Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Dirty Housewife

Today was my day off from work. One day of relief from the heat. I did not know how hot it would be when I booked a doctor's appointment. The bus to take me there was cool and the one to bring me home was also cool.

Prahran Central was cool when I walked in, but after a while, it no longer felt cool. After the doctor and then the Medicare claim visit, I had my hair cut, and then bought a couple of things at the supermarket. I thought that was enough time out in the weather.

R, who knocks off work early in such heat, had other ideas and dragged me off to the big tin shed hardware shop in Port Melbourne. I was astonished that the big tin shed did not have cooling. Never mind me, who chooses to visit, what about the staff?

We went on to Bay Street for some lunch at a well known bakery. R nudged me about a famous football person. It took some time for me get his name, but he not a football player but a football player manager who has been in the news more often than he would like to be. The bakery had two air con units pumping out freezing air, which made not an iota of difference in the bakery. It was stinking.

We came home and I tidied up two boxes as can be seen here.  There is very little left in the electric/tv/audio crate, and not too much in the plumbing/screws/glues crate either. They were bulging and now much reduced. Wires, plugs, leads, adaptors, old glue, old plumbing bits, castor wheels for something, all gone.  I cannot throw out screws though. They all went into a container. You never know when you may need a screw, big or small, no matter. I also kept wall plugs. Like screws, you never know when you will need a plug.

Last night I went to bed at midnight, but I was up at 6.30 with a determined mind. We have had visitors and I have been embarrassed about the state of our balcony windows and balcony glass. While I knew some cleaning was needed, at the end of last week we must have gotten a salt spray from the sea and the balcony glass was almost rendered opaque.



By 7 I was cleaning. By the time I finished at 9, with some breaks, it was 34C and the sweat was pouring from me. We now have crystal clear views. I so need a young boi to do such tasks.

Speaking of crystal, Grandmother and Grandfather never knew that Mother ordered crystal door knobs throughout their new house when Father built it. The crystal knobs also went on wardrobes and this is one from Grandmother's dressing table. I don't why I kept about six of them from the dressing table, but I did. I found them in the plumbing crate today and they did not get chucked out.


14 comments:

  1. oh they are lovely and when Copperwitch sees them she shall be coveting thy neighbours' knobs.
    hope you stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought when I saw them - and beautifully phrased.

      Delete
    2. Ann, Jah Teh covets many things. They are too heavy for earings.

      Delete
    3. But screw them onto a painted piece of wood and attach to the wall to use as coat and hat hooks, like the picture JahTeh had recently.

      Delete
    4. Could do River, but certainly not on my walls.

      Delete
    5. On mine then.

      Delete
  2. So glad you didn't chuck out those crystal knobs. What a treasure. I've got some organizing to do; maybe you could come and help. Not hot here (and not cold either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, the temptation is very great.

      Delete
  3. You never fail to make me chuckle Andrew.. all that talk of screws and plugs could have elicited a very suggestive comment but instead I'll just say if you want rid of the crystal knobs send them my way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace really. You read too much into what I write. I'll keep my knobs. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. You had a busy day and in all that heat, at last someone who agrees with me air conditioning only works for a limited time and the air does heat up slowly when there are a lot of people around.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was too much outside stuff for me, but it is ok at home in the cool.

      Delete
  5. What energy. Here in the heat I am doing my best to turn into a troll and only come out at night. Though I did water the plants on the front veranda this morning. And do some washing.
    As little as possible for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while we have and use the air con, I think you notice the heat more when you are used to being cool.

      Delete