Saturday, February 08, 2014

Living under a conservative government

What a curious and odd thing is happening in Western Australia. We land based critters, known as humans, go into the water and get eaten by sharks in their environment, a couple of people a year it seems in Western Australia.

WA Premier Colin Barnett stands tall for the citizens of WA against the destruction of his population by shark attack, with at least six of his citizens lost to sharks during his term in office. Given voting averages, about three people who voted for him. Hunt, kill and destroy sharks and he has set up a facility to do so. I think three sharks have been caught, and killed. Meanwhile thousands of sharks travel up and down Australian water coastlines. You go out into deep water, and you take your chances. There is little threat to people just paddling or swimming near the shore at beaches.

I suppose this is about the environment and apparently the Abbott government has applied to delist Tasmanian forests from World Heritage listing. What an extraordinary backward step.

I am not sure if our the correct title for him is Federal Minister for the Environment, but no matter. On the edge of Australia's Great Barrier Reef a private mining company wants to dredge hundreds of thousands of square metres of sea bed and dump it on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef. I was alert and alarmed when I heard about it. The Liberal (Tory) (Republican) party Environment Minister has approved the project. I became truly alarmed when he said it was just picking up sand from sand and dumping it on other sand. Be afraid, very afraid on that one.

Of course the Liberal Party is always ready to attack workers' rights. And so has PM Abbott. He attacked the workers' conditions at a fruit canning factory, and has already been proved entirely wrong. He is a very nasty man.

I can live with a Liberal Party Prime Minister, but not a nasty and coldly calculating one like Abbott.

I thought this was quite inappropriate at the gay Pride March this year, so inappropriate in public anywhere really. Such language. Our political leaders are there to make the Australia a better place and while we may not agree with them, there is no need for such vehemence. But yet......I secretly smiled. Good on you man.


Just in case you can't see it properly, here is almost the full text.


27 comments:

  1. A tweet the other day stated that more people have died from sandcastle collapses than from sharks. The West Australian Premier ought to do something about that!

    As for our Prime Minister, he confirms my belief that the more 'Christian' a politician claims to be the less reasonable and tolerant are their policies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, haha, but doubtful about the sandcastle deaths.

      I don't know how Christian The Abbott is, but he seems typical of Christians who speak out loudly.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps Victor meant collapsing sand dunes that people have tunnelled a cave into.

      Delete
    3. Could well be River. I have heard of it happening.

      Delete
    4. Yes River, that was the sort of incident referred to.

      Delete
  2. The old adage - be careful what you wish for - comes to mind.
    Trouble is 'you never never know if you never never go'
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that I did not vote for them, but many did. I wish for a sensible and caring government for all. Too hard, it seems.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post ..... We Americans aren't alone with our nasty politicians who facilitate destruction of the environment. It makes me sad.... I came from Cathy's blob... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle. While our countries are quite different in many ways, our problems are not.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that guy is actually killing sharks. Are you sure he's not a member of our Tea Party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, nail on the head. He is kind of Tea Party.

      Delete
  5. That a Tory government is trying to punish the working class should not surprise us. Firstly working families vote for leftish parties at every election, so they can be punished with impugnity. Secondly if working families' wages go down, that will be more profit for the Big End of town. There is a compelling financial reason to keep profits high.

    But how will killing sharks or destroying the Great Barrier Reef raise profits and disenfranchise working families? It doesn't make sense, even for a very nasty man like Abbottoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think many working families vote for The Abbott. He would not get elected otherwise. These are misguided people, like my mother.

      Yes, what you say is economics #101.

      The government is trusting its mates to not fuck up, to put it bluntly. Apparently their record is not good in Gladstone

      Delete
  6. What will I do? Does this mean Border Security will no longer broadcast footage of those horrible xeno shark fishing in our waters to eke out a meager existence?
    Woe, woe and thrice woe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, there is a solution. We people of a certain age consume natural krill oil, depleting the whale food. Wales and sharks are co-dependent. Reduce the wale population and that will fix up the shark problem. Don't quote me on that.

      Delete
  7. The problem is that politicians don't take care of normal peeple but their aims are are the most important. I believe Australian government is bettrer tha Polish one. In my country Roman Catholic church has had a strong influence on it. So it's not a modern country for me. Environment is not very important for my government but the private companies which are very influiential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I know a good bit about Euro countries. Poland is a country I know quite a bit about. Religion is holding it back but I think the country will advance quickly in environmental areas.

      Delete
  8. I don't see why they can't build shark nets as they've done elsewhere, so the swimmers are safe and the sharks are kept way out in the deep.
    Sand from sand onto more sand?
    They're going to ruin our reef, they must be stopped somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it seems to be mostly surfers and those out deep who get taken. I am not sure how far out nets would need to be.

      Delete
  9. Tshirt guy could have put those badges where they softened the impact of the F word without it being fully obscured.
    The ocean is for the sharks, it's their place. Build a pool.
    Bide your time on our pissyPM he will surely self destruct and we can laugh then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I hope it is sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  10. I've actually been following the shark story from over here, sad that the beautiful creatures are getting killed. And your comment in response to "Hels" reminded me of my own mother, because she votes conservative even though conservative policies do her more harm than good. I don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, it is a bit easier to understand why people my mother's age vote conservatively. There is an historical element to why, involving a Labor Party split many years ago.

      Delete
  11. Just to be clear Andrew shark nets have been killing sharks, dolphins and more over your side of Oz since the 1960's.. That's not to say I approve it at all and you already know how I feel about Barnett and Abbott, pair of wankers both.. Did you see the thousands of WA'ers that have been protesting on Cottesloe Beach where some of the worst attacks have taken place, its not a popular move here at all.. But its not a new move around Australian beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, shark nets are a very NSW thing. I don't think much about them and I don't think we have them here in Victoria. Yes, I did see the protests. Can you confirm it is only people out in deep water who are attacked?

      Delete
  12. Absolutely not, surfers have been attacked really close to shore.

    ReplyDelete