Thursday, January 02, 2014

The year went where?

I don't think I saw a single movie at the picture theatre in 2013. I promised myself I would catch them when they came out on dvd, except I haven't watched a movie on dvd in 2013 and probably didn't in 2012 either.

I managed to read about five books in 2013, and perhaps six ebooks.

In my late twenties and early thirties, as well as reading a book a week at worst, I read The Age and the (Herald) Sun daily, along with Saturday's Australian. Never the Sunday papers though. Now, I buy The Age on Thursday and I'm doing well if I have it read by the next Thursday, and I do skim through any newspaper I find lying around. 

I am terribly puzzled about how I occupy the time now I used to spend reading and watching movies on tv. Lordy, I haven't even read the back of a cereal box this year passed, a favourite childhood breakfast occupation of mine.

But I have half watched a lot of tv and half listened to a lot of radio. I have actually properly tuned into tv a few times, but I used to properly watch a lot more. 

Any clue about what happened to my hard copy reading, tv and movie time? Ok, yes it is a rhetorical question, but have a go anyway.


15 comments:

  1. It's called the internet, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Wombat. I kind of guess that.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to a movie theater in 3 years and miss it. One of these days. I'm still constantly reading -- but mostly e-books and online news. I DO miss the morning "paper." So, do you READ on the internet or just constantly surf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, both. I lot of screen reading really.

      Delete
  3. I don't even remember when I was last to a movie theater, maybe once in 2013, but I am not sure. I prefer TV movies, they are much better and I can watch them at home in my cozy sofa (or bed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I like the social part of going to the movies, like it is a special occasion.

      Delete
  4. It is a loooong time since I have been to the movies. Not going to admit just how long.
    I hope your time has been spent being productive and having fun. Mine? I spend way too much time on the internet and in the blogosphere. And then dealing with must do domestic duties. And should do rather more of that too. I still read though. Which further impacts on domestic chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I spend far too much time in blog world but if I enjoy it, why not? The net has rather replaced book reading for me.

      Delete
  5. The internet and blogworld are responsible for my loss of reading and TV watching. I used to be able to concentrate on all three, now I miss a lot of what is on the TV even though it is turned on for shows I want to see, and reading real books is near impossible if the computer is on. I seem to read so much slower than I used to and by the time I get through the blogs and commenting it's just about bedtime. Add in a few minutes of cooking, shopping and general housework and the weeks just disappear....I miss just sitting and reading. I plan to be in blogland a lot less this year, we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I recall you planned to ease off on blogland once before. It lasted a little while. Sitting and reading is what I am talking about, but then maybe I didn't really do that so often. I was good at snatching five minutes reading time here and there. Times have changed and I don't beat myself up that I don't read hard copy like I used. I enjoy blogland. I don't apologise for that.

      Delete
  6. The rabbit hole called the internet is like a time vortex. You start out at the beginning and before you know it you're 10 years older. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely Fen, although I don't so lost in the www like I used to. I am much more focused now.

      Delete
  7. The internet can certainly be addictive, has it swallowed your reading and 'other things' time Andrew ? I have a pile of books by the side of my bed and try to read a few chapters before I go to sleep.. I doesn't always happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Grace, it swallows a lot of time, including time that may have been spent swa.........nah.

      Delete