. Sorry no can do Andrew, my tum is lurching just looking at the tricky bits :) nut I will agree that the scenery is totally stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, while I am sure you would not want to live in Montreux, if you had to, using funiculars and cog railways is not compulsory.

      Delete
  12. I would love to visit Switzerland. Thanks for the link. My last ride on a funicular was in Bergen, Norway. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, you are much closer to it than we are. You should make the effort. I will check out the Bergen one.

      Delete