Wednesday, February 12, 2014

More LED

The building management committee is trialling LED lamps as replacement for fluoro tubes in the car park. While the fittings hold two tubes each, one from each was removed about four years ago and it honestly did not reduce the lighting by much at all.

Then a year or so later, the tubes were replaced with longer lasting and much more energy efficient tubes. They can be identified by a green ring at the end of tube. I was not so happy about them all being replaced at once and presumably the old ones thrown out. They should have been progressively replaced as they failed. I wonder if the same will happen with these.


I tried to take photos but it was impossible. The lights seem to stay on dully all the time and then brighten when movement is detected. The light is very cold, but I suppose that is ok for a carpark. There seems to be two models being tested, one where you can see each individual LED and one where they are shielded and they appear as normal fluoro tubes. There must be over one hundred tubes in the car park, many in the stairwells and in other utility areas. The running cost savings will be considerable.

Ok, I've looked at some information and two 36 watt tubes are replaced with one 19 watt tube. When movement is undetected, the wattage drops to 6 watts and still provides security lighting. Oh dear, these seem to cost upwards of $250 each. That surely can't be correct.

Here is a photo of the two types of LEDs that I think are under consideration and this link has some further information.


12 comments:

  1. It's a useful advice now I defginitely know what I shoul buy at the weekend at the shopping centre. Maybe it will be a gift foe a Valentine' s Day. I am kidding of course,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, you might hit the person who gave your a light tube for Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  2. Over $250 each!!! I do hope that they are as living up to their longevity claims. Which energy efficient bulbs haven't done in our home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we have had some bad results, especially with those fluoro bulbs. They don't seem to last at all.

      Delete
  3. $250 each does seem like a lot, perhaps it is a misprint and they are $25. I've discovered a store here in Adelaide, through newspaper/catalogue advertising that has LED globes with bayonet fittings for $12.95 each. I'll try one when one of mine fails and see how it goes before I commit to changing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I do know they cost a lot more than that. We have one LED globe in a screw fitting and it is excellent.

      Delete
  4. Someone must've done the calculations and deemed it worthwhile...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so Fen. It is only a trial though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a bit more expensive but I guess they last so much longer.. I've been replacing blown bulbs with the new energy ones, don't like the way they take time to reach full strength :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't have them Grace. I had starting in the dark. LED bulbs are the way to go now.

      Delete
  7. I remember Aldi selling them for around $25.00 not so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fluoro replacement tubes DD? I guess the sensors add a good bit to the price, but even so, that is cheap.

    ReplyDelete