Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Travel Thoughts

I think we will be in London for a couple of days next year. I am so not looking forward to long flights on planes, but I am looking forward to being in Europe and Britain again.

We have been through Picadilly Circus, but I was too overwhelmed by what we were taking in at the time to know it. We certainly saw Oxford Street, but did not make it as far as Oxford Circus.

I hope we can have a meal at our fave Paddington pub in Praed Street, fully staffed by Polish people. No wish to revisit our digs in Sussex Gardens, also fully staffed by Polish people.

When we were last there, R wanted to see a West End show. I was not pro-active about it and we didn't. I will make sure we will this time, crumbling plaster in Shaftsbury Avenue theatres notwithstanding. I have heard the Transport for London museum is quite good and not too far out, so I hope we can see that. After being in Europe for nearly three weeks, I am quite sure we will not want to see one church, museum or gallery in London.

The London Eye is on the list this time. I think that is enough for two or three days. I think we will buy Oyster Cards this time.

Up north we plan to spend a night or two in Edinburgh and see the transport museum theme village of Beamish.

But what I want to do the most is look, wander and observe. We were at St Pancras Station twice in London and at Kings Cross Station once and I can't remember the buildings, apart from the blue roof girders at St Pancras. I remember looking at lots of signs to direct us to where we should be, but not looking around.  We were shown the sights around the town of Newcastle, but we never had time for ourselves to just wander around the city.

18 comments:

  1. I can distinctly remember getting 'templed out' in India, so relate to the church/gallery/museum aversion.
    Happy wandering and absorbing. When are you going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I have been templed out in Thailand and Vietnam. Early May.

      Delete
  2. Good to have the anticipation in the meantime, and the web should make it easy to research 'hidden London' away from the cliche sites. Do some Fam Hist pilgrimage? The Red Lion Hotel on the Thames at Henley was your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Ann, I love clichés. My life is a cliché. I had forgotten about The Red Lion. I think Fun60 walked through there when she walked the Thames.

      Delete
  3. Goodness... a flashback :) My children were born in Praed St, a street name noone else seems to know around here.

    And the last family portrait I received from my son was coming out of the London Eye! Very small world indeed.

    London is the most fantastic place on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily Joseph, I emailed a blog mate in London a day or so ago to ask her the correct pronunciation of Praed Street but she wasn't sure but thought it was like prayed, as I had been pronouncing it. Wasn't HRH Little George born in Praed Street? I did not expect to, but I loved London.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the London Eye is on your list and please take photos for us. Happy Travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course River. It will probably be overcast and raining, but who knows.

      Delete
  5. I was there in 2000, I guess it is still pretty much the same.
    My children were living in Manor Park at the time, they been there about 8months, we stayed a few days then travelled with them around the rest of the British Isles.
    I don't remember the London Eye I don't think it was there then.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, that must have been a great holiday. I am not sure if the Eye was there then. Perhaps not.

      Delete
  6. You are certainly in for a treat Andrew but be prepared for the increase in numbers. Tourists are thick on the ground- I think the pound must have something to do with it. As the transport Museum is in Covent Garden it is easy to combine with a theatre trip. Would advise to prebook London Eye as usually has long queues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, more than in 2008? I didn't find London to be too busy, but then I did not find Tokyo to be too busy either. That would be good to drop into a conversation, when we at the theatre in Covent Garden.... Thanks about the Eye. We will start booking things three months ahead.

      Delete
  7. I will be in London next year too most likely in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, the weather will be very 'iffy' when we are there. I expect it will be very good for you.

      Delete
  8. aaah so very jealous, I wish I could afford to go back for a wee visit. I miss my second home country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, when you meet your wealthy English back packer who is slumming it in Australia and fall in love.........

      Delete
  9. So are you talking 2015 Andrew or this year ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Grace, the problem of writing in advance. This year, 2014.

      Delete